Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
The New Werks B3 Pro II Engine >

The New Werks B3 Pro II Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree23Likes

The New Werks B3 Pro II Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Gotcha!! thanks for the infos! ill start by removing one brass shim, and we'll keep detonation in check! Im using VP 30% 9% oil powermaster. As well as P3 o.s plug.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Usually fuel will dictate the detonation capacity. But in this case, not sure how nitro % will affect octane level??!
Old 07-28-2020, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inlinesick
Usually fuel will dictate the detonation capacity. But in this case, not sure how nitro % will affect octane level??!

Yes in general fuel will dictate the anti-knock characteristics (what you called the detonation capacity). More specifically though the lower the oil content, the higher the overall methanol percentage in the fuel will be and increasing the methanol content increases the anti-knock capabilities of the fuel. As far as your questions about not being sure about how nitro percentage affects octane level, that's not really how it comes into play. Nitrogen is an oxygenator so keeping it basic in RC fuel it is added to the methanol to increase the energy that the fuel mixture produces when burnt. Another way of saying this is nitro is added to increase the force of the explosion generated during the combustion process. So let's take as example running a fuel with 20% nitro content versus 30%. During combustion the 20% nitro fuel will generate less energy (produce a less forceful explosion) than when running the 30% nitro fuel. So when you run a lower nitro % fuel you are also able to run a lower deck height with less likelihood of detonation (than when you run a higher nitro % fuel) because with the lower nitro % fuel there simply is less energy produced during the combustion process (aka it produces a less forceful explosion). Hope that helps clarify things a little!
inlinesick likes this.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

So since i strickly use Vp 30% should i leave all the shims? Is there some kind of chart i could use, to avoid detonation