Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
has anyone sent a new engine out to be broken in properly? Too cold to do it here. >

has anyone sent a new engine out to be broken in properly? Too cold to do it here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

has anyone sent a new engine out to be broken in properly? Too cold to do it here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default has anyone sent a new engine out to be broken in properly? Too cold to do it here.

hey everyone. getting a new mgt 8.0. i don't want to have to wait till april to run it and i don't want to sacrafice any life/performance by not getting a proper break-in. has anyone ever sent a engine out for professional break-in? if so please let me know where and how it worked out. also if you have every broken a engine in in the winter with good results please let me know how you did it.
thanks,
ben
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benbishop98
hey everyone. getting a new mgt 8.0. i don't want to have to wait till april to run it and i don't want to sacrafice any life/performance by not getting a proper break-in. has anyone ever sent a engine out for professional break-in? if so please let me know where and how it worked out. also if you have every broken a engine in in the winter with good results please let me know how you did it.
thanks,
ben
www.clockworkracingengines.com
Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dude wrap it in foil, leave hole for igniter. Turn idle up half a turn from factory, let idle 2 1/2, 3 tanks. Leave foil on 1 or 2 tanks easy adjustments runnin round, then take off foil n go, Picco's website breaks it down the best. Basically what I've done/followed forever
Old 12-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't know how much money you've got to burn, but I don't think a break-in service that probably costs near as much as that RTR engine is worth it.

Do some research on break-in videos. The procedure doesn't change a whole lot just because it is winter; what changes the most is your attention to monitor the temperature.

My $.02
Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PINKY_MCCARTY
Dude wrap it in foil, leave hole for igniter. Turn idle up half a turn from factory, let idle 2 1/2, 3 tanks. Leave foil on 1 or 2 tanks easy adjustments runnin round, then take off foil n go, Picco's website breaks it down the best. Basically what I've done/followed forever
I broke my motor in last winter similar to this and it's still going strong. If you don't have a temp gauge then get one and make sure you keep heat in it.220ish should suffice. If you must send it out then for sure go with clockworkracing. Top notch people. Good luck and have fun
Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benbishop98
thanks,
ben
do some research and run it! Break in service cost at least 1/2 the cost of the engine, plus shipping...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i get em all the time

bench break in - 35$
ready 2 run break in - 60$
plus return shipping
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
i get em all the time

bench break in - 35$
ready 2 run break in - 60$
plus return shipping
Thats damn cheap Monty! It would be worth it for me on my next motor to send it back to the US or have it shipped to you then for you to ship it to me Will remember that on my next engine
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc
Thats damn cheap Monty! It would be worth it for me on my next motor to send it back to the US or have it shipped to you then for you to ship it to me Will remember that on my next engine
Orrrrr try one of mine ,lol
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston
Orrrrr try one of mine ,lol
Would have instead of the Bonitto, but when I broke my piston in the other engine I needed one now Had a race the next weekend. I was really looking forward to the x5fm Hopefully next time I need an engine I won't need it in a week. With parts availability I will probably be going with one of your NOVA engines instead of the other just "in case" I run into an unforeseeable problem as there is one authorized nova distributor in Vietnam
Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hookem34

Nothing But the best.