Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio Telemetry Logging Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Radio Telemetry Logging Options?

I'm looking to buy a new radio, to replace my very well used (and still running) DX3R. I very much want a system that has well integrated Telemetry and datalogging. I've run eagletree systems recorders in the past, but they add so much weight and complexity to the car, I find myself adding and removing the system a lot for racing.

With the latest generation radios, M12, 4PX, DX5R, DX6R, maybe others, it seems like someone should have really good telemetry logging including information from the ESC. I've been reading spec sheets and manuals for radios and esc's, but I'm not finding a lot of great explanations of what can and cant be done in this space.

What esc's support streaming telemetry back over the radio system? It looks like the latest Castle Creations esc's can do so, as well as at least one purpose built Sanwa unit with integrated radio. Is that really it?

There are two main steps I'm looking to accomplish:
1) Get the information off the esc and back to the transmitter.
2) Log the information in the transmitter for review afterwards.

Is there anyone out there doing this on a regular basis? What is your setup and what advice do you have?
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

I’m running a sanwa mt44 with a sanwa vortex pro gen 2 esc for data logging. The mt44 lets you export the runs in .csv format to a sd card. I then upload the file to plot.ly to make graphs. The system is able to log rpm, temp of the esc temp and the motor if your motor has a built in temp sensor. Battery voltage and Throttle/steering input.

You can record full runs buy usint the INT timer feature or use the normal LapTimer and click a button on the remote each time you cross the line. I have used both with no issues beyond forgetting to hit the button lol.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Is anyone running the Castle Creations telemetry with a Futaba or Spektrum radio and happy with it?
I can't seem to find a conclusive answer about if the DX6R can actually "log" telemetry data.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a DX6R with the latest software and castle telemetry link does not work with it unfortunately. The DX6R uses raceware. The castle telemetry link only works with spektrum's airware products. It's a bit frustrating and I've called castle about it, they said they are waiting/hoping spektrum will release some kind of communication code/protocol to them so they make it work like they did with airware. The castle telemetry link for futaba does work with the 7PX. Something I wish I knew prior to buying the DX6R. If you go on castle's site they have a compatibility chart for spektrum and futaba.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Lord

On a Dutch forum there was a guy who made a translator to connet Castle Creations telemetry to Futaba's S-bus

SBUS2 Futaba Telemetry uit een Castle Creations ESC zonder extra sensors | ModelbouwForum.nl
Old 04-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Castle sells an adapter for this purpose, communication with sbus. http://www.castlecreations.com/en/telemetry-link-for-sbus2-010-0152-00

It is confusing because they also sell one for spektrum, but as the person above posted , it doesn't work with the DX6R.

If I've read the futaba literature correctly, the 4PX and 7PX can both log the data for later review.

Can anyone speak to the castle / futaba combination? Does it work "as advertised"?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Suspended

What were you hoping to do with this data? Are you racing on track, or are you driving around in a field? What type of vehicle and what scale?

​​​​​​​All of this information is needed if you want an answer that might actually help you.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I race Dirt Oval in the summer and off road indoor in the winter. 1/10th buggy for indoor and SC based classes for dirt oval. I have some 1/8th buggy chassis laying around that I'm contemplating building into something for the oval. If I were to do that, I'd go up to 3 cell. My old 1/8th buggy setups were all based on 6S lipo and slow motors (optimized for run time and low temps).

I'm fully confident in my ability to analyze the data. I have a lot of experience with the stand alone eagletree systems logger, and have a variety of scripts written in scilab that do automated post processing. I am primarily interested in logging motor current, voltage, speed, and temperature as well as throttle and steering inputs. I like to measure ambient temperature as well. My main script that I use needs GPS data, but I don't think that is an option here. I think I can live without it though, if it reduces the complexity of the installation as much as this potentially could. I have also used a couple versions of their accelerometer and done special tests looking at skid pad type performance.

I can post process the data and calculate my own lap times as splits in the run, calculate the max power output down the straight, and look at thermal build up over the course of each lap. If you have the GPS information, and you are looking at practice data, you can automatically "fix" your laptimes for when you have to self marshal. Things that can be done with telemetry data is its own whole really interesting discussion.