Wiki Posts
Search

New TCS motor rules

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerryH
So I have to say, I'm really disappointed in the new motor rules that Tamiya America announced recently for the TCS races. Myself and my 2 boys have been racing RC for several years. The TCS races were always considered a fun race that didn't require an outrageous investment.

2 years ago we only raced touring cars. The next year we bought minis and raced two classes. This year we bought F1s and was planning to race 3. The F1 was great because other than the spec class, it was the only class where you could race the car out of the box.

I recently learned that Tamiya isn't happy sticking to 540J motors or ROAR approved motors. They want everyone to buy a specific $90 motor for both mini and F1. Motors that outside this race, wouldn't be used anywhere else.

They could have selected the Novak 25.5t motor which is used in VTA races and most racers that I know already own this motor. But instead Tamiya picks a motor from a rival company, Reedy/Team Associated.

For a company that's trying to promote it's brand by conducting these races across the country, they have certainly killed my interest in buying any more Tamiya models and racing in their event. I can't afford it, especially for just one weekend a year.

I can understand if an event is held at the national or world level, having strict standards. But at the regional level, where you're really trying to build interest in your brand, making things so restrictive and expensive seems counter productive.

I'm surprised they haven't instituted the same rules in their other classes. Maybe that coming as well. If they wanted to slow things down, it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to do so with a gear requirement. If you are going to tech motors by making sure it has the correct rotor, it's just as quick if not faster to confirm a certain pinion/spur.

I'm planning on contacting Tamiya America to voice my opinion. I urge anyone else that feels these changes are unnecessary to do the same.
(800) 826-4922
Fred Medel - Marketing Manager
Brian Matteson - Director of Operations

If anyone has any other suggestions on who to contact, please let me know.
Ok
Old 02-11-2016, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by honda1
Ok
So have you called them yet?
Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
I think you mistaken Spec Novice with GT Pro Spec class. Spec/novice uses silver cans while GT Pro uses Reedy M3 21.5
If you have raced in previous TCS races as I have. I am not supposed to race in the Novice Class. It's only for new racers.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
If you have raced in previous TCS races as I have. I am not supposed to race in the Novice Class. It's only for new racers.
No its not only for new racers, its for new drivers as well as drivers with little or no experience
So it depends where your skill level is at!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
No its not only for new racers, its for new drivers as well as drivers with little or no experience
So it depends where your skill level is at!
I've had too much experience.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have too much experience, but not enough skills.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml
I have too much experience, but not enough skills.
Same here.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It was silver cans, then any Roar 21.5t, and now it's a specific Reedy spec motor... Next year or two, tamiya will choose another spec motor manufacturer at will , so get ready for it folks... It is time for tamiya to do like the ETS , and provide their own Esc&motor pre-teched combos right at the gate entrance of their events... If we pay for the cars, they should pay for the esc/motors... I predicted this a long time ago...

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 02-12-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

TCS rules clearly state this rule will remain in effect through 2017.

One thing's for sure any ROAR 21.5 motor is definitely not the way to go.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Regarding comments about the Novak 25.5. I didn't realize VTA wasn't as popular on the west coast as it is here in the midwest. I wasn't trying to say the Novak motor was any better or worse than the Reedy. I was just saying it's a motor I use all year round at various race events and because of this I was willing to pay the $90 for it. I knew there were other inexpensive 25.5t motors out there. But because it was something I'd be using a lot, investing the money was acceptable.

The places where I run mini are more relaxed and will not be enforcing the Reedy motor rule. So getting a return on an investment on the Reedy motor will be hard. And as I've stated before, I expect that within 2 years there will have to be a new "spec" motor because Reedy will discontinue the v3.

The difference between this Reedy motor and the Novak is that Novak made this motor specifically for the VTA races. It's not going to stop making them as long as VTA continues to be a popular class. Do we have assurances from Tamiya Americas that they have a similar agreement with Reedy?

I know the experienced drivers are trying to get a trip out of winning the races. But I've also heard that if you advance to Japan, there are rules that are enforced there that don't exist in the US.

The foundation of my argument was to enforce these more restrictive rules at the nationals and allow more relaxed rules at the local/regional level. Get people out and racing. Not everyone there wants or expects to advance to the next level.

Maybe your prize for making it to nationals is a hand out Reedy motor that was dyno'd such that all motors where even. But I'm sure if there's an opportunity people will find a way to cheat. And that's the sad thing. A few racers who have to win at all cost, penalize all the rest of us.

I realize that Fred has somewhat a thankless job. Racers (of all types of vehicles, RC and full size) are the biggest bunch of whiners I've ever seen. If you're not as skilled as others, you have to get better, faster equipment to make up for that and sometime resort to cheating.

But his job is marketing. What is the primary goal of marketing? Getting more people to buy your product. It's not appeasing a few racers so they get a free trip to Japan. The TCS races were having the effect they wanted. Every year I invested in new Tamiya cars. But I've already decided I'm not racing F1 which was my new vehicle for this year. I was considering a TRF for next year, but I'm definitely not buying any more Tamiya cars.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Tamiya racing in NYC is centered around one hobby shop in Staten Island. He's been promoting Tamiya racing since the beginning, and doesn't see it slowing down any time soon. There's even a new class this year. I'm not sure what it's called, but the rules are even stricter than mini. He's already sold a bunch of kits and many more are looking to get them.
I live on Long Island. Never heard of a place in Staten Island that runs Tamiya. I currently run a 418 and a 419. Could you please let me know more about the shop/track. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yxiaocheng
I live on Long Island. Never heard of a place in Staten Island that runs Tamiya. I currently run a 418 and a 419. Could you please let me know more about the shop/track. Thanks!
You should move your questions / posts to the Tamiya Championship Series thread. That is the more appropriate place to ask questions about the series than a thread created to complain about the new rules. You will get better response on the other thread,

With that said, if you have a 418 and 419, you can only race them in (1) TCS class (because they are carbon plate chassis cars) called GT-1. The GT-1 class is 13.5 blinky class.

Here is the link to the Tamiya website and their TCS Racing section: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/index.php#.VsueCuEYF2A

Direct link to the rules page: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/rules.php#.VsuePuEYF2A

Panda
Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
You should move your questions / posts to the Tamiya Championship Series thread. That is the more appropriate place to ask questions about the series than a thread created to complain about the new rules. You will get better response on the other thread,

With that said, if you have a 418 and 419, you can only race them in (1) TCS class (because they are carbon plate chassis cars) called GT-1. The GT-1 class is 13.5 blinky class.

Here is the link to the Tamiya website and their TCS Racing section: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/index.php#.VsueCuEYF2A

Direct link to the rules page: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/rules.php#.VsuePuEYF2A

Panda
I was aware of the TCS class regulations. I was just interested what track the other guy was talking about. Sorry if I intrude anybody.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yxiaocheng
I'll drop you a pm with all the details, our schedule hasn't been posted yet
Old 02-23-2016, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Well for spending 90.00 for the mini class did not
Make racing any closer
1st 32
2nd 31.
3,4th 30
5,6,7th. 29 lap
8th. 28

Last year
1st 28
2nd 27
3,4,5,6,7,8th. 26
Last years result running At the same track were better with out the rule change.
One guy schooled them again so it did not matter, thank you I will keep my money in myPocket on this one. Good luck

Last edited by honda1; 02-23-2016 at 05:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.