Lipo cut-off cutting off too early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo cut-off cutting off too early?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Lipo cut-off cutting off too early?

I just installed a Novak Havoc brushless system in my Slash. When I run my Orion 5000 lipo down to the cut-off, the charger only puts about 3600mah back in the battery. Wondering if the problem was the battery or the ESC, I put my Orion 3400 lipo in. When I ran that to cut-off it only put 2500mah back in. Is the cut-off cutting off too early? I know the cut-off is set at 6.25V but it shouldn't cut that early should it? Thanks for the help, I have researched quite a bit on lipos but don't have much on hand experience with them yet.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Your cutoff may be a tad high, but I don't think anything is wrong. Can you set it lower, say 6.15 or 6.1v and see if that makes the charge amount go up, lets you drain more from teh batt - get better runtime. You can run as low as 6v. I use 6.2, but its with my CC escs and they prob handle this differently.

If your setup is pulling good amps, as you drain batt, you may be pulling volts down enough to trip cutoff. Also kinda depends on your setup too. Something heavy responds a little diff than something that weighs less (Emaxx vs a RC18).

Without knowing more, hard to say there's a prob. Email Novak and ask them, they're pretty good about support - Novak2 seems to read the electric on and offroad threads.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Unless absolutely necessary I wouldn't go a whole lot farther, for best lipo life most recommend only using 80% of the capacity. You are not much short of that.

Adding to Duster's comments, gearing can also impact the shutoff vs. used capacity, for the same reason, amount of load on the battery.

Off subject, were you known as Duster 340 or 318 in your younger days?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info guys. The motor is geared properly but I think I'll go ahead and drop a couple of teeth since that 8.5 has plenty of top end. As far as the cut-off I can only turn it on and off, but it's not a big deal just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. I think I'll email Novak just to see what they say. I've heard that lipos can "break in" is this true? Does that mean I may gain capacity before the voltage drops off as I run more cycles? BTW I think duster's name may have to do more with Xbox's than Mopars.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
.....Off subject, were you known as Duster 340 or 318 in your younger days?
No - always been '360'. FWIW, I bought a new '71 Duster when I got out of college, but with economy in a funk and saddled with student loans to pay off, I couldn't afford the V8, so I got the 6. Actually, my Dad wouldn't co-sign the loan of the V8.....even the 318...

252,000 miles later, its in my garage slowly changing little by little to the one I couldn't buy back then. Have a fresh '86 360V8, new trans, 8 3/4" rear end, disc brake setup, and all new front end ready for transplanting. I'm pulling it apart and cleaning stuff up as I go. Engine bay is next. Long way to go, but it will get there and will be a better car than what I could have bought back then to boot.