Wiki Posts
Search

A lover of all things FG

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default A lover of all things FG

Been into large scale for a while. Currently have two FG's one all elcon FG Baja 2WD and one FG baja 4WD.

Here's some pics of the 2WD:

Old 05-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

and here are some photo's of my 4WD, now running a G290 with jetpro. not many upgrades unlike the 2WD, alloy engine mounts, front disc brakes, 7955tg throttle servo and 5755 steering servo.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Thumbs up FG

Very nice rides you have there. That is the first FG I've seen with that much alloy on it. The Chrome and red is a good choice. xlx
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

thanks mate, yep its all elcon

the 2wd is in bits at the moment, having the fg viscous diff rebuilt.

4wd has just had a complete engine rebuild, only thing re-used was the crank and crankcase, everything else has been replaced.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

took the 4wd out yesterday for a bash at carrum, big meetup with plenty of big dollar toys.

here's a vid, couple of 5b's with TS donks looking very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkPe...layer_embedded
Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

well started the clean up last night. DAMN, after over 80 tanks through the 4WD ive never seen it this dirty!

dorwned it in CT18 and hit it with the hose, looking much better now!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Tech Addict

woohoo, got my diff today, looking brand new.

ive removed the elcon diff brake disc off it as it never worked anyway. looks like im going to have to run without brakes until i can afford a pair of front discs for the beast.

also in the process of organising a kill switch for the best, going to do the 4wd with a kill switch at a later date.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

spent some time working on the best last night. worked for about 3 hours and felt that I got absolutley no where

had some play in the layshaft for a while and thought I would address this before I fit the new diff and get everything back on the chassis.

trying to get the old gear off the layshaft was a mission but got there in the end. tried to get it back on but couldnt, had to remove half the mounting off the engine and then a bearing got stuf on layshaft, so i cracked the sh*ts and went to bed.

going to have another crack tonight, i hate this bloody layshaft!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

nice rides man, I've always wanted to sell one of my bajas for a FG
Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sperera
woohoo, got my diff today, looking brand new.

ive removed the elcon diff brake disc off it as it never worked anyway. looks like im going to have to run without brakes until i can afford a pair of front discs for the beast.
I knew this video would become handy someday, have a look here how to make a brake I haven't tried this as i have discbrakes all around, but it looks promising.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

edgar i highly recomend the FG's, ive had a 5B ss and believe me the FG's are so much easier to work on, so much stronger and basher friendly, once you get decent brakes and alloy engine mounts its almost trouble free running.

Ive had a total of 3 FG and will never go to another brand again, not in largescale anyway!

Lars thanks for sharing the vid, does anyone know what he hooked up to the other end of that alum rod? Would have been nice if he finished the whole mod so we know what the linkage looked like. My concern with that set up would be that it places allot of addred pressure on the clutch bell bearings, this could cause uneven wear on clutch shoes but more importantly it cause cause premature wear on crank bearings which could result in an air leak and then we all know where that can lead!

spent another 3 hours on the beast last night, decided to take the clutch bell off while I had the engine out and much to my surprise one of the clutch shoes was down to nothing! I havent even done 8 tanks in it yet! Got those shoes off craig and I think they are CY ones, had a brand new pair of zen shoes that I put in.

filled the diff with air tool oil, installed it back onto the elcon engine carrier and got the engin and diff back onto the chassis. just need to finish off the rear suspension, fuel lines and throttle linkages and its all done! also installed the futaba receiver into the beast so ill finally be able to try out the 3PKS!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sperera

Lars thanks for sharing the vid, does anyone know what he hooked up to the other end of that alum rod? Would have been nice if he finished the whole mod so we know what the linkage looked like. My concern with that set up would be that it places allot of addred pressure on the clutch bell bearings, this could cause uneven wear on clutch shoes but more importantly it cause cause premature wear on crank bearings which could result in an air leak and then we all know where that can lead!
Well, i can not agree with your thoughts and worries about the crank bearings You don't brake at the same time as you are running wide open throtle do you? Although i can to a certain degree agree with you about the clutchbell bearings. The video i originally was about to post was removed by the user, that video had a very good walkthrough of how the brake is made.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

well I could be wrong about the crank bearings, however your argument of engine not WOT while breaking is not valid, engine does not need to be WOT to damage crank bearings, while on breaks engine is still idling, thats enough to damage bearings.

if the person that posted the vid is honest and ran a season with this set up and didnt have to replace an engine due to worn crank bearings then I would certainly be wrong and happy to admit it.

spent more time on the best last night, all fully re-assembled with the rebuilt diff and futaba rx and tx, cant wait to try it out!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Addict

took the beast (2WD) out for a run on sat, man the new diff and futaba rx and tx transform this into an animal! so different. diff is no longer loading up on one wheel and the futaba feels worlds better than the spekky, heaps more range too!

was having an awesome run until one of the rear foams let go which ended my day
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

ok so the crowd wanted more pics, so i got more pics.

decided to document how easy it is to do a clutch/carrier change on an all elcon FG Baja.

First remove both LH rims.

Next remove side plate (4 screws)

Next remove 3 bolts shown below that hold clutch bell and pinion gear in place. there is no need to remove pinion or spur gear to do this. I jammed a screw driver in there to hold the gear carrier in place, 3 bolts removed.

Next photo shows gear carrier and clutch bell removed, once the 3 bolts above are removed this carrier, bell and gear will come out in one peice. EASY! Next is to remove the clutch shoes, just remove the two bolts shown below.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.