Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

does anybody have pics of a muran modifyed plus .12 if so i wanna see them
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rody
The Plus 12-3 SCT is different to the Plus 12-3CT. Both have ceramic bearings, but the SCT has a different diameter crank and bearing. It is 11.9mm rather than 11.5mm diameter. I've been running one for the last few weeks and it is gun.

Also, after extensive testing with pipes, we found the Novarossi 2630 to be the best! The pipes tested were, Mugen 2501, Sirio 2611, Novarossi 2601, 2602, RB 2604, Skyline VR12, VR12 Plus.
Thanks for the information How long do the ceramic bearings last? Do they have the same lifespan or even outlast the ordinary bearings? Also, what benefit does one get with a bigger crankshaft diameter as compared to a smaller one?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by doki_doki
Thanks for the information How long do the ceramic bearings last? Do they have the same lifespan or even outlast the ordinary bearings? Also, what benefit does one get with a bigger crankshaft diameter as compared to a smaller one?
Ceramic bearings lasts almost forever if you use good fuel and also good maintenance.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is a small increase in performance with the bigger diameter crank. The lifespan, i cant comment on because i've only had a few runs with the SCT, but it seems to be holding up really well so far. To extract maximum life from ceramic bearings, run good quality fuel like Runnertime, and after each days racing, take the engine apart, make sure there is no fuel left in there, clean with alcohol, and oil liberally while re-assembling. A good quality after run oil like Mugen or Powersave is better than Automatic transmission fluid. This is a good way to prevent rust, and the corrosive nature of nitro doing it's work on your bearings and internals between race days.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:51 AM
jag
Tech Master

Default 2630 vs 2601

Can somebody give me a comparison between the 2630 and the 2601? I need a new pipe and would like to know the differences between the two. I will be using the pipe on a Rex RER 3 port.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

There is a small increase in performance with the bigger diameter crank. The lifespan, i cant comment on because i've only had a few runs with the SCT, but it seems to be holding up really well so far. To extract maximum life from ceramic bearings, run good quality fuel like Runnertime, and after each days racing, take the engine apart, make sure there is no fuel left in there, clean with alcohol, and oil liberally while re-assembling. A good quality after run oil like Mugen or Powersave is better than Automatic transmission fluid. This is a good way to prevent rust, and the corrosive nature of nitro doing it's work on your bearings and internals between race days.
I see. I take care of my engines properly and take it apart every now and then and see to it everything is working well. As for the fuel, I'm using Tornado 25% and Tornado after run oil. Is this good for this kind of engine? Also, how much percentage of nitro are you running? Thanks again
Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

I see. I take care of my engines properly and take it apart every now and then and see to it everything is working well. As for the fuel, I'm using Tornado 25% and Tornado after run oil. Is this good for this kind of engine? Also, how much percentage of nitro are you running? Thanks again
In Australia, we only use 16% nitro, as per IFMAR. I run standard head shimming and a CT6 plug usually, of course depending on the conditions.

Tornado Fuel and products are not readily available here, so i've had no experience with them. If your doing everything else right, for example tuning, plug selection, head clearance, etc, i guess you can guage how good your fuel is, with the way your engine runs, longevity, and how the internals look.

Nick
Old 12-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

In Australia, we only use 16% nitro, as per IFMAR. I run standard head shimming and a CT6 plug usually, of course depending on the conditions.

Tornado Fuel and products are not readily available here, so i've had no experience with them. If your doing everything else right, for example tuning, plug selection, head clearance, etc, i guess you can guage how good your fuel is, with the way your engine runs, longevity, and how the internals look.

Nick
Thanks The dealer of the Novarossi engine here recommends that the CT7 plug be used after running in the engine. I was also told that the Plus 12-3SCT came with a CT5 plug. Should I stick to this plug rating? Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks The dealer of the Novarossi engine here recommends that the CT7 plug be used after running in the engine. I was also told that the Plus 12-3SCT came with a CT5 plug. Should I stick to this plug rating? Thanks
It comes with a CT5 because you need a hot plug for break-in. My preference is CT6 because it has a bit more bottom end, but the 7 works good too. As AFM explained, plug selection depends on a lot of factors.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

It comes with a CT5 because you need a hot plug for break-in. My preference is CT6 because it has a bit more bottom end, but the 7 works good too. As AFM explained, plug selection depends on a lot of factors.
Ok then Will just stick with the CT7 plug since this is what the dealer of the engine recommends after breaking in the engine. I'm also getting the 2630 pipe with 6 fins conical manifold. Not very familiar yet which to get. Should I go for the 5 fins or the 7 fins? Or would it be better to get all the different types of manifold?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hot Problem with Nova Mega SX12 SS 3-P

Hi Everybody

I don’t if it is the right place, but anyway, then I have a NovaMega SX-12 SS 3-P.
The engine starts and idles w/o any problem in cold condition. I can use the engine total powerband during this period. Get the track and running with the car and also w/o problem.

If the engine blowout of any reason, then I get my problems:
I can’t restart the engine in hot condition. I need the engine cool down completely and then it restart w/o any problem. Try all different setting with high, low and middle needles without any luck. Went back to factory set and go from there once again, starting in cold and don’t start in hot.

Engine setting:
Turbo plug Mega # 6 cold.
Head shim 0.3 mm.
Ambient is hot (+28 - 30 deg. C) and dry.

Please, engine gurus I need some help.

Regards and Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rccobra705; 12-11-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi bozzez, can u pls help me to know what is the "factory' headshim inserts for a Nova plus 21-5T and a Nova 421bsx?.., i got my engines 2ndhand and i want to go back to the correct/proper headshim gaskets. and also is it alright regarding performance and lifetime of the engines if i use O'donnel turboplugs in my Nova's?....thanx thanx very much in advance!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Attached Thumbnails Novarossi engines thread-ssl10163.jpg   Novarossi engines thread-ssl10165.jpg  
Old 12-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default NS12 S3

Does anyone remember if the Nova NS12 S3 is shimmed out of the box for 16% nitro? Also is there any recommendations for running it in, i hope it isn't super tight like other motors on the market.

BB
Old 12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Does anyone remember if the Nova NS12 S3 is shimmed out of the box for 16% nitro? Also is there any recommendations for running it in, i hope it isn't super tight like other motors on the market.

BB
No. Its shimmed for 30% around. You need to reduce the head shims to give you 0.3mm head clearance.

For running in preheat the engine to 160 deg f and make sure you keep the temp up for the first 2 tanks on idle.

I wouldnt reccommend the WOT method (if you dont know what it is dont bother) This stresses the engine too much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.