Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bd007
  • 1 Post By savage24x

Transmitters which work as game controllers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default Transmitters which work as game controllers

I'm looking out for a new/used radio to replace my ancient 40mhz hitec Lynx 3D. I also play a fair bit of VRC so I'm wondering if there are any transmitters out there which can plug directly into a PC via USB and be used as a joystick/game controller?

I'm currently looking for Sanwa M12 or similar models, do these have this functionality?
Old 09-04-2018, 02:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering
I'm looking out for a new/used radio to replace my ancient 40mhz hitec Lynx 3D. I also play a fair bit of VRC so I'm wondering if there are any transmitters out there which can plug directly into a PC via USB and be used as a joystick/game controller?

I'm currently looking for Sanwa M12 or similar models, do these have this functionality?
I don't think so, though the USB VRC adapter dongle will work with any radio.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think VRC plugs into receiver, so any radio with receiver will work.
JoshuaRC10 and nickcza like this.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have a cheap flysky i use for my bashing stuff and VRC... comes with a USB adapter in the box. No high-end radios I know of have the same thing out of the box.
nickcza likes this.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

plugs into receiver is nice. so you got a "wireless controller" for the game. You can stand on the sofa to pretend you were standing on the driver stand. ha
Old 09-05-2018, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Just look for a DSC port, not sure of any high end radios that have them, I have only seen FlySky and Radiolink so far that include a DSC port. You simply use a DSC to USB simulator cable and then calibrate via the game port controller on the PC.

There might be other systems out there with a DSC port.

Something else to consider is if you are using an older Wifi that only supports 2.4Ghz or have devices that are limited to 2.4Ghz and can't use the newer 5Ghz band. When using VRC, I have found my Tx will tend to kill the Wifi and prevent other devices from using the 2.4Ghz band while I'm playing to game.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by savage24x
I have a cheap flysky i use for my bashing stuff and VRC... comes with a USB adapter in the box. No high-end radios I know of have the same thing out of the box.
I was looking at the flysky, does it work well in general?
Old 09-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering
I was looking at the flysky, does it work well in general?
I used to think FlySky worked well in general, certainly gets the job done... but over time FlySky has disappointed me and I found Radiolink to be far better for roughly the same price.

Issues I had with FlySky
1) On/off button would stick because it's a push button, sometimes it would accidentally turn on when stored in a carry case!
2) Rx's would fail on me as often as every 3-6 months, though I have heard the newer generation of Rx's tend to last longer
3) Only 3 character model names and limited selection of characters to choose from
4) Limited advanced programming features such as lack of channel mixing unless you hacked the system but even then you will have to give up other features

For VRC, none of these issues really matter, but if you think you might want a dual purpose system, then I prefer Radiolink, I've ditched all my FlySky systems in favor of Radiolink
Old 09-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

I have a Futaba 4PKS-R that has a port on it that outputs PPM(looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack). I have a PPM to USB adapter and it works really well. I like it because it allows you to access all of the channels of the radio, compared to the 2 of the VRC adapter. I bound a button on my radio to the marshal car command in VRC so that I don't have to take my hand off the transmitter to marshal my car.