Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Hobbywing XR10 Pro Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Hobbywing XR10 Pro Issue

Posted in a couple threads but figured i might have better luck making a dedicated one. Hoping some of you can shed some light on my situation. Built a tekno et410, running mks550 servo, hobbywing xr10pro and 5.5t g3 motor, spektrum sr315 receiver and gens ace 5500mah 65c batteries. Having an issue with the esc where if starts out normal then after about 30 seconds the car slows until it stops. if I stab full throttle the cuts in and out but car barely moves. It will move on 1/4 throttle but slowly. Not sure if batteries in using are bad, my charger says each sell is the correct voltage. Went through the parameters in the program box and lowered the voltage cutoff to 3.2v. No change. All the other parameters are factory. Anyone else running this motor/esc have issues like this? This is my first electric car after a long hiatus being out of the sport. Any info will be appreciated, thank you.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do the easy stuff 1st. Recalibrate. Check all solder joints. Default esc. Basically rebuild the car in your head and check those steps all the while. Im the minority here, but I am not a fan of HW. Ive had so much bad luck with faulty esc's.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1
Do the easy stuff 1st. Recalibrate. Check all solder joints. Default esc. Basically rebuild the car in your head and check those steps all the while. Im the minority here, but I am not a fan of HW. Ive had so much bad luck with faulty esc's.
Tried recalibration, I I’m going to pull it from the car and check all connections and sensor wire. Have a spare on the way because I’ve read that they can cause issues. It’s got me stumped
Old 05-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've had weird things like this happen due to cold solder joints at the motor. To check to see if you have cold solder joints, grab the wire and try to wiggle it, tug to see if it comes off.
Reheat and make sure the solder flows well on both the wire and solder tab on the motor.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In my experience, 75% of the time its the sensor wire. Thats why I always have 2 or 3 in my box.
simple, billdelong, trf211 and 2 others like this.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1
In my experience, 75% of the time its the sensor wire. Thats why I always have 2 or 3 in my box.
This. Hobbywing's sensor wire that come in the box and use the outer wrap can often pull slightly off the plug and disconnect when you cram the stiff sensor wire on the chassis. The softer easily manueverable sensor wires don't really have this issue.

It's always a good idea to double check sensor wire plugs by using a small headed tool and pushing each side of the sensor wire plug into the esc. You may hear a little click when it is seated correctly.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by trf211
This. Hobbywing's sensor wire that come in the box and use the outer wrap can often pull slightly off the plug and disconnect when you cram the stiff sensor wire on the chassis. The softer easily manueverable sensor wires don't really have this issue.

It's always a good idea to double check sensor wire plugs by using a small headed tool and pushing each side of the sensor wire plug into the esc. You may hear a little click when it is seated correctly.
thank you all. I have a new sensor wire coming in the mail. Going to test that out in a day or so when it shows up
Old 05-06-2020, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 282 (100%+)

Did you try a different battery to make sure that's not the issue?
Old 05-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Probably the esc not being able to handle that much motor in a heavy 4wd truck. That esc has a 5.5t motor limit in a buggy. Try turning the motor timing down and lower your gearing a little. Does the esc get hot?
Old 05-07-2020, 05:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by waitwhat
Probably the esc not being able to handle that much motor in a heavy 4wd truck. That esc has a 5.5t motor limit in a buggy. Try turning the motor timing down and lower your gearing a little. Does the esc get hot?
haven’t even been able to run it long enough to get some heat in the motor. Currently set in zero timing mode and using a larger pinion gear to offset heat. Two batteries i had did the same thing. I get maybe two full throttle runs up the driveway before It slows down and then just stutters when I grab full throttle. I can get it to move with about 1/4 throttle but it moves slowly. If worse comes to worse I contacted hobbywing and they will warranty it.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by AEracer888
thank you all. I have a new sensor wire coming in the mail. Going to test that out in a day or so when it shows up
Even better to simply disconnect the sensor wire and see if the problem goes away, it will cog really bad on slow speeds without the wire connected but you will know if the motor is good after that.

Also check your gearing and temps, if you overheated the motor at any point then you might be experience severe fade from a bad rotor that may need to be replaced. I would remove the pinion and check for any binding in the drive line as well. Temps will tell you if something is wrong:
What gearing for upgraded electronics?
Old 05-07-2020, 08:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong
Even better to simply disconnect the sensor wire and see if the problem goes away, it will cog really bad on slow speeds without the wire connected but you will know if the motor is good after that.

Also check your gearing and temps, if you overheated the motor at any point then you might be experience severe fade from a bad rotor that may need to be replaced. I would remove the pinion and check for any binding in the drive line as well. Temps will tell you if something is wrong:
What gearing for upgraded electronics?
I haven’t even had the motor and esc working properly long enough to even get it remotely hot. 17t pinion, stock et410 spur gear I forget how but but I’m using the recommended pinion size for the truck. I will unplug the sensor wire and see what happens. I have a new one on the way. If I can’t figure it out hobbywing said they will warranty it and replace the esc
Old 05-07-2020, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Also place a piece of paper in between the pinion and spur to set the mesh, if the gap is too tight, that can over heat the motor in seconds
Old 05-08-2020, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mom, one more thing are you absolutely certain your battery is getting a full charge how long is it taking and what ampere are you using
Old 05-14-2020, 10:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Have you managed to solve the issue yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.