R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Like Tree33Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #1846
Tech Regular
 
MRX4-R03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SA,TX
Posts: 318
Default

does anybody have pics of a muran modifyed plus .12 if so i wanna see them
MRX4-R03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #1847
Tech Elite
 
doki_doki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cebu City, Philippines and Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 3,840
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody
The Plus 12-3 SCT is different to the Plus 12-3CT. Both have ceramic bearings, but the SCT has a different diameter crank and bearing. It is 11.9mm rather than 11.5mm diameter. I've been running one for the last few weeks and it is gun.

Also, after extensive testing with pipes, we found the Novarossi 2630 to be the best! The pipes tested were, Mugen 2501, Sirio 2611, Novarossi 2601, 2602, RB 2604, Skyline VR12, VR12 Plus.
Thanks for the information How long do the ceramic bearings last? Do they have the same lifespan or even outlast the ordinary bearings? Also, what benefit does one get with a bigger crankshaft diameter as compared to a smaller one?
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #1848
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
Thanks for the information How long do the ceramic bearings last? Do they have the same lifespan or even outlast the ordinary bearings? Also, what benefit does one get with a bigger crankshaft diameter as compared to a smaller one?
Ceramic bearings lasts almost forever if you use good fuel and also good maintenance.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #1849
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
Thanks for the information How long do the ceramic bearings last? Do they have the same lifespan or even outlast the ordinary bearings? Also, what benefit does one get with a bigger crankshaft diameter as compared to a smaller one?
There is a small increase in performance with the bigger diameter crank. The lifespan, i cant comment on because i've only had a few runs with the SCT, but it seems to be holding up really well so far. To extract maximum life from ceramic bearings, run good quality fuel like Runnertime, and after each days racing, take the engine apart, make sure there is no fuel left in there, clean with alcohol, and oil liberally while re-assembling. A good quality after run oil like Mugen or Powersave is better than Automatic transmission fluid. This is a good way to prevent rust, and the corrosive nature of nitro doing it's work on your bearings and internals between race days.
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #1850
jag
Tech Master
 
jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 1,168
Default 2630 vs 2601

Can somebody give me a comparison between the 2630 and the 2601? I need a new pipe and would like to know the differences between the two. I will be using the pipe on a Rex RER 3 port.

Thanks.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 AM   #1851
Tech Elite
 
doki_doki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cebu City, Philippines and Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 3,840
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody
There is a small increase in performance with the bigger diameter crank. The lifespan, i cant comment on because i've only had a few runs with the SCT, but it seems to be holding up really well so far. To extract maximum life from ceramic bearings, run good quality fuel like Runnertime, and after each days racing, take the engine apart, make sure there is no fuel left in there, clean with alcohol, and oil liberally while re-assembling. A good quality after run oil like Mugen or Powersave is better than Automatic transmission fluid. This is a good way to prevent rust, and the corrosive nature of nitro doing it's work on your bearings and internals between race days.
I see. I take care of my engines properly and take it apart every now and then and see to it everything is working well. As for the fuel, I'm using Tornado 25% and Tornado after run oil. Is this good for this kind of engine? Also, how much percentage of nitro are you running? Thanks again
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #1852
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
I see. I take care of my engines properly and take it apart every now and then and see to it everything is working well. As for the fuel, I'm using Tornado 25% and Tornado after run oil. Is this good for this kind of engine? Also, how much percentage of nitro are you running? Thanks again
In Australia, we only use 16% nitro, as per IFMAR. I run standard head shimming and a CT6 plug usually, of course depending on the conditions.

Tornado Fuel and products are not readily available here, so i've had no experience with them. If your doing everything else right, for example tuning, plug selection, head clearance, etc, i guess you can guage how good your fuel is, with the way your engine runs, longevity, and how the internals look.

Nick
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #1853
Tech Elite
 
doki_doki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cebu City, Philippines and Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 3,840
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody
In Australia, we only use 16% nitro, as per IFMAR. I run standard head shimming and a CT6 plug usually, of course depending on the conditions.

Tornado Fuel and products are not readily available here, so i've had no experience with them. If your doing everything else right, for example tuning, plug selection, head clearance, etc, i guess you can guage how good your fuel is, with the way your engine runs, longevity, and how the internals look.

