Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Alternative Cooling - University Research Project- Need some help! >

Alternative Cooling - University Research Project- Need some help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative Cooling - University Research Project- Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Alternative Cooling - University Research Project- Need some help!

Hey guys,

I'm a senior mechanical engineering at Clemson University. I have been very fortunate to be able to do research with our beloved RC engines for my research topic. We are about to begin testing some alternative cooling technologies for our engines that could decrease weight, reliability and (possibly) eliminate overheating-and thus, engine life. I can't really post too much online since it is still considered new research, but I do need some help.

We are trying to select an engine (or two) that the university will acquire for us to test with. The issue is that we can't just use any engine. I need an engine with a very particular profile below the crankcase fins.

We need to be able to machine the fins from the crankcase down until it is flat. We need about 5 mm of space from the top of the crankcase. Ideally, this could be done with a mill from the top down. The result should look something like the very rough picture below.

It can be squared or circular too, but it cannot touch the bolt holes that holds the head button down.

Kinda like this:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/9...42919418_o.jpg

but with as much contact surface area as possible when the fins are gone.

I hope this is somewhat clear. If you could please take a look at your engine or engines you have laying around to see if this would be possible. Pics would be HIGHLY appreciated!!!

Also, if any manufacturers or distributors want to get involved and help with the project, I can discuss further through email. Please PM me and we can discuss the benefits for both parties!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

The crank case you have in your picture is the newest style novarossi crankcase.
You might want to look at the previous style. Still used on the P5XLT. It's a reasonably priced engine as well.

Then you could machine it the same way as that one in your pic, without drilling holes etc.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Someone made these engines awhile back but they never got released. I don't remember who it was but they had water coolers built in instead of cooling heads. They had the prototypes at the toy fair 2 years ago.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Someone made these engines awhile back but they never got released. I don't remember who it was but they had water coolers built in instead of cooling heads. They had the prototypes at the toy fair 2 years ago.
Grossi does a water cooled engine.

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/p10242/G...duct_info.html
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think this is going to end up a bit of a challenge for you. The majority of engine blocks are actually quite thin around the sleeve with the fins removed.

You may consider milling the fins to the proper shape, "filling" the remaining fin cavities with something like Alumiweld or similar, and then remachining to shape.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 AM
Tech Lord

Cooling the side of crankcase is actually a bad place. The buttonhead is the hottest part close to the combustion and also with a tight screwing to the sleeve (low heat resistance) transferring the most of the heat of the sleeve to the head.
If you want an alternitive cooling always use the buttonhead.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 AM
am
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Cooling the side of crankcase is actually a bad place. The buttonhead is the hottest part close to the combustion and also with a tight screwing to the sleeve (low heat resistance) transferring the most of the heat of the sleeve to the head.
If you want an alternitive cooling always use the buttonhead.
What he said :-)

I have some experience with what happends when you run your engine in a cold environment. What happends with the piston when it is cold outside ( around -4 to + 5 degres Celcisus, piston wear down on the front beacuse it get to much cooling from the air. I had to put a lexan plate in the front of the engine. We experimented with some coating on the piston, but when cold, it screwed up. Around the exhaustport pston was always ok, since the blocktemp is always higher there. No, luberication is not a problem.

Just saying that a to cold block is not good. If you can get a design that keeps the block equally hot on all sides, this would also benefit piston/sleeve life and in general the perfomance of an engines should go up, not only in performace, but also in it direct effiency.

Good luck :-)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JamminSP
That's them thanks! I followed that thread for awhile but I don't ever remember the engines actually being released for sale
Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's them thanks! I followed that thread for awhile but I don't ever remember the engines actually being released for sale
They were released but I think only 3 or so of the air cooled made it to the states. Russell Kinsey was testing them for a while. They were really cool and had a unique sound but just didnt hold up to the conditions that we have here in Texas and Louisiana...
Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JamminSP
They were released but I think only 3 or so of the air cooled made it to the states. Russell Kinsey was testing them for a while. They were really cool and had a unique sound but just didnt hold up to the conditions that we have here in Texas and Louisiana...
That's what I was thinking in general about off road. I dont think that Radiator can take too many flips.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

That's what I was thinking in general about off road. I dont think that Radiator can take too many flips.
Have you ever watched amateur motocross??
Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Lord

If you want a better cooling you have to think different. You can think of an aluminium sleeve (can lower the temp by 10 deg C of even an aluminiun sleeve with cooling fins which can even lower the temps by 20 degrees C (see attachement).
Other possibillity to get a smaller head for a lower CG is using a heatpipe, something I want to try. With heatpipes you could transfer the heat to the chassis plate.

Changing a current engine for a better cooling can give problems because that engine is made and designed to work with a certain operating temperature where the size and shape of the head has a huge role in it.
Attached Thumbnails Alternative Cooling - University Research Project- Need some help!-dscf0126.jpg   Alternative Cooling - University Research Project- Need some help!-dscf0127.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

How would this be beneficial being these engines require heat? Testing fuel deliver /
Cooling would be interesting.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Tech Lord

Heat is required to expand things

The conical shape in the sleeve (also known as taper) will straighten up when the engine is on temperature.