Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the new x from traxxas

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Yes they are heavy and can be dangerous. My GT8 car can be dangerous as well. I could hand my GT car over to a 10 year old but I don't. Someone else might and supervise over them. Another might not. People that are negligent pay the consequences!

We live in a free country, not a police state. We have the ability to make a decision whether or not to purchase such an item. It is not an inexpensive item, therefore not easily attainable. Nonetheless, it doesn't mean that some irresponsible person may not buy one. Much the same way an irresponsible person with the means can go buy a Ferrari Enzo and crash and destroy it on the Pacific Coast Highway doing 200 MPH. No one tried to sue Ferrari for the damage. Traxxas is a large enough company to have legal council. They also have posted a disclaimer. The item is locked to 50 MPH, unless you unlock it and if you do, it makes you the responsible party.

By the way, LiPos are also dangerous. Fires have happened, unfortunate few have even had their houses burned down. Have you seen any lawsuits against the LiPo manufacturers? You are warned when you buy LiPos.. you start a fire, its your fault.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Yes they are heavy and can be dangerous. My GT8 car can be dangerous as well. I could hand my GT car over to a 10 year old but I don't. Someone else might and supervise over them. Another might not. People that are negligent pay the consequences!

We live in a free country, not a police state. We have the ability to make a decision whether or not to purchase such an item. It is not an inexpensive item, therefore not easily attainable. Nonetheless, it doesn't mean that some irresponsible person may not buy one. Much the same way an irresponsible person with the means can go buy a Ferrari Enzo and crash and destroy it on the Pacific Coast Highway doing 200 MPH. No one tried to sue Ferrari for the damage. Traxxas is a large enough company to have legal council. They also have posted a disclaimer. The item is locked to 50 MPH, unless you unlock it and if you do, it makes you the responsible party.

By the way, LiPos are also dangerous. Fires have happened, unfortunate few have even had their houses burned down. Have you seen any lawsuits against the LiPo manufacturers? You are warned when you buy LiPos.. you start a fire, its your fault.
Good point I just would hate to see this thing sold to a first time buyer who walks in and says "Gimme the fastest one ya got" Especially if I wasn't there to video it the first time he drove it..
Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Why all the hate and bad feelings for Traxxas and Apple. Both have done some pretty big things in their respective industries. Thank Traxxas for a large part of the resurgence in electric offroad because of the slash. And for a toy car that lots of folks turned their nose up at it sure did bring a lot of folks into the hobby. I am not an Apple fan at all,BUT, I set here typing this message on an iPad. Carry a touch for all my daily stuff, not because I like it the best, because Palm decided to get out of the market.

I doubt anyone will see their name on the box as a direct marketing ploy. I doubt Traxxas has visions of it running around a race track. I doubt I will ever own one. But i bet there's gonna be a bunch of folks that buy them and have a blast.

As far as the speed and people that will misuse them, they should have to face the financial consequences if they blatantly cause harm to others. But leave Traxxas out of it. Yes they built it, but they have also laid out the conditions of use. Don't want to follow them, do so at your own risk.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
so what is the weight on these things??the motor is like 2lbs alone, so th ecar has to weigh in at around 8lbs or more right??I been hit by a 1/8 buggy at 20 ish..took my 200lb ass off my feet...now 8lbs of mass @ 100MPH...that is dangerous as hell in the hands of an unexperienced hobbyist. Yep and your right nobody jogs while listening to their I-pod or things like that so I am SURE they will hear it coming and get right out of the way of a toy car that does 0-100 in under 5 seconds...and weighs at least 8 lbs..... your right, i was over reacting...
10 LBS.....and i cant wait to play with it.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I just have a problem with the marketing ploy. It clearly states in many places 100MPH right out of the box...UM NO, not unless the box contains an I-pod touch, I-pad, or I-phone. Then it says in small fine print that it wont get to 100MPH without one of those apple products. So all those poor bastages who buy one expecting 100MPH 'out of the box" need to buy another product and then figure out how to re-program the ESC to reach these speeds. That to me is false advertising which was a similar case with the VXL stuff that claimed ridiculous speeds but only with aftermarket batteries, motor and esc which were another $200 and not "IN THE BOX!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Addict

Jaz, can't disagree with you on the fine print. They need to at least put an * by that 100 MPH like they do on the radio line. Can't blame them on the requirement tho, seems like a simple step and I am sure it figured into the liability issue.

Did think of something funny when I was looking back over the web page. Tekin users have been crying for well over a year for an iPhone app to set up their controller. Guess who beat them to it, TRAXXAS. Is there some irony in that?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The hobbytown i go to and just hang out there, i see people come in and ask the following two questions, and there reactions are predicted.

