Search
Like Tree13Likes

Murnan Modified Motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brent Davis
I know NOTHING about modding engines but all other modders for us drag racers charge at most $150 for an all out engine so you get my point.
No problem, believe me I get it.

1. As others have said, even if the base motor comes with a rear ceramic, none of them come with a front ceramic bearing. That can be a pricey piece. I doubt too many others will throw in a front bearing and stay at a 150 price. If they do, they are using a really cheap bearing.

2. I haven't seen one of his drag mods but I suspect there is a bit more crank work involved. Crank work can be a real pain in the ass.

3. He has to pay for that dyno somehow. How many other builders have a dyno? I know of one or two but that's about it.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

so does MMM offer a drag engine with dyno testing it?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Grinder
Hi. Both of these engines will run similar times. The 35+21 needs to be geared a little shorter, as it comes on hard at half track to the end. The R1 comes on hard to half track, and then flattens out a little compared to the 35+21. Sean uses a Mac 1120 boat pipe with both engines.

The 35+21 has more peak torque, and HP than the R1. It is just harder to harness the 35+21 power due to peaks happening higher in the powerband compared to the R1.

The comparable cost increase on the R1 vs 35+21 is due to the R1 coming with a steel rear bearing. The 35+21 comes with a ceramic that I can sell as spare parts.
I understand the increase in price. Thanks for the response, basically the same I was hearing around the track. The Kangaroo 14mm has more tq. and spool up faster than the 35+21 14.5mm crank. I here a few guys will be testing the Nova 2052 pipe with these engines for 2010. I have run the Mac 1120 myself.

Yesterday 02:16 PM
Brent Davis so does MMM offer a drag engine with dyno testing it?
Brent, very good qestion. I would like to see the dyno pulls as well to compare the curves. I have to make a decision to go with something by the end of the week, to get the engine back and ready in time for test-n-tune. Hadn't plan to drop this much, but maybe there is something here over the other modders to justify the extra $170 and $250 cost difference. Maybe it's in the bearings....
Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OutlawIGT2
I understand the increase in price. Thanks for the response, basically the same I was hearing around the track. The Kangaroo 14mm has more tq. and spool up faster than the 35+21 14.5mm crank. I here a few guys will be testing the Nova 2052 pipe with these engines for 2010. I have run the Mac 1120 myself.

Brent, very good qestion. I would like to see the dyno pulls as well to compare the curves. I have to make a decision to go with something by the end of the week, to get the engine back and ready in time for test-n-tune. Hadn't plan to drop this much, but maybe there is something here over the other modders to justify the extra $170 and $250 cost difference. Maybe it's in the bearings....
The bearings are the extra cost. There is also more hand, and machine work. I actually make less on the drag mods.

The bearings I use are not your run of the mill ceramic bearings. They are specially made for me to my specifications. The bearings start out as Novarossi bearings. The bearings are checked for play, and roundness. Matched ceramic balls are installed in the bearing to make the best clearances. You would be surprised at how far off some of the high end bearings can be as far as the races not being perfectly round, and the balls beings slightly different sizes, too loose, too tight. This is why my ceramic bearing kits cost so much. I am hardly making anything on them.

Great bearings are an easy way to free up HP.

I will have to search some archives for a drag dyno pull. No promises. I will have a database of dyno runs, and comparisons in the future on my website. A few months away though.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by musti72
Hi Uriah,

Can you compare the M3 and Modified T9? What are the differences between them?

Thanks,
The M3 is based on the MMT9. The parts are interchangeable. The M3 has a ceramic bearing, different crankshaft design, and different sleeve porting, and a different combustion chamber design. The cooling head is also smaller on the M3.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

The M3 is based on the MMT9. The parts are interchangeable. The M3 has a ceramic bearing, different crankshaft design, and different sleeve porting, and a different combustion chamber design. The cooling head is also smaller on the M3.
And the differences concerning power output, powerband?.
The M3 is still the fastest?.

Btw, I can't wait to try the M3. I just can't imagine a .12 engine faster as my current RB R3 RC, this already blows every other engine away.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Grinder the novarossi 21 7T can be modified, is that possible?
If yes, can hold up with 9ports novas,rbs,piccos?
Thanks...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
And the differences concerning power output, powerband?.
The M3 is still the fastest?.

Btw, I can't wait to try the M3. I just can't imagine a .12 engine faster as my current RB R3 RC, this already blows every other engine away.
The M3 is the fastest. Lots more torque than the RC.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by staikosn1
Grinder the novarossi 21 7T can be modified, is that possible?
If yes, can hold up with 9ports novas,rbs,piccos?
Thanks...
The modified N21-7T will hang with the fast engines until the long straight. The newer engines will have more top speed. The modified N21-7T is a great engine for the money.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

The M3 is the fastest. Lots more torque than the RC.
Sorry, I meant the differences between the M3 and the Murnan T9.
Since they are the same price i'm curious what the differences are between them concerning power output, powerband.

But more torque than the RC, that is incredible. When I first mounted the RC I was drifting out of every hairpin because of the low end torque it has.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Murnan Modifieds will again be present at the PNB this year and will be giving a motor away to a lucky psycho racer. Murnan Mods has supported us over the past couple years and we are pumped to have them again this year. Murnan produces some of the best Modded motors in the business with their most current domination being at the On-road Irish National Championships where the top 3 drivers had Murnan power.

Check out their web site at www.murnanmodified.com for a complete list of Off-road engines and accessories or call them at 770-378-9669.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Grinder you got PM....
Old 01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default How not torun a murnan modified 353 08 :(

Engine was temping fine around 110 degrees C

Then next thing you know BANG!! sounded like someon shot it with a gun!
Attached Thumbnails Murnan Modified Motors-353murnan.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrgsr
Engine was temping fine around 110 degrees C

Then next thing you know BANG!! sounded like someon shot it with a gun!

did the sleeve damaged?
if not j@b weld the case and put a new rod.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

haha i dont think JB weld will work

yeh the sleeve is wedged into the case

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.