Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Charging 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Lipo Charging 101

Couple of quick questions. I've been charging my nimhs on the Venom charger for the past 2 months no problems.
But I just picked up some SMC 2s 6000 28c batteries. And for the life of me I cannot figure this charger out to set the fucntions.
I know how to enter the charge mode which I have set at 5amps with a 6000 cut off.

The balance I have set at .1amp
Fast charge= Im not sure what to set this at?
Storage how does dunction work?
disharge, why would I need to discharge the batteries when I run them anyway.

Anyhelp would be great, I tried the search funstion with no answer to the questions above.

Thank you again
Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Fast charge is not applicable to lipo - lipo charges a 1C or 2C or higher if the manufacturer tells you you can. A 1C charge rate for your lipo is 6amps (6000/1000).

Be sure you have charger set for lipo as the batt type - usually all the chargers I've worked with for lipo only ask for lipo batt capacity is (in mah) and how many cells - the charge rate is set 99% of the time the 1C charge rate for the info setup in the charger. Lipo needs the CC/CV charging protocol so you do not risk overcharging and potentially damaging a cell.

The balance rate is applicable only when the charger is balancing only - I think it uses 300ma when it is charging and balancing - my Hyperions this is not something you can specify.

Storage - say you're leaving for a long time, months, and you want to protect your lipos. Typically you charge them to a specific percentage, like 50% (I've seen yp to 80%) and then leave them until you come back. If the Venom is like my Hyperion, the charger looks at what percentage you input for "storage" and then looks at the lipo. If it needs charging to get to the input "storage" value, charger charges it. If the lipo is already over that level, charger discharges it - this is the discharge rate you can sett apparently on the Venom. My Hyperions, this is set at 300ma. This is all based on voltage - current lipo voltage vs cell max voltage of 4.2v/cell. Charger may briefly "test" the lipo to determine voltage under some kind of load to determine "current" voltage.

Other than storage use described above, you do not discharge lipo other than running them. NiMHs you do so a real discharge fucntion is prob intended for NiMHs and not lipo.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

I have been reading charger manuals and I realized i was incorrect earlier - FAST mode for charging lipo is a special option to reduce charge time. Lipo charging has 2 phases, CC/CV. The last mode takes the longest and only tops off the batt usually the last 10% or so of capacity. I think the fast mode option eliminates the CV portion of a lipo charge, so when the constant current part of the charge gets cells to max cell voltage (4.2v/c) this fast mode is complete. The charge rate would be the same as a regular charge, 1C (or higher if allowed by manufacturer).

You trade last 10% of capacity or so for a 20-25min shorter charge. That can be nice if you're racing.

Last edited by Duster_360; 04-13-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank You Duster for the clairifacation on the charger settings and examples as well. That really helped me through and I charged up my first set of LIPO's with no problems.

Thank You
Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

Glad to help out, good to know you got it setup!!