How fast does that one go( Rustler or Bandit vxl)?

It goes about 70 with a 3s lipo and a couple of gears.

Ok how much? I tell them and they open there eyes a bit.. But they usually buy it..

Then they will ask about the E-revo. Again the same 2 questions.

Again i answer blah blah blah..

BUT when i say its about 650 they instant wont touch it.......

An usually within that week of them owning it. It is in the shop 80% of the time.

Now unless someone has a good amount of money to spend, which in the economy is no. And knows what they are doing.. This wont sell, i give it a year...... I know damn well that i will be fixing it within a week because they will wreck it.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davin
Excuse me for asking.. But exactly where in Louisiana are you from? If you need to go extinguish the cross burning in front of your trailer before replying I totally understand.
I live in southern california (the land of emo kids with ipods).........sorry for not being an apple army member......their devices are lame as is traxxas' new car
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I think it's pretty awesome. I'd love to try it out.

The entry price seems steep at first and will place it out of reach for some, but thinking about it, how many of us own 1/10 sedans (electric/nitro) that cost more than this when you tally up the total cost of the running gear? And that's just 1/10 scale sedan. There are so many other classes that we run that too costs a pretty penny.

Instead of buying a chassis, ESC, Motor, Servo, RX, transponder, batteries, charger, wheels, tires and body all separately, you buy it all at once and can go 100mph after unlocking the software via an apple device. (chances are we all have or know somebody that has an ipod, itouch or iphone.)

I bet it would be a blast to run this thing!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like a class of those in my area.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't think that this was a good move. What is with the 1/7th scale? Why not a 1/8th scale or something 1/10 onroad competitor? I understand that they do research before releasing a product, but really?

Last edited by jstrime; 12-01-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by proraptor
I live in southern california (the land of emo kids with ipods).........sorry for not being an apple army member......their devices are lame as is traxxas' new car
I'll have to disagree with you there. My I-phone is the most amazing electronic devise I own. It's like having a computer and a phone in my pocket. Hell I can even print from it wirelessly and with this new I cloud thingy it is all just incredibly amazing!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I'll have to disagree with you there. My I-phone is the most amazing electronic devise I own. It's like having a computer and a phone in my pocket. Hell I can even print from it wirelessly and with this new I cloud thingy it is all just incredibly amazing!
Then you need to get out and look at technology more often. Yeah, a lot of it is cool, but Apple isn't the cutting edge of mobile technology. Hasn't been for a while.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It's listed on Tower at $1,250 before coupons/promotions.

That will price out virtually 98% of the "newbie" crowd. They will still look at it and drool, but unless Daddy is a Doctor they will turn around and buy the Rustler VXL and "settle" for 70 mph.

As for the rest of the "negatives" everyone seems to be finding with this...

Look very, very closely at all the specs and all the pictures. The profiles on the radio show "bashing" "rock crawling" and other profiles that an on-road supercar clearly isn't going to be capable of handling. The chassis is essentially a Slash LCG. Isn't that something people have been wanting? The suspension is more or less a Slash--with upgraded metal CVDs and a refined 17mm hex carrier.

They came out with this car first for a reason--it makes a huge statement about where they are going with the other models in the very near future. Auto manufacturers don't create concept cars that look like a Toyota Corolla to highlight their newest design innovations, do they? No, they put it in an out of this world concept car that 99% of us will never own--but within 5 years we usually wind up with a car that has some of that technology in it.

Rumor has it there are 7 new models coming out. If this is the first, then the other 6 are going to have some very cool features.

And get over the iOS hate. What is their choice? A) Proprietary onboard display or B) Android.

A) would have legions of critics crying about how expensive the Tx is now, and they'll "never use that display so they shouldn't have to pay for it"

B) As much as I like Android as a smartphone, the market sucks for app support. There is so much market fragmentation due to manufacturers tweaking the source code. There is no way Traxxas could afford to support it. There would be an entire thread filled with "my Traxxas IQ doesn't work with my [insert random Android smartphone here]."

So many people are crying that they didn't release a 1/5 SCT/Buggy/Truggy. Who says they aren't going to? It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the components of the X0-1 wind up in a pretty cool off-road model.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The term "Experts Only" and Traxxas simply don't go together. It's cool, but totally impractical and an accident waiting to happen. I also seriously doubt these will outsell Baja 5s. A Baja can be driven anywhere, offroad and onroad. And the only people who are sold on mph ratings only are the same folks I wouldn't want to be anywhere near while driving one of these things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.