Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I don't know if it lighter I am not finish with my car yet.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Yodog- This looks like a worthy candidate for a 1/8th onroad electric.

No doubtedly there's a lot of E4 influence on this design.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Don't think we can make it anywhere close to lighter than the nitro, we will head to the scales tomorrow night. but the rendering of the model shows (2) 5000mh 5S packs, which for sure is huge but we wanted to explore as much battery real estate as possible. The 2 2650 5S packs for sure are pretty light and may get close but run time was making us want to explore capacity.

The (2) 4000mh 5S packs we have to try are 537g each. I don't think the laws of physics will ever be on our side, an internal combustion motor will definitely have the weight advantage over lipo but that's not our goal, the noise was our goal, and no flame outs, and no pit guy's required...

Plus it's a whole bunch of fun playing with the cool tools available for design
Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Thumbs up

This is what I saw today when I walked into Mike's Hobby Shop...
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-kt8s.jpg
Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Rookie

a useful study. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude

Yeah, this is what I am running these days. (There is a bit of E4 in there...) As the batteries get better and smaller, this design should be the most feasible. it still requires a new chassis but the new parts list is a little shorter than my M3 design which is more flexible as far as batteries go.
With the pack that is in there now, I get 8 to 10 minutes of run time running the Castle MMM. I would hope that maybe Tekin will create some special firmware for the RX8 system that will do some boost tricks like the RS Pro does. Maybe then we can make the power system more efficient. Who's got Randy Pikes ear?

From what I've learned, there is a difficult balance between battery weight and run time. Sure more capacity get's you more run time but at the cost of "real performance". You have to lug all that extra weight around which requires more current and you generate a lot more heat, not only to accelerate the car but also to decelerate. The tires, belts and bearings take more abuse due to the heavier load and it costs more money$$. The real trick is going to be to make the drive system more efficient so it won't require so much power to get the same results. This is the direction I really would like to go. I believe that if the car weighs more than the nitro counterpart, it won't truly be a successful design. Maybe we should shoot for 6 minutes instead of 10 and treat this class like any other electric class.
Personally I'm leaning toward a 2wd pan car design which should out perform nearly any car on the track. Sure it's only 2wd but consider the minimal weight and lack of drivetrain drag combined with massive tires. Imagine keeping all of your old 1/8 foamies from your nitro car to live again on the pan car which likely will be turned to a smaller diameter anyway. That's right, no need to buy new tires for the electric toy!

Man, I gotta stop drinking Monster...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
This is what I saw today when I walked into Mike's Hobby Shop...
Attachment 750951
I don't think this relates to what this thread is about.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

for this converted kit, how would it handle if configured 2WD, much like how a 12th scale EP design.
It should be slightly lighter and less drag on drivetrain. but handling-wise???
i dunno what the handling would be considering rear drive for 8th scale is locked.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RevMaxx
for this converted kit, how would it handle if configured 2WD, much like how a 12th scale EP design.
It should be slightly lighter and less drag on drivetrain. but handling-wise???
i dunno what the handling would be considering rear drive for 8th scale is locked.
It will work as a 2wd if I install a diff.
I've got an old serpent pro diff which is a really sweet design but doesn't fit directly in either of my cars.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by YoDog
I would hope that maybe Tekin will create some special firmware for the RX8 system that will do some boost tricks like the RS Pro does. Maybe then we can make the power system more efficient. Who's got Randy Pikes ear?
Rick, I brought this idea to Randy last year. As of late September, or sometime late summer, the RX8 programming now includes timing boost which allows for a user determined starting RPM and RPM at which maximum timing advance is achieved. You can also set how much timing advance you want. This is part of the Vegas software. The software is on Tekin's download page.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MAD916
Don't think we can make it anywhere close to lighter than the nitro
With battery, my car comes in at 3100 grams. It's about a full pound heavier than the nitro. However, without a doubt, this extra weight doesn't affect the acceleration of the car which is considerably QUICKER than nitros. I suppose the main difference comes into play with a "push" into corners.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by East Bay Pete
Rick, I brought this idea to Randy last year. As of late September, or sometime late summer, the RX8 programming now includes timing boost which allows for a user determined starting RPM and RPM at which maximum timing advance is achieved. You can also set how much timing advance you want. This is part of the Vegas software. The software is on Tekin's download page.
Thanks Pete, i was not aware that it worked with the RX8 as well. I run Tekin in my 1/10 scale cars so I'm familiar with the vegas version.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks Pete, i was not aware that it worked with the RX8 as well. I run Tekin in my 1/10 scale cars so I'm familiar with the vegas version.
I look forward to hearing about your results.

Also, most club events have only 5 min qualifiiers with 15min or 20min mains. If the battery can last 10min perhaps maybe you can consider designing the battery compartment such that it can open up top like the E4JS or drop out of the bottom like the E4FS/RS. A quick connection for the battery that would disconnect upon battery removal and reconnect upon battery installation would need to be fashioned. I think an RX battery would be best such that the radio would not unbind during battery changes.

Although the battery change may take longer than a nitro fill-up, the added speed of the electric could make-up for the time lost. It would be nice to see how an electric will run against a nitro in a 20min main event or even in a 30min main event.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Also, most club events have only 5 min qualifiiers with 15min or 20min mains. If the battery can last 10min perhaps maybe you can consider designing the battery compartment such that it can open up top like the E4JS or drop out of the bottom like the E4FS/RS. A quick connection for the battery that would disconnect upon battery removal and reconnect upon battery installation would need to be fashioned. I think an RX battery would be best such that the radio would not unbind during battery changes.

Although the battery change may take longer than a nitro fill-up, the added speed of the electric could make-up for the time lost. It would be nice to see how an electric will run against a nitro in a 20min main event or even in a 30min main event.
One thing to consider is whether or not it's really necessary to run a 20 or 30 minute main. Sure it would be a contender for the nitro class but why run with the nitro cars? If enough electrics come out to make a class of their own, why not shoot for 6 minutes instead, just like any other electric class.

If I manage to get the pan car built, I expect to get over 10 minutes of run time with a 3 cell pack. We could use 550 sized motors since they are becoming more popular and will run on a regular speedo.

If I build the pan car will it sell?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

....If I manage to get the pan car built, I expect to get over 10 minutes of run time with a 3 cell pack. We could use 550 sized motors since they are becoming more popular and will run on a regular speedo.

If I build the pan car will it sell?
Are you talking about a straight axle car with floating rear pod? Something like an oversized 1/10th World GT car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.