Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic >

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
Hi Brent,

we have raised the sleeve on a Torque by 0.1 and 0.2 mm in order to gain top end.
We did, but it hurt the fuel consumption.
I rather gear the Piccos a bit longer than Novas to get the same top speed.
What also helped to gain some revs w/o hurting fuel consumption is using the Nova medium conical header with the Picco 2033 pipe.
I run this pipe/header combo too. Really good power and like you said still good fuel mileage.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yeah he's no slouch with the drag car.
WOW! Thanks wingracer, I didn't know you knew about my drag racing stuff.

To all, here's a little background on what I do and why I have asked what your thoughts are on the Picco TQ.

I make all my own parts and chassis stuff. This past June 2011, my chassis's set both ends of the ET and MPH records. Dominique Thorpe ran 1.58 to reset the old record of 1.60 and I ran 85.2 MPH to take the old 82.1 MPH record. Look here for our accomplishments. It says that I have the record speed at 84.1 but that is a typo. The record is 85.2 MPH.

http://www.rockinghamdragway.com/results/2011/rcdrags/
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any new news on the Picco TQ.

Last edited by Brent Davis; 01-04-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Nice Car
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spanky Thorpe
Nice
Shut up and go to bed.....LOL!

The ET record holder has spoken guys
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MRX4XXXX
.. That's what we are waiting for(the information), to know what to buy for next summer.

-X-
Hey cool! You wanna share how it's done?

I am sure the NR racers over here would really appreciate it.

Robert Pietsch's mechanic is always re-fuelling at 3:30 minutes when he runs 8th scale. :-)
Pietch and Novarossi have a year to te get a good setup reaching 5 minutes:
http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2...dar_2012V4.pdf
(not even a refuling is alowed with a pitstop for tuning or repairs)

But for the finales nothing is sayed so 3:30 engines can still be used in the finals......
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Man that is going to be tough for fast guys on the big tracks, especially if you have to run 25% control fuel.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Nova Flash 21 PTS will run 5+ minutes with the right configuration. We just did it at the ROAR Nats. Qualified 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6th and finished 1, 3 & 4th.

Euro drivers with Nova power will still be at the front next year.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Initiate

If it comes down to de-tuning your engine either with clutch, nitro or pipe/header to make time, I'll save the extra $300 and not buy a novarossi!!!! I have probably had 20+ .21 nova based engines over the years and in my opinion they are fast, but most are thirsty. The only exception was my experience running the Max Power tq's. Picco in my opinion has more torque, way better fuel mileage, and offers way more bang for your buck without sacrificing performance! Hopefully picco does not change a good thing for 2012. Many engine companies have went fishing just to end up ruining a good thing.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by desotoracing
Nova Flash 21 PTS will run 5+ minutes with the right configuration. We just did it at the ROAR Nats. Qualified 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6th and finished 1, 3 & 4th.

Euro drivers with Nova power will still be at the front next year.
The German nationals were won by Steven Cuypers with an insanly fast Picco Torque this year.......
Old 11-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

The German nationals were won by Steven Cuypers with an insanly fast Picco Torque this year.......
Good to know that the Picco can run with the Novarossi engines.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by J. Conley
If it comes down to de-tuning your engine either with clutch, nitro or pipe/header to make time, I'll save the extra $300 and not buy a novarossi!!!! I have probably had 20+ .21 nova based engines over the years and in my opinion they are fast, but most are thirsty. The only exception was my experience running the Max Power tq's. Picco in my opinion has more torque, way better fuel mileage, and offers way more bang for your buck without sacrificing performance! Hopefully picco does not change a good thing for 2012. Many engine companies have went fishing just to end up ruining a good thing.
Everybody is entitled their own opinions, but i think you are not correct in the price difference. Nowadays, you can buy a Novarossi 9 port engine steel bearings for almost the same price as the stock Torque. An the top of the line Nova single ceramic bearing for little over $100 than a Edo mod. So yes is more expensive but not $300.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Tech Lord

My personal fastest laptime on my home track is set with a 5 port engine. What doess the number of ports say?

One olde quote from Ron Paris:

COMMON ENGINE QUESTION - HOW MANY PORTS DOES AN ENGINE NEED?

More is not indicative of being better. If more ports were the only solution to more power, all engines would have maximum number of ports. Simply put, there is only so much room for ports in any given displacement engine. Some engines with twice the ports can have less total port area. This is not good or bad - it is just different. Every thing is a combination of many variables. Some of the most powerful engines I have built were three ports! We top qualified the world championships in Holland with a three port engine wile many of the competitors were using 5, 6, 7 and even 8 port engines and we had the fastest top speeds displayed on the board. It is true in most cases that within any brand of engine their power ratings go up with the amount of ports, but this is due to more than just the quantity of ports. Generally there are many other components in the engine that have more refined or modified parts than those with less ports, complementing the combination. You can only compare the quantity of ports between engines of the same manufacture. They all have their own combinations. In other words, brand A’s 17 port may or may not run equal to brand B’s 29 port.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miker2209
Everybody is entitled their own opinions, but i think you are not correct in the price difference. Nowadays, you can buy a Novarossi 9 port engine steel bearings for almost the same price as the stock Torque. An the top of the line Nova single ceramic bearing for little over $100 than a Edo mod. So yes is more expensive but not $300.
I think the point people are trying to make is that the stock Picco Torque can hold it's own against top of the line Novarossi. No need to detune the Picco to make time. So why spend $639 when you can get the same power spending $355?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
I think the point people are trying to make is that the stock Picco Torque can hold it's own against top of the line Novarossi. No need to detune the Picco to make time. So why spend $639 when you can get the same power spending $355?
Or you could spend $389 for a 35plus21 and get Novarossi quality, run the engine de-tuned in qualifying while still turning same lap times as any other engine and open it up for the main and be really fast!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.