Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
alpha a852 v's nova plus 4btt >

alpha a852 v's nova plus 4btt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

alpha a852 v's nova plus 4btt

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default alpha a852 v's nova plus 4btt

just wondering about peoples experiences with these two engines comparatively. what are the differences you have noticed between the two? strengths, weaknesses, similarities...

thanks guys
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I havn't run any of the Alpha Motors but I own a plus 4 btt. And I can tell you the plus 4 is very smooth from bottom to top. Great fuel mileage (ran 11:22 minutes in practice with a 2058 pipe and I expect close to 12 or more minutes with a 2096 pipe) The expected life span of a Novarossi motor is very long, considering they take about 2 gallons to break in. I just started my 4th gallon and its still hard to turn over when cold. I have a filled crank in mine and short run up jumps at the tracks I have raced at with it have not been a problem. You may also want to look at a Fusion x3 or X5. THe x5 is the newest motor. THey are build by Novarossi and are in the same ballpark price wise as the Plus 4 motors. Check out the Fusion thread or the Houston's engine service thread for more info.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Many will argue this but you pay for what you get. Alpha motors are great there are a few running at my local tracks their performers but Nova too me is a better pick cause of the brand,history and quality . They have superior carbs their made too last their consistent. Also think the same about OS they know what there doing for many many years. Performance wise the 4 is a smooth mill great run times perfect for buggy. The great think with an alpha is if you throw a rod your not busting your bank account.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default A852 vs 4BTT

I actually have both motors, I have a lot more history with the A852 since I just started running for serpent and novarossi. Both motors are great motors but they have different job purposes.
The A852 has a lot of power, both top and bottom, it can be used in both buggy and truggy, fuel consumption is above average (many variables here), durability is good and in my experience this motor is easy to tune. After several gallons of use you may expect some issues with the carburator (random issue) and also in my experience must likely it will end its life by blowing up a rod. I have seen this motor run great until they blow up a rod out of nowhere and once they blow up a rod the take the rest of the motor with it. the only thing you may reuse will the the carb and cooling head. Alphas are great motors for the money, they are always working on improving their motors specially with Ryan Lutz. If you decide to get an alpha get the ryan lutz edition.

The 4BTT is a purpose build motor with a power band design for buggies, in my opinion the throttle response from the motor feels more accurate. You can achieve great run times with the 4BTT. This motor requires a more experience tuner, carburator is very sensitive to needle adjustments, once you find a good balance between low speed and hi speed needles this motor works awesome!. Also it is very important to use the correct pipe and header with this motor. The quality of the 4BTT it is excellent, case is good, bearings are good, carburator is good and the best thing is that you will probably never break a rod, (4BTT has the R7 rod, the best build by nova) all the result of one of the best manufactures out there.

overall the 4BTT has superior quality, durability, and better power band.
The A852 may have too much power sometimes making the car harder to drive and could end its life with a bang. If you want all the greatness of a BTT and a lot more power there is always the Bonito.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PT RC Racing
The A852 has a lot of power, both top and bottom, it can be used in both buggy and truggy, fuel consumption is above average (many variables here), durability is good and in my experience this motor is easy to tune. After several gallons of use you may expect some issues with the carburator (random issue) and also in my experience must likely it will end its life by blowing up a rod. I have seen this motor run great until they blow up a rod out of nowhere and once they blow up a rod the take the rest of the motor with it. the only thing you may reuse will the the carb and cooling head. Alphas are great motors for the money, they are always working on improving their motors specially with Ryan Lutz. If you decide to get an alpha get the ryan lutz edition.

The 4BTT is a purpose build motor with a power band design for buggies, in my opinion the throttle response from the motor feels more accurate. You can achieve great run times with the 4BTT. This motor requires a more experience tuner, carburator is very sensitive to needle adjustments, once you find a good balance between low speed and hi speed needles this motor works awesome!. Also it is very important to use the correct pipe and header with this motor. The quality of the 4BTT it is excellent, case is good, bearings are good, carburator is good and the best thing is that you will probably never break a rod, (4BTT has the R7 rod, the best build by nova) all the result of one of the best manufactures out there.
I agree the difference on the powerbands. If you want smooth engine then you should pick A872 instead of A852.

Regarding the ROD. If you treat your engine good it will not blow a rod. Regardless of the engine you need to service it and replace parts if needed and if you just run it it till the end Nova can pop the rod as likely as Alpha. In case you manage to get slop to Alpha rod it's very affordable to change. Not like Nova where a rod + pin + clips is like same price than Alpha Piston/Sleeve/Rod set.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for your input guys. those two engines appear to be similarly priced. this was part of the resin for the comparison.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

The plus-4 is a great motor. It is easier to drive punched and not get into trouble. It is easy on the con rod, and will last a long time if cared for.

The plus-4 seems to be really good on a slippery track, and the p5 on a dialed track. In my experience.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Poinas2
I agree the difference on the powerbands. If you want smooth engine then you should pick A872 instead of A852.

Regarding the ROD. If you treat your engine good it will not blow a rod. Regardless of the engine you need to service it and replace parts if needed and if you just run it it till the end Nova can pop the rod as likely as Alpha. In case you manage to get slop to Alpha rod it's very affordable to change. Not like Nova where a rod + pin + clips is like same price than Alpha Piston/Sleeve/Rod set.

+1 most of the time the cause is leaning the engine out to soon and running to hard before fully broke in or just running lean. There are no issues with carbs anymore either all the bugs of the past have been addressed and the new engines are very solid.

You will hear all kinds of opinions on engines. I know a lot of guys who cant tune a Nova and keep them relliable, I know many people who cant make an OS last more than 2 gallons, I know guys who put OS carbs on every engine they buy whether it be a Nova, Sirio whatever.

I know guys who love novas, who love Werks etc...

Bottom line is all these little engines will have failures occasionally, all brands I see it everyday. So much of engines peformance and reliability has to do with the user that you cant always blame the engine.

Best thing to do is try a couple things and see what works for you.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

99% user, 1% the engine.....some guys can destroy a anvil with a rubber mallet
Old 08-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
..lol Very true
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ROFL
yes, there are some very sophisticated tuners out there

Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Thats impossible.

17% engine, 83% user

Can't really race with one of those redcat engines, so engines are a factor...lol

Last edited by rcuser567345; 08-17-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chopper82p
Thats against the laws of physics.

17% engine, 83% user

Can't really race with one of those redcat engines, so engines are a factor...lol
That is total bull, I raced a redcat engine and came in last in Z main!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Yeah the percentage isn't that high a user is a big factor but it also comes down to materials, tolerances and how the motor is sized. If you don't know how to break-in a tight pinched motor then your already behind the 8 ball thats were you get a lot of breakage. I'm glad a lot of these budget mills manufactures are listening to there users it makes for a better product you don't hear as much chatter from before so you know there working out the bugs.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

21% engine 89% user

put forth 110%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.