Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Is this a poerful enough power supply for my charger? >

Is this a poerful enough power supply for my charger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a poerful enough power supply for my charger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Is this a poerful enough power supply for my charger?

I plan to buy the new Orion Twin Spec Charger when it is released in just a little while. It is capable of charging two batteries at once at up to 10 amps each. Will this power supply work if I am charging two 2S packs at 10 amps each? Could I go higher? I'm not sure how to figure out at what point this power supply would be limited.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-138V-20A-260W
Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BeeRye86
I plan to buy the new Orion Twin Spec Charger when it is released in just a little while. It is capable of charging two batteries at once at up to 10 amps each. Will this power supply work if I am charging two 2S packs at 10 amps each? Could I go higher? I'm not sure how to figure out at what point this power supply would be limited.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-138V-20A-260W
It probably wouldn't be enough at the start. Just don't charge them quite that high, or get a rivergate bulldog power supply.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey, if u referring to Lipos that u wanna charge, the charger must be able to charge at CC/CV mode.
There are a few Power supplys that have CC/CV mode, but that one u linked doesnt seem to have it.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voodoo Child
Hey, if u referring to Lipos that u wanna charge, the charger must be able to charge at CC/CV mode.
There are a few Power supplys that have CC/CV mode, but that one u linked doesnt seem to have it.
Power supplies do not have CC/CV mode. They just provide DC power to the charger. Chargers are what have CC/CV mode. Do not confuse the OP with information if you don't understand what you are talking about.

Someone here can provide the math, but I have a 10A power supply and when I charge two LiPos at 5A each, it only pulls 7A from the charger.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by klaymon
Power supplies do not have CC/CV mode. They just provide DC power to the charger. Chargers are what have CC/CV mode. Do not confuse the OP with information if you don't understand what you are talking about.
Iam not confusing anyone here- iam a pro tech and i know definitely what iam talking about- trust me, there are few Power supplys that have CC/CV mode!

But not this one.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A 2S lipo at 10amps takes 8.4v x 10a = 84watts, two of them at once will take 168watts. That's a 260watt power supply and even with some allowance for slight charger inefficiency, that's more than enough wattage to let you charge a pr of 2S lipos at 10amps.

This new Orion charger is a dual charger and is rated 1S to 6S lipo/life.

If you figure that 220watts of the supply is actually contributing to charging (rest is inefficnency, about the std assumption of 20%, rounded off), then that 110watt per channel. If you want to know when you'll be limited charging at 10amps, then it will start at 3S. You'll only be able to charge at 8.7a for a 3S.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Voodoo,

Show me a link to one and I'll retract my remarks.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by klaymon
Voodoo,

Show me a link to one and I'll retract my remarks.
A Power supply is not only a Power supply u can use it as a charger aswell for PBs or some may have additional charge modes to:

http://www.graupner.de/en/products/6490/product.aspx

Edit: link repaired
Old 07-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

I'll retract my remark about the non-existence, but who in their right mind would charge a LiPo (as volatile as they can be) with a power supply with no safety checks built into it and no way to monitor the battery's state? Let's keep it simple for the OP here. As Duster has shown, the PS in question is more than adequate and as long as he has a charger that has a LiPo mode, that's all he needs. You're delving into uncharted and unnecessary territory with the power supply you linked to.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yea, iam sorry i didnt read Bees post carefully, its getting late here. I thought he want a PS to charge his lipos or else. I read his post too fast!

So Sorry!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

FWIW - Mastech HY5020e power supplies are being used to charge a123s which use CC/CV mode. Lipo's do require more precise voltage control than these PS can manage and most don't use them for lipo.

There are threads on RC Groups about how to set one up for CC/CV charging.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I've deceided to go for a cheaper charger after considering things but I atleast now know how to pick the power supply for the charger. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

There are quite a few cheap power supply's that can supply at 40A which is what you should be looking at.