Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RADICAL and OPS Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I heard the Radical was based off the CMB. This was like 8 yrs. ago though. I have the CMB .21 which was pinched by OSRocket and it is still running great.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

no the radicals are based off the ops engines as far as im aware..thats like having a good pedigree before you start hehe

dave
Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Free Shpping on RADICAL Engines

Hello everyone yes the venturi carb and restrictors come with the motors. Also there is free shipping on any Radical products. Price has not gone up even though the Euro has quite a bit.

~Dave
Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

Cool 621T Testing

Hi Everyone,

I have the first engine from the 08 batch of Radical engines and did some testing. Indoor clay at TRCR in Tacoma Wash.

Broke in with flywheel only in car (do not rev and take shoes off). Used heat gun 200deg. Prime it, started first pop. Idled perfectly at 200 after leaning top and bottom and setting idle. Engine responds well to adjustments. Breakin 1/2 tanks at a time letting cool completly between(8 cycles). Disasembled and cleaned, just starting to see shinney ring on sleeve. Deck height came at .027, lowered deck to .022. Ran 2 tanks on street and richened top and bottom until sounding rich, leaned top a bit and then leaned bottom until snappy. This engine will not run lean. It will bog. Boy does this engine have power. Packed it up and went to the track. Heatgun 200, fired right up and ran awsome. Qualifiers went good. Runs at 180degs and is ballistic. Richened bottom and it was much more drivable. This motor is way too much indoor, but very fun, litteraly screams on the top end, with no dead spots anywhere, easy to tune. Came in 2nd in the main. Small turnout, but great competition. Temped after running as hard as I could at 220. Only a ten minute main and I never pitted and ran out of fuel after the last lap ( litteraly) Plug looks great, still moist around element. Element just slightly rough and a little shiney. Couldn't be happier.

I'm very impressed with everything about this engine. It reminds me of my on-road Picco G1.

I run LOSI 8B. 14/48. 2carbon/green. 2alum/gold. #6GRP turbo plug. I used the Radical adjustable length pipe set at 20.8mm coupling length. Blue Thunder Race Formula 30%.

Let me know if you have ?'s.

Dave will post some pics of the internals. My pictures need resizing.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gotnitro2
Hello everyone yes the venturi carb and restrictors come with the motors. Also there is free shipping on any Radical products. Price has not gone up even though the Euro has quite a bit.

~Dave
Comes with 7.5,8.0,9.0mm
Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gotnitro2

~Dave
I see you made here is your business picking up now. Trying to help you still

I've had this engine 621T for almost 1 1/2 years. It is in my Hellfire had many gallons through it. Still getting over 10 mins run time. I've had the temps up too 290 that was in 30 main never ran that long before wasn't tuned for that long main. most of the time 260-250 temp. Truggies have less airflow over the engine than buggies do so they tend to run warmer even worst in a monster truck.. It has losted it's cyl pinch but still runs good. I just put in new piston and sleeve last nite and broke it in. Bearings still tight no play, connecting rod still tight on the crank. Was wanting to replace it but they forgot to ship the rods in there shipment to GOTNITRO2. Thanks for the parts Dave.

I need to call you about the bigger cooling head and connecting rod.

I put my back up Radical 621T in my RC8 I got in July 2. That thing really hauls the mail. I raced it for the 1st time last weekend. Had many poeple ask me what I had for a engine that thing was hauling they said. Most around here are stuck on OS, noverossi and RB they are surprized by the Radical.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lets see some engine pics and mabey even some video. That will really get peoples attention.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

My temp is on board temp gauge it's wire is betwwen the block and head. From what I've seen that spot is hotter on all the engines I've ran.

Beside you can tell if it's running hot by the way it smells. I've seen many buggies come off the track you can tell they are running hot but they claim it was 220.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
My temp is on board temp gauge it's wire is betwwen the block and head. From what I've seen that spot is hotter on all the engines I've ran.

Beside you can tell if it's running hot by the way it smells. I've seen many buggies come off the track you can tell they are running hot but they claim it was 220.
If you want to know if you are lean, look at your plug under an eye loop. It has to be moist around the element and dry on the edge of the OD. The element should still be a little shinny and starting to get a little rough. Of coarse this has to be good plug to start with. This is truly the only way to know for sure.

Temperature is a relative thing and the only temp gun I trust is an Exergen.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rccarracer15
Lets see some engine pics and mabey even some video. That will really get peoples attention.
I sent some pics to Dave of the insides. they were too large to post. Damn I wish I would have taked a video, that would have told the story. That motor was ulling the front end up down the straight. Too much for indoor, but I loved it anyway.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

if you want to email me the pics i can crop and resize and host them for you,we have a fair bit of interest in the uk and people keep asking me for pictures..its doing my head in lol

email to fastboy at blueyonder.co.uk
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stanton
If you want to know if you are lean, look at your plug under an eye loop. It has to be moist around the element and dry on the edge of the OD. The element should still be a little shinny and starting to get a little rough. Of coarse this has to be good plug to start with. This is truly the only way to know for sure.

Temperature is a relative thing and the only temp gun I trust is an Exergen.
You right about the temp thing so many get hung up on it. I do read the glow plug I'm not burning them up the wire isn't grey or distorted no pitting on top of the piston. I'm running P3 and sometimes P4 on 30% sidewinder fuel. Don't run a P6 I did by accident it just died after coming down to a idle LOL oops my part.

When I started in nitro it was tune by sound and smoke. It's not too lean if you if you not burning plugs and engine damage
Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

People running these should note that Radicals tend to run cooler than what you are used to. I have run the 628 for 2 years now and it is great. But it does not like to get over 220. Right around 200 is the sweet spot for these. If you get much hotter you will shorten the life. I know temps are not the end all but most people that have run these will tell you the same thing. Good mills. Hope they get the support to succeed this time around.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default radical or ops

easy to tune makes more than enough power at 200 will lean bog if over 225. 8min per tank (heavy trigger finger)one of the best engines that I have (rb,werk,os)
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Hi All,

Are these engines shimmed to run 25% out of the box?
What pipes are you guys using?

I've always had a soft spot for OPS & Picco engines, back in the day when I saw first hand what torture these engines went through in model boat world championships I was just blown away and fuels were not as advanced as they are now. Great engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.