Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have been waiting for this radio to become available for sometime. I wanted to get a 2.4 radio that would be good for racing and bashing and that I could use for all my cars. For awhile I was looking at the Spektrum's but the cost of receivers really turned me away. I really like how the receivers are only $6-7 for these. I ordered mine from wellqin but accidentally chose china registered mail instead of EMS. Guess I will be waiting a few weeks for mine haha. I have a feeling the wait will be worth it.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eds24
I have been waiting for this radio to become available for sometime. I wanted to get a 2.4 radio that would be good for racing and bashing and that I could use for all my cars. For awhile I was looking at the Spektrum's but the cost of receivers really turned me away. I really like how the receivers are only $6-7 for these. I ordered mine from wellqin but accidentally chose china registered mail instead of EMS. Guess I will be waiting a few weeks for mine haha. I have a feeling the wait will be worth it.
I am like you eds, I am always building.Right now the current fleet of racers and prototypes is at like 14 cars, so to out fit them all with spektrum would cost like 700.00 for used or around 1000.00 for new.You can buy a hell of a lot of 8.00 receivers for 700-1000.00!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

The price of receivers is the main reason I'll be sticking with the GT3b, despite it's problems. The frustrating thing is that the problems were not the result of cost-cutting (which would be understandable), but of poor design decisions. A reflective LCD display would not have cost more than the backlit version (it might have been cheaper). Having a wider trim range is only a matter of changing a few lines of firmware code. Heck, they almost certainly could have had 100 model memory instead of 10 model memory if they'd just bothered to add another digit to the display. It's almost as if the people designing these things have never actually used an RC car.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very interested in this radio......any more reviews/photos coming?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Still waiting for mine to arrive.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool, I have a little time before I need to make a decision.......but I'm eager to find out about alternatives to the $200 2.4ghz options from the big name manufacturers.

I'm a "budget racer" I guess.....so I just want something that's cheap that works, but with some adjust-ability.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Also waiting on mine. I've got a new 1/8th scale waiting to drop the receiver in. As long as the radio has a good signal and is constructed relatively well then I will be happy. All I need as far as advanced adjustments is EPA, Dual Rate and Expo.

I'll try and post a mini review with decent pics when I get mine.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kcobra
Also waiting on mine. I've got a new 1/8th scale waiting to drop the receiver in. As long as the radio has a good signal and is constructed relatively well then I will be happy. All I need as far as advanced adjustments is EPA, Dual Rate and Expo.

Please do Kcobra, I'm trying to get into 1/8 electric myself, and I'm on a budget, so this radio definitely has me interested.

MC
Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcobra

Looking forward to it...thanks in advance
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Hopefully this shows up either today or tomorrow I will have a good window for testing over the weekend.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Received the GT3B today. Initial impressions are decent. Construction quality is about the same as any $99 sport radio sold in the US. It's a relatively small radio, although the 8 batteries are heavy.

The large LCD is more of a gimmick than anything. All the features could have just as easily been done on a small LCD. There are no graphs or anything like that. Display only shows one setting at a time. You scroll through the displays.

I do like the scroll knob. Makes navigating the menus a breeze.

Other thoughts:
  • There is no sub-trim.
  • Model names are limited to 3 characters. Character choices are A-Z and 0-9.
  • No model reset that I can find.
  • Manual comes on a mini-cd. No printed manual.
  • The receiver is very small. Is tiny compared to my Futaba HRS 75mhz receivers.

I will say the ebay seller (force-control) set a new standard for crappy packaging from Hong Kong. They literally took the retail box, turned it inside out, wrapped it back around the styrofoam radio mold and shipped it. On a brighter note, shipping was fast. Received it in less than 2 weeks.

I'll take some detailed pics of the radio and menus this weekend and post them. Won't be able to test out the radio until Thursday.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default GT3B Initial Impressions

I just received mine yesterday from Force Control as well. The LCD is a disappointment and it cannot even been seen indoors during the day, so I am doubtful of it's usefulness under outdoors. There is no indication of the unit is switched on except the LCD back light which switches off after a programmed interval.

I just hooked it up on my workbench briefly this morning, servo travel is very limited despite setting the endpoints to 120%, trimming is almost non existent.

But after having said all this, I still think this is a bang for the buck product once they get all this sorted out possibly by a firmware upgrade.

Construction and ergonomics of the product is good. Weight is just right.

More to come when it's installed on my Kyosho Inferno.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

I'm glad I didn't pick one of these up. If what you guys say is true it has less features than my gt3. I would probably look at it if I didn't already have the gt3 though.

Does it still have the strange trim inconsistency issues?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petrolhd
I just received mine yesterday from Force Control as well. The LCD is a disappointment and it cannot even been seen indoors during the day, so I am doubtful of it's usefulness under outdoors. There is no indication of the unit is switched on except the LCD back light which switches off after a programmed interval.

I just hooked it up on my workbench briefly this morning, servo travel is very limited despite setting the endpoints to 120%, trimming is almost non existent.

But after having said all this, I still think this is a bang for the buck product once they get all this sorted out possibly by a firmware upgrade.

Construction and ergonomics of the product is good. Weight is just right.

More to come when it's installed on my Kyosho Inferno.

Mine's waiting for me at the post office but after reading what I've read so far I'm thinking about selling it already. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to trying it out now.
There's got to be some programmers out there checking this thread out who are willing to fix these problem---right? Lord knows FlySky won't come out with any updates.
As for the dim LCD I wonder if that can be fixed with perhaps a brighter LED or do you think this is integrated into the LCD display itself. I seem to remember guys replacing LCD displays without lights with ones with lights in chargers a few years back.(can't remember which one)

Anyways...as I said I'm not looking forward to this TX anymore
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

didnt get mine today.Maybe tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.