R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Sirio .09 help needed (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/228900-sirio-09-help-needed.html)

Zootcapri 06-25-2008 08:42 PM

Sirio .09 help needed

I have a Kyosho Spada with the Sirio .09 engine. Recently the engine consistantly dies after about 5 minutes. Before this started I could run 15 minutes on a tank. The engine doesn't get 'out of range' hot. Generally in the 180-190F range. When it shuts down .. it just stops. When I go to restart the engine rev and dies. When it does this it will not just idle either. It sounded like an airleak so I replaced the tank, pressure and fuel lines. The carb is cast into the crank. The car runs real strong for that 5 minutes then just dies. There is still good pinch.

I'm thinking bearings.... Am I on the right track?

rcabj 06-29-2008 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zootcapri (Post 4577014)
I have a Kyosho Spada with the Sirio .09 engine. Recently the engine consistantly dies after about 5 minutes. Before this started I could run 15 minutes on a tank. The engine doesn't get 'out of range' hot. Generally in the 180-190F range. When it shuts down .. it just stops. When I go to restart the engine rev and dies. When it does this it will not just idle either. It sounded like an airleak so I replaced the tank, pressure and fuel lines. The carb is cast into the crank. The car runs real strong for that 5 minutes then just dies. There is still good pinch.

what size is your engine??

from your statement, by running for 15 minutes on a tank , i believe it must have been excessively lean when refering to a size .12 or .21 engine .

Roelof 06-29-2008 01:10 AM

He is talking about a Spada and a .09 engine......

Did you also try a new glowplug ?

Zootcapri 06-29-2008 04:50 PM

I am running a Kyosho Spada with the .09 Sirio. The 15 minute run time is due to a fuel tank modification that I made to the car. A 75cc tank and the .09 displacement gave me 15 minutes last fall. This year I am getting 5 minutes and then it shuts down.

Yes.. I did install a new glow plug... Thanks for responding.

ezveedub 06-29-2008 07:19 PM

I found out that this motor gets lean on the bottom when it gets to 200F. I was tooling around with my Inferno 09 yesteday. The stock needle setting was very rich. So much that it would not idle and man did the tank drop fast. Still needs more running in though.

What fuel are you running Zootcapri?

Zootcapri 06-29-2008 07:58 PM

The engine likes 180 to 190F.

I use 30%... last year and this year... no change except the funky running this year... I have new engine bearings coming this week. I am hoping that is the fix.

ezveedub 06-29-2008 08:11 PM

Same here. Engine seemed to like the 185 range. Are you just getting new Sirio bearings or ceramics? I ran Maxy's 25%, but I was more into running 16% or 20%. I don't want to kill the engine too quick. I'll be dropping on the Sirio tuned pipeset soon. I'm waiting for the Kyosho pipeset for the Spada to come in this week also. I also have the flywheel coming also.

Zootcapri 06-29-2008 08:48 PM

Sirio bearings.

I am running 20% in my Kyosho Inferno GT... and liking it...

By the way.. this my car:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...6&d=1196910549

ezveedub 06-29-2008 09:55 PM

I see your running the full lower carbon chassis. Is the the Rony, Honest, or Kyosho chassis? If Rony or Honest full carbon, do you have the Charge aluminum heat sink mount? I noticed Kyosho opted to keep the rear engine section aluminum. How did the pipeset feel compared to stock plastic exhaust. I hope the Kyosho black angled pipeset works better.

My next changes are the Kyosho are carbon chassis, rear deck and rear brace. I also like the Charge rear axle shaft with thrust bearings.

ezveedub 06-30-2008 03:23 PM

Zoot, I also noticed you installed a rubber tube to the rear pipe outlet. Did you notice an change in tune. I know that the rubber tube can affect the pipe tuning.

As for me, the Team Kyosho SDW011 tuned pipe exhaust came in today. Looks sleek with its angled mounted one-piece design. I guess I can check to see how the stock, Sirio and Kyosho pipes work/feel on this engine soon. Seems to be a straight through design. No side tip outlet.

raceblast 10-04-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zootcapri (Post 4587450)
I am running a Kyosho Spada with the .09 Sirio. The 15 minute run time is due to a fuel tank modification that I made to the car. A 75cc tank and the .09 displacement gave me 15 minutes last fall. This year I am getting 5 minutes and then it shuts down.

Yes.. I did install a new glow plug... Thanks for responding.

Hi:

What 75cc fuel tank is it? What is the advantage of putting rubber tubing at the exhaust stinger?

Alan

ezveedub 10-05-2008 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by raceblast (Post 4905348)
Hi:

What 75cc fuel tank is it? What is the advantage of putting rubber tubing at the exhaust stinger?

Alan

He has this tank, but you have to relocate your battery and mod the upper tray I believe.

http://www.the-border.com/product.ph...cat=471&page=2

Also, placing a tube on your pipe stinger affects your tune. Some had it as the stock style pipe would blow over the rear making a little mess as the Kyosho race pipe hangs out the back, so it doesn't messy the back of the car.

1FastVW 10-07-2008 09:23 PM

How is the kyosho sdw011 pipe compared to stock plastic pipe? Also compared to chrome inferno pipe?

blee 10-08-2008 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zootcapri (Post 4577014)

(1) replace a new glow plug first
(2) check air leak
(3) check needle setting

(4) none of problem of above, you may need new conrod and crankshaft.

Beside, using 16% nitro is better and should have no performance difference even you use 30% since the engine is very small. ;)

Also this engine need modification if you want better perforamnce and not to using 30% nitro. Hit this link and you would have the clue.

ezveedub 10-08-2008 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastVW (Post 4916039)
How is the kyosho sdw011 pipe compared to stock plastic pipe? Also compared to chrome inferno pipe?

The SDW011 pipe is designed for onroad type performance. The poliched metal pipeset was designed for torque on the mini inferno buggy, but either way, they're better than the composite muffler.