Wiki Posts
Search

Ghost farts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Ghost farts?

Okay, I am frustrated.mi recently started to use lacquer based black for the fine detail and shadows. It works so much better than water based it isn't even funny!

The problem is I get weird misty patterns in the body. I prepped the body first by washing it good and then I wiped it down with alcohol.

I am not using liquid mask which I have read can cause this.

What can I do? I should have taken pictures but I am sure you all know what this looks like.

Anyways, I am thinking of switching back to wb paint if this keeps up.

I have read about the body prep spray but I don't see how that would keep over spray down. Am I using too much pressure? Paint too thin? If I don't thin it I get a stringy cotton candy mess.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Testors sells a bue tack cloth that works great with just enough tack to pull the overspray, but not enough to leave any residue. After you spray your shadows whipe the body out with the tack cloth.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Mist in a surface pre prep before spraying the black shadows and problem solved.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Lower your pressure and get in closer. It will take a little to get the feel, but low pressure low paint volume will keep the overspray to a minimum.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Or a layer of transparent base will form a nice surface for paint to stick where sprayed.

The pre-prep with alcohol or a commercial prep product works perfectly also.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Larry (Kustom RC Graphics) and Dave (Colors by Dave) are correct. The basic purpose of the preprep, depending on brand, is to remove the static build up that occurs from removing the tape or lmf. I have also had this happen with w.b. paints as well. Can't go wrong with the preprep.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

I ordered some to try but I am not sure I made it clear enough, I hadn't removed any masking at that point.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

There's still a static charge that builds up on the surface from wiping it clean. From the description of the paint stringing I assume that you're using Pactra paint. That has to be reduced to at least 50/50. sometimes more. Also what pressure are you shooting the lacquer paint at? You should be shooting it at 15-20 psi. What pre prep did you order? Just curious.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Yes, I am using Pactra paints which I quickly found need to be thinned a lot more than I thought! I am running about 15psi or so and have had luck shooting at 10 psi even.

Would shooting at 10 increase the ghost farting? I like spraying at lower pressure with thinner paint as it give me more wiggle room for mistakes and finer control.

I order the LAST bottle of RCS body prep from Chris along with a few RCS candies.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Why does it seem I get more ghosting with lacquer paints vs water based? I don't remember having this problem before.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

pictures say a thousand words as the saying goes..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

I've experienced the ghost farts with both wb and lacquer paints although less so with the wb paints. Like I said it has to do with the static charge that builds up on the polycarbonate. Jon's (RCS) pre prep is by far the best at eliminating that static build up. Shooting at the lower pressure will help with the ghost farts but not eliminate it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Pactra always had issues with me. With a .35mm tip and even reduced with regular reducer it just sprays cobwebs everywhere. I found using HOK U00 which is their striping reducer (very hot) worked best. The stuff in the pactra that makes it flex and stick good on plastics doesn't seem to work well with typical reducers.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jonmills
pictures say a thousand words as the saying goes..

Ick...who takes pictures of their crappy work! Well, I actually have a few that I think I could dig up. Next time it happens I will take a few shots.

I like to paint my headlights and logos first and then do the rest of the car. It helps me keep things straight in my head. That may be a part of the problem there but the end results look good for the most part.

The most trouble I had was painting a flotek SCT body. I wanted to darken the areas around the cutouts and such before painting the color. This endded bad as the ghost farts covered everything and I couldn't see them until I had started to lay the color down.

What you are telling me is that had I sprayed prep on the likely hood of this happening would have been reduced?

Since I use a lot of WB paint, do I need to let the prep dry a day before spraying WB paints over it?

You can see some farts here above the headlight...

And a little bit here...

The pictures don't realloy show much, it is a bit more prevelent in person.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

With the pre prep all you have to do is mist on one coat, heat set it for about 15 seconds, mist another coat, heat set for 15 seconds then shoot which ever paint you want. Hold your air brush 6-8" away from the body when misting. It works with both wb and lacquer paints. To answer your last question if you use the pre prep the ghost farts would have been virtually eliminated. I use it when doing shadows and when layering paint colors in the same area.

Also when doing your drop shadows don't use just straight black. They look more natural with an over reduced transparent smoke or window tint. That will also allow you to build up the color and have more control of the shadow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.