Search

Airtronics M11X

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
Two questions.

Speed difference fhss2 versus fhss3 receivers?

Re-bind required every time you switch between fhss2 and fhss3 receivers?
What happened to all the experts on here? Did you all go over to the M12S thread?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 AM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Two questions.

Speed difference fhss2 versus fhss3 receivers?

Re-bind required every time you switch between fhss2 and fhss3 receivers?
I definitely feel the speed difference between fhss2 vs fhss3. My timing was off when I switched between the two types of receivers.

As for re-binding receiver, you will not have to re-bind if you use different model memory for each receiver.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CL
I definitely feel the speed difference between fhss2 vs fhss3. My timing was off when I switched between the two types of receivers.

As for re-binding receiver, you will not have to re-bind if you use different model memory for each receiver.
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much....
Old 06-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Ok. Tried out my new used M11x. Really liked it but I have a range issue. Only 50 feet away my car stopped and didn't respond. Started walking towards the car and it came to life. I ran three cars all had glitches at max distance. So I pulled out my trusty MXV and everything was fine.

Before I ran the M11x I noticed the antenna had some heat shrink at the base and when I moved it, it came apart. So I replaced the antenna with one from a wifi camera I have. It could be that antenna so I ordered a M11x antenna from Hobby People. I'll report back next week if it fixes the problem.

Any other recommendations?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok. Tried out my new used M11x. Really liked it but I have a range issue. Only 50 feet away my car stopped and didn't respond. Started walking towards the car and it came to life. I ran three cars all had glitches at max distance. So I pulled out my trusty MXV and everything was fine.

Before I ran the M11x I noticed the antenna had some heat shrink at the base and when I moved it, it came apart. So I replaced the antenna with one from a wifi camera I have. It could be that antenna so I ordered a M11x antenna from Hobby People. I'll report back next week if it fixes the problem.

Any other recommendations?
Definitely sounds like the antenna. You could check out the m11x antenna handle mod (search). Absolutely optional, but it does protect the antenna and puts it in line with the later gen radios.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

The original M11x antenna is just a standard wifi router style antenna. It's the same as the one from a Futaba 4PKS and any standard wifi antenna. I replaced mine with a Team C mini antenna (identical to the Kawada B-64) and it's been working perfectly since I put it on and no range issues whatsoever. Looks great and works great. But any standard wifi fitting antenna should work just the same.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:13 PM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

When using fhss3 receiver, make sure to set modulation on the transmitter to use FH3 and not FH3F. FH3F does not put out the same power as FH3.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the recommendations. I did use a standard Wifi antenna off my wifi camera and it is the one I have trouble with, so I'm hoping the official Airtronics one is good. I didn't think about the antenna handle mod, I wish I had, that gets rid of the external antenna, I would have liked that! I may buy a shorty, but if the new Airtronics $13 antenna works, then I'll be happy.

On another subject, I downloaded a slo mo camera app for my iPhone. I took video of the response time between the steering wheel and the steering servo. There is a 1000 fps option (I'm sure it's not a true 1000 fps, but it does slow down the video (takes 34 seconds for 1 second real time). Anyway, I got right at 29 msec response time on my FHSS-2 receivers and the same with my FHSS-3 receiver (RX-381). I checked my kid's Flysky and it's about double this, around 60 msecs. But the key here is the FHSS-3 is no faster than the FHSS-2 receivers.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

OK, checked both antennae, old one and wifi one, both would stop working around 50 feet. My MXV went over 200 feet and no problem. I took the back off and the lead to the antenna looks like it was soldered and it pulled right out. So I'm thinking I need to cancel the new antenna and buy the antenna wire to do the mod.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

OK, I need some help from you good people. The best I can tell is the guy took a short lead and soldered one end to the internal cable (where it had pulled out of the connector), stuck the short wire up through the connector and actually soldered it to the antenna where the small nub sticks out. That's why it was heat shrinked. But the lead was no longer soldered to the antenna. I tried just sticking the lead back up the connector and using the new wifi antenna but that didn't work. I was thinking about soldering it back on, but I'd rather do the mod.

So the help.... Is this what I want to buy?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...pole-2-4g.html

And how the heck do I get the little gold connector off the small circuit board, I certainly don't want to break anything. Does it slip off side to side or do I just pull up?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 06-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Pinch the gold connector with your fingernails and it can be popped off carefully. Looks like you could simply install the new antenna you linked to onto the circuit board and route it through the handle- job done. You bypass the external coupler and avoid the soldering mess. Just put a rubber cap or such over the old coupler connector.

I would want to check the guide and pics to the m11/m11x mod first but can't seem to find it.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by raz14
Pinch the gold connector with your fingernails and it can be popped off carefully. Looks like you could simply install the new antenna you linked to onto the circuit board and route it through the handle- job done. You bypass the external coupler and avoid the soldering mess. Just put a rubber cap or such over the old coupler connector.

I would want to check the guide and pics to the m11/m11x mod first but can't seem to find it.

Youtube is your friend because I found a video of how to remove the U.FL connector. Just like you said, thank you. And I went ahead and ordered the internal antenna. And I found a black rubber cap in my toolbox that fit perfectly over the old antenna connection on the outside. And I went ahead and ordered the 2300mah lipo transmitter battery. This is a great forum, thank you for your help. Of course, this $50 transmitter is up to about $100 total, but it is very nice and I am going to enjoy it.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Youtube is your friend because I found a video of how to remove the U.FL connector. Just like you said, thank you. And I went ahead and ordered the internal antenna. And I found a black rubber cap in my toolbox that fit perfectly over the old antenna connection on the outside. And I went ahead and ordered the 2300mah lipo transmitter battery. This is a great forum, thank you for your help. Of course, this $50 transmitter is up to about $100 total, but it is very nice and I am going to enjoy it.
Good deal. They're great former flagship Airtronics radios. I own a pair and still see many in competition use. Very fast response equal to the MT4 IIRC.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

M11X Latency testing. This is kind of crude, but gives you an idea. I downloaded an iPhone app called SloPro. It has a setting for 1000 frames per second. I really don't think it's a true 1000 fps, but it does slow down the video. I recorded my watch and it takes 34 seconds on the video to cover 1 actual second. So one second equals 1/34 seconds or .029 seconds or 29 msecs.

I tested the M11X with a FHSS-2 receiver (RX371) and repeated it with a FHSS-3 receiver (RX381). I used a stop watch and got 1 second from the time I turned the steering wheel to when the front wheels turn. So approximately 30 msecs. And guess what, it was the same exact speed for either receiver.

I then tested my son's FlySky. It took around twice as long or approximately 60 msecs.

Then I tested my Airtronics MXV. I really thought it would be the same as the M11X, but it was around twice as long or approximately 60 msecs.

So the Transmitter really makes a difference. I'm going to like this new transmitter as soon as I fix my antenna issues.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, the M11X will feel MUCH more connected than a Flysky radio system. Ensure you're running decent servos e.g. Savox 1258TG and add a glitch buster/capacitor if they're browning out under power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.