• 1 Post By ta_man

Hoping to return but need advice on batteries, chargers, connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Hoping to return but need advice on batteries, chargers, connectors

Hi All,

I was an avid RC offroad enthusiast about 10+ years ago. Started with nitro and migrated everything to electric. I have a first gen Slash, Jammin' SCRT10 and RC8 I converted to electric. I have a Tekin motor and Mamba Monster ESC for the buggy, and Novak stuff for the SCRT and Slash. Back then, I decided to go with all Traxxas connectors because I could buy the plugs and solder them onto everything. Apparently, that's no longer an option. I also found out Traxxas' ID technology means if I use their batteries I need their charger (no more separate balancing plug). I'd like to purchase high quality, non proprietary batteries for all my vehicles but it seems Traxxas is not the way to go to remain universal with the connector type. Do I switch to all deans? Another connector? Are separate balance plugs even a thing any more? Any and all advice you're willing to share on batteries, connectors, chargers and the like is appreciated. I look forward to getting back into this awesome addiction.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Separate balance plug is still a thing. It's only the Traxxas packs that have that. Traxxas made it so that only their packs and chargers came with their plugs rather than selling the plugs on their own so it's hard to find traxxas plugs to put on chargers.

XT60 and XT90 are the best plugs imho. Easiest to solder, hardest to mess up while assembling. Deans are only rated for 45 amps continuous. The XT plugs are rated for 60 and 90 amps continuous. Also the spring on the deans plug can wear out after a while. The XT plugs seem to last for a long time.

For race setups I like using the packs that have 4 or 5mm bullets built into them and then I solder bullets directly onto the ESC wires. Highest risk of pluging in backwards, but makes for a clean setup. I make the wires short so that they can't be plugged in backward. Just use solid/slotted plugs and not the spring plugs that come with some batteries because they tend to fail.
t0adman likes this.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 for XT90s. I've been running Deans for years in my MBX6 but I'll switch over one of these days. The anti spark XT90s are especially nice.
t0adman likes this.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Go xt60 on everything 4s and below IMO. Deans are about the worst plug out there.
t0adman likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks everyone. One of the things I love about this hobby is people's willingness to help. I'll pay it forward!

Aside from more cost (I'm assuming) for the XT90s, is there any reason not to use them in applications where they're overkill? Would it be safe to just get all XT90s and not worry about it or are they higher resistance, etc?

Any thoughts on a quality battery manufacturer that isn't a major brand with major brand markup? Or is it worth the extra expense? Same for chargers. TIA!
Old 05-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

For good but affordable batteries check out SMC Racing and RC Juice. IDST and SkyRC make good but affordable chargers.
t0adman and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

If you want to be extra economical get a solid DC only charger and an adjustable 12V power supply made for LED strips. I run a sub $20 400W 12V power supply with an adjustable output that I have set to 16V. It is perfect and the build and circuit design isn't bad.

For discharging I have a few AOkoda 150W discharge modules. $10-20 each and it let's you use your chargers for something else.
t0adman likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use deans and they are ok. I am very careful what wires i use. Pick up an HP750 computer power supply and mod it, very easy. Then get a Junsi 206 charger or/both HK Reaktor 250. One does 20 amps(Junsi) and the other 10. Go to dirt cheap hobbies and check out Vant batteries, they are very powerful. If the battery has a 10 gauge wire , then use a 10 gauge wire from battery to esc.
t0adman likes this.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0adman
Aside from more cost (I'm assuming) for the XT90s, is there any reason not to use them in applications where they're overkill? Would it be safe to just get all XT90s and not worry about it or are they higher resistance, etc?
XT90s are rather large. Size would be a reason not to use them where they are overkill.
t0adman likes this.