Search

Asphalt sealer/ Top coat for TC track

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Asphalt sealer/ Top coat for TC track

Guys we are looking for advice on sealing/top coating our track. Goals are high traction, low tire wear and attractive looking track. Not looking for arguments against but real experience with either one and the best way to do the one you have the best experience with. Our track is being updated to attract more Touring Car racers in the Southeast primarily, but of course for anyone willing to come race. We have had Nats champ Mike Lufaso, Nats stock A-main finalist Brandon Melton, as well as Keith Trapp, Arun Misra and a host of top NC/SC/Ga. drivers to come in and have a great time. We are now in a position to take the track surface to the next level with higher traction levels and the overall quality of the track. We need help from those that own or race at tracks that have been prepared in a way that gives us those attributes. Phase one is the track surface itself and how to best achieve our traction/tire wear goals. Help us out Ripon Speedway guys, old TFB guys, or North Carolina racers as I know you all have experience with the kind of track I speak of. Be sure to look forward to great things from Carolina RC Speedway in the near future, especially with your help and knowledge.

Thanks
Rodney T. Keasler
Old 11-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Guess no one knows alot about this.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There's a message board called The Starting Grid. It's mostly 1/8 on road nitro racers. They had a thread about this, if you want to take the time and look for it. Go to www.rc-racing.com and follow the links to the free conferences.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Scottsdale rc speedway resealed there track once it was great the first week the second week it was ok by week three traction was bad and took even more soda than it took before the reseal to get it to work.The sealer looks good but it it ends up to smooth and does not let any traction aids (soda vht ect.) soak in it just sits on top of the track and if you are not careful it gets slimie and very loose.The only fix was to repave it 3 years ago and it has been perfect ever since.if your asphalt is not in real bad shape I would not do it just for looks.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

do you know what sealer was used in AZ? Our asphalt is in rough shape. We have tested with raceway driveway sealer in a few turns, and it seems okay. We just want to gather some info to see what works best. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Don't know what kind of sealer was used that was 4 years ago.You are in the south east maybe you could contact some of the nascar tracks they might know of a good sealer to put on the track?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Okay we just went through the exact same thing this last summer. Our track was pretty cracked up and we really couldn't afford to re asphault it. We used a sealant and it helped, but definately has its drawbacks. It was the really liquidy mixture with lots of sand in it. I'll try and get you the name. We use grape soda on it and the traction is just okay. Once it gets run on for a while and rubber gets laid down, it gets better, but not super high bite. Also, it doesn't really fill the cracks, its too thin. You need to fill the cracks before sealing. It is really gritty now and tire wear is kind of high. I would say that from what we gathered, resealing isn't the best option, only the cheapest. If you are desperate, go for it, only it won't be the best solution. The track is Intermountain Raceway in Magna Utah. It is outdoors too.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

thank you fellas. Rodney, here's the number for that racetrack:
Intermountain R/C Raceway
8481 W 2700 S
Magna, UT 84044-1327
(801) 250-8303

if you or donnie want to contact them.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, contact a guy named Q-Ball (Jeremy). He was in charge of organizing the re-asphalt and works at the track. The track is closed on Mondays.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rodney ...... contact me at 209-481-2879. I am the race director for Ripon and have been racing on the track sence it opened. I can answer most of your questions.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

You might be able to get some help here too

http://www.pavementpro.com/index.php3