Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Help with Trackstar Supar .21 Engine >

Help with Trackstar Supar .21 Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Trackstar Supar .21 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am in Torrance.

Thanks to Paul and Dave at GLARCRC today, I was able to get it started and got a little bit of run time. Unfortunately, rain stopped me from fully breaking in the engine.
Time to order up some spare glow plugs now... ( and a proper igniter )
Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

By the way, I was using a hot turbo plug and the engine started right up!
Today's weather definitely called for a hot plug.
Engine temp never get over 220F after running at track
I did two tank at idle first, temp was around 150F
Did half throttle around the track a few times, let it cool in-between runs.
Did 3/4 throttle around the track a few times then came the rain.....
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Good you went to hotter plug since it rained. heat ranges changes timing of engine, and depending on % of nitro. What fuel are you using? Good you get away with AA & D igniters. GLARCRC guys use the Sub-C Igniters, Mine Sub-C igniter uses a 1100mah battery, I use a 3800mah tenergy battery, it last longer & a hotter glow(bright yellow) of Glow Plug.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Usually you dont change the temp range of the plug for the temperature, unless its really hot. Just use the plug that runs good for your engine and stick with it, regardless of the weather. I suspect that the problem you were having had nothing to do with the type of plug, probably had to do with the tune of the engine.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Usually you dont change the temp range of the plug for the temperature, unless its really hot. Just use the plug that runs good for your engine and stick with it, regardless of the weather. I suspect that the problem you were having had nothing to do with the type of plug, probably had to do with the tune of the engine.
Not realy true.

The ignition timing is depending many factors like head clearance, nitro content, plug number and outside temperature.

If one of the factors is changing and it goes off the ideal ignition timing you should compensate with another. Most of the times the nitro content is compensated with the headshims and the outside temperature is compensated with the plugnumber.
And yes changing one of these factors without a reason will cause a different operating tamperature due a shifted ignition timing.

If the temperature of the engine is too low and the engine does not run properly then the ignition timing is too late.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It was mid 60sF yesterday in LA...
Old 04-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

I know about weather in LA, Oxnard and Camarillo. Know about running in Thailand, the 8 last years, running in Vegas. Know about engine react in ambient temps. Something you learn with the hobby.

Yes probably the turn. A lot of newer nitro guys, they expect the engine to run like it suppose to. Just have patience. Best place since in Torrance is PC Hobbies cuz its close, another is Hobby People on South St, Lakewood. Kamikaze Toy and Hobbys in Cerritos would of been a good place. Samuel and I competed at the Ranch Pit, Pomona in the 80's. I don't know if he's there or not, online says he's not there anymore.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Alright, just a little update on the TrackStar Supar engine if anyone cares for it.

After a few more runs and adjustment (not race tune yet) the engine is running very strong and got plenty of punch more so than my RTR force .28. As you can see I don't have much to compares to...
I end up buying a new sub-c glow plug igniter from Tower and it helps tremendously!!! If you are new to the hobby like me, this should be the first thing you buy. Your chance of getting the engine started will be much higher.
The engine sounds a little rough when cold but after warm up, it has that high rpm, high pitch sound I heard from others high-end engine. More like a F1 engine compares to a NASCAR engine.
Now time will tell how it will perform under stress and the longevity of it.