Nick
Thanks The dealer of the Novarossi engine here recommends that the CT7 plug be used after running in the engine. I was also told that the Plus 12-3SCT came with a CT5 plug. Should I stick to this plug rating? Thanks
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:54 AM   #1854
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki_doki
Thanks The dealer of the Novarossi engine here recommends that the CT7 plug be used after running in the engine. I was also told that the Plus 12-3SCT came with a CT5 plug. Should I stick to this plug rating? Thanks
It comes with a CT5 because you need a hot plug for break-in. My preference is CT6 because it has a bit more bottom end, but the 7 works good too. As AFM explained, plug selection depends on a lot of factors.
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 AM   #1855
Tech Elite
 
doki_doki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cebu City, Philippines and Ocala, Florida, USA
Posts: 3,840
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody
It comes with a CT5 because you need a hot plug for break-in. My preference is CT6 because it has a bit more bottom end, but the 7 works good too. As AFM explained, plug selection depends on a lot of factors.
Ok then Will just stick with the CT7 plug since this is what the dealer of the engine recommends after breaking in the engine. I'm also getting the 2630 pipe with 6 fins conical manifold. Not very familiar yet which to get. Should I go for the 5 fins or the 7 fins? Or would it be better to get all the different types of manifold?
doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #1856
Tech Adept
 
rccobra705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chile
Posts: 190
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hot Problem with Nova Mega SX12 SS 3-P

Hi Everybody

I donít if it is the right place, but anyway, then I have a NovaMega SX-12 SS 3-P.
The engine starts and idles w/o any problem in cold condition. I can use the engine total powerband during this period. Get the track and running with the car and also w/o problem.

If the engine blowout of any reason, then I get my problems:
I canít restart the engine in hot condition. I need the engine cool down completely and then it restart w/o any problem. Try all different setting with high, low and middle needles without any luck. Went back to factory set and go from there once again, starting in cold and donít start in hot.

Engine setting:
Turbo plug Mega # 6 cold.
Head shim 0.3 mm.
Ambient is hot (+28 - 30 deg. C) and dry.

Please, engine gurus I need some help.

Regards and Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rccobra705; 12-11-2006 at 03:09 AM.
rccobra705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #1857
Tech Master
 
sandrixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SnakeVille
Posts: 1,434
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Hi bozzez, can u pls help me to know what is the "factory' headshim inserts for a Nova plus 21-5T and a Nova 421bsx?.., i got my engines 2ndhand and i want to go back to the correct/proper headshim gaskets. and also is it alright regarding performance and lifetime of the engines if i use O'donnel turboplugs in my Nova's?....thanx thanx very much in advance!!!
__________________
Team DogBone-Cobra/Serpent
Team F.R.E.A.K.S/SOLIDSNAKE_Saudi Arabia

Stay Serpent...
sandrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 AM   #1858
Tech Regular
 
FF25510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 489
Default

Attached Thumbnails
Novarossi engines thread-ssl10163.jpg   Novarossi engines thread-ssl10165.jpg  
FF25510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #1859
Tech Elite
 
Bundy_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 2,677
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default NS12 S3

Does anyone remember if the Nova NS12 S3 is shimmed out of the box for 16% nitro? Also is there any recommendations for running it in, i hope it isn't super tight like other motors on the market.

BB
__________________
MissMooRC Racing
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/missmoorc
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:29 AM   #1860
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Does anyone remember if the Nova NS12 S3 is shimmed out of the box for 16% nitro? Also is there any recommendations for running it in, i hope it isn't super tight like other motors on the market.

BB
No. Its shimmed for 30% around. You need to reduce the head shims to give you 0.3mm head clearance.

For running in preheat the engine to 160 deg f and make sure you keep the temp up for the first 2 tanks on idle.

I wouldnt reccommend the WOT method (if you dont know what it is dont bother) This stresses the engine too much
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sirio engines thread EVOLUTION Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 2824 04-29-2014 10:58 AM
Axial Engines thread Axial Racing Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 164 10-06-2008 05:48 PM
RB engines thread CraigM Nitro Off-Road 7 01-05-2008 10:57 AM
JP Engines Thread DOMOisCOOL Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 2 02-16-2004 05:00 AM
OS engines thread EVOLUTION Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 44 02-11-2004 06:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:22 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net