The Coliseum at HobbyTown USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Coliseum at HobbyTown USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

saw this on the track thread boss, are you going to adapt?

Rules Addendum for new Trans Am 21.5/Lipo option

1. In accordance with guidance from the U S Vintage Trans Am Association (USVTA), “The Track” will to add a 3rd battery /motor option for the Spring Trans Am series. This option will be incorporated into the next USVTA rules update, probably in the May / June period.

1.1 The motor added under this new option is the Novak 21.5 brushless. Part # 3121(21.5SS Pro) or 3120(21.5 Crawler)

1.2. This motor ( and this motor only) maybe used with a 2S/7.4 volt lipo battery pack.

1.3.The lipo battery pack must :
- be “hard cased”
- fit in the same space as a 6 cell Nicad/ Nimh pack
- rated at 4600 Mah or less

1.4. Initially a Final Drive Ratio (FDR) limit of 3.99 will be imposed on the 21.5/ lipo combination. FDRs of 4.0 to 99.99 are permitted. This limit may be changed at a future date.

2. Existing Trans Am minimum car weight (1450 grams) remains unchanged.

3. Existing motor / battery options remain unchanged: 4 cell Nicad/ Nimh pack with either: ROAR stock 27 turn motor or 17.5 brushless motor.

4. Although USVTA rules will not require it, the Lipo battery must be placed in a “lipo sack” for charging. This is ROAR requirement and supported by “The Track”.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With a FDR or 4.0 the car will be amazingly slow, I know its the rules just saying. My 17.5 is at 3.48 currently.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
With a FDR or 4.0 the car will be amazingly slow, I know its the rules just saying. My 17.5 is at 3.48 currently.
You'll be surprise

I saw 21.5 +2S Li-Po ran yesterday.....ummm enough for me to went to the store
Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The greatest thing about the RC hobby is that they can never make up their minds..... The main reason I wanted to get into the Trans Am series was that Lipo's and brushless motors were NOT going to be allowed...... Now they are....

Now it's time to sell everything..... and take up fishing...... at least that doesn't change as much as this friggin hobby
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by BigJim14226
The greatest thing about the RC hobby is that they can never make up their minds..... The main reason I wanted to get into the Trans Am series was that Lipo's and brushless motors were NOT going to be allowed...... Now they are....

Now it's time to sell everything..... and take up fishing...... at least that doesn't change as much as this friggin hobby
you dont have to sell everything.... brushed 4 cell can race right along side the brushless lipo guys. The USVTA founders have done their best to make sure all the combos that are legal offer comparable performance. Run what you are most comfortable with / already have in your pit box
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losithrasher
saw this on the track thread boss, are you going to adapt?
I will change the rules when they are changed here.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

You can still run the other setups, no one says you have to run the brushless or lipo combo.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

What are you afraid of?

For example, like my self to run the BL/Li-Po combo I have to balance the car and Li-Po pack like the way I balanced my touring car. 2S Li-Po pack will take up the room on the right side of the chassis, no room to move the electronics to the right side of the chassis.

BL/Li-Po will be carrying much more weight down the track then a brushed/4 cells combo set up. My self will be looking to haul 1560g instead of 1450g.

Beside like the others said, you don’t have to switch to the new technology if you don’t want to do so.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

I thought Trans-am was designed to be fun and cheap . It was a place for all the brushed motors and sub c batteries to go after brushless destroyed touring car racing. I will not be going out to buy a $300.00 motor and speedo to run the slow spec class of trans-am.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

No Jim I fished B.A.S.S. pro circuit for 4 years before I got into the r/c thing fish change on an hourly basis,,,,,R/c changes weekly,,,,

Last edited by LBSR415; 04-16-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

I am not really sure what VTA was designed for. Perhaps like you said, it was created to be a cheap, low cost to operate and a friendly class for a new comers or drivers who just got started in the hobby.

Think outside of the box for a moment, let take the car, radio gears out of the equation. For the new comers to get starts.

$35.00 for 1 27T stock motor
$165.00 for Brushed only ESC
$120.00 for 3 of the 4 cell packs
$45.00 for a cheapo analog discharger/equalizer tray.
$155.00 for LRP charger

It come to $520, it doesn’t even include the motor Lathes and other accessories for the motor and batteries.

Now for the BL/Li-Po to get started you’ll need.

$90.00 for 21.5 BL motor
$199.00 for Brushed/BL ESC
$85 for Li-Po pack, you only need one to practice and race.
$135.00 AC/DC Li-Po charger

It comes to $510. It clearly cheaper to get starts with the BL/Li-Po combo then the brushed and SUB-C.

Most of the new comers when they hear about low maintenance of the BL/Li-Po VS Brushed and SUB-C, most likely they will buy in to the BL/Li-Po combo. Ask yourself as if you were new to the hobby the same question and see what you think.

Opening another motor and battery option will bring more people in to the other aspect of an R/C car racing.

For existing driver like myself I’m only out $90.00 for the 21.5 motor and $40.00 for a set of the VTA tires since I am sharing the same car chassis and the Li-Po battery. Now that is cheap and that is why I decided to get into this VTA class just to hang out and fun racing with a bunch of friends (Although I don’t have many LOL).

I’m not sure why when you get more people into the class/hobby will destroy the class/hobby. I have always hear people are saying the more the merrier.

Beside for the past 40 some years I have not found any hobby that I enjoy and cheap yet. I’m out $130.00 to get started in VTA class it is cheap compare to get starts with the brushed/sub-C combo.

Seeing a grown men crying – that’s priceless
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by komkit
LOL
Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ray k
I thought Trans-am was designed to be fun and cheap . It was a place for all the brushed motors and sub c batteries to go after brushless destroyed touring car racing. I will not be going out to buy a $300.00 motor and speedo to run the slow spec class of trans-am.
Brushless was far from screwing up touring. That was all done on its own by having 35 different classes of touring, 500 plus dollar kits, and rubber and foams tires you use for a run or two oh and those great NIMH cells that last for 10 chargers.

Hell Ray riding your Buell is far from cheap as you shred tires like touring cars do.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I Think outside of the box for a moment, let take the car, radio gears out of the equation. For the new comers to get starts.

$35.00 for 1 27T stock motor
$165.00 for Brushed only ESC
$120.00 for 3 of the 4 cell packs
$45.00 for a cheapo analog discharger/equalizer tray.
$155.00 for LRP charger
First off your prices are a bit high..... and your equipment standards are a bit high too, but if they are your requirements, I respect your opinion.

Now here is a problem..... there is no one crying..... my opinion is MY OPINION, please don't ever think I am crying or whinning..... You have no idea who I am or about.....so please respect my opinion.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

An entire brushed/NIMH setup to be competitive when you start with nothing probably costs more than a competetive Brushless/LIPO setup from the beginning.

I bought all the brushed and nimh stuff last year and it ended up costing alot more than my lipo and brushless stuff I bought this year. To be competetive in brushed nimh you need new and good batteries often along with a good lathe and new motors more often than new batteries. Plus time on the track is great.
With lipo my battery lasts 3 races probably without recharging (the battery has been taped in my car for 5 races now never taken out). I also no longer spend time messing with my motor so I can at least kinda hang with faster people, rather I spent time setting up my car and practicing not spending money on new brushes and destroying my motors with my crappy lathe. Before I did not race sedan because it was so harsh on motors and I could not afford it, now its great because its so cheap and easy to maintain!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.