Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale grid irons

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default GT SPEC class... How much is your club letting you upgrade?

GT SPEC class... How much is your club letting you upgrade?
Oxymoron maybe...

With the issues of the IGT/IGT2 cars stripping gears and blowing out clutches I am curious what your club is allowing you to upgrade?
Motor?
Clutch?
2 Speed?
anything else?

What are your rules...
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

my track no one really wants a spec class so it's pretty much wide open.

so far no one has dropped in a 600$ engine but it's only a matter of time.

A few run foams most run rubber, we have a few modded two speeds I know of at least on guy running the Ipanema blackhawk tranny (still waiting to see that run)

So far mostly stock bodies only seen one protoform body to date.

Personally I'd like to see a 200$ engine price limit and rubber tires only. everything else is fair game in my opinion.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by regg151
Personally I'd like to see a 200$ engine price limit
And then people will come with a C6BB-7T with a C5 head or a cheap RB RT28 with TM928 internals....
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by regg151
Personally I'd like to see a 200$ engine price limit and rubber tires only. everything else is fair game in my opinion.
That's exactly what we've done in Utah and we're happy at the moment...
Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by _Hier_
GT SPEC class... How much is your club letting you upgrade?
Oxymoron maybe...

With the issues of the IGT/IGT2 cars stripping gears and blowing out clutches I am curious what your club is allowing you to upgrade?
Motor?
Clutch?
2 Speed?
anything else?

What are your rules...
Gears are being stripped, because the mesh isn't tight enough. I made sure I had that taken care of, before racing. And so far, I haven't stripped my second gear. With the clutch blowing out. This is the first I've heard of it.

As far as upgrades go. It's been left open, but all the cars are running stock engines, or $200 engines. And it has come down to driver skill.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here in Texas, we run spec and open classes for the GT cars. The rules are a hodgepodge of the rules that are currently out there that I gathered up, put the best parts of each and set it out for our club to use and modify as they see fit. Our open class is open to any .28 and under engine and any mods that you want to make to the car, but have to run rubber tires and car bodies. Our spec class has a specific $200 limit engine rule (have a set list of usable engines) and can use any upgrade parts that are specific to said car. We are allowing the OFNA, Thunder Tiger, Power Racing, and any other brand of IGT-styled that is currently out on the market. Same rubber tire and car body rules apply. We do not allow foams to be used.

If you don't want to go through all of the above, you can run the cars box stock with no mods or engine/tire changes.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Gears are being stripped, because the mesh isn't tight enough. I made sure I had that taken care of, before racing. And so far, I haven't stripped my second gear. With the clutch blowing out. This is the first I've heard of it.

As far as upgrades go. It's been left open, but all the cars are running stock engines, or $200 engines. And it has come down to driver skill.
Even with the mesh being very tight, I have stripped out at least four more gears and exploded two more (broken into two pieces {as posted on the other GT thread}). I am running a tame Sportwerks M26 pullstart engine on mine (one of our spec engines) and still keep stripping/breaking 2nd gears.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Even with the mesh being very tight, I have stripped out at least four more gears and exploded two more (broken into two pieces {as posted on the other GT thread}). I am running a tame Sportwerks M26 pullstart engine on mine (one of our spec engines) and still keep stripping/breaking 2nd gears.
Are you running bearings in the spur gears instead of the metal bushings? Have you added shims to your clucth bell?

I bought my IGT used, thankfullyt eh person before me had already done all that for me. I only had to change clutch bell once because the spring popped...shattering my clutch bell.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale grid irons

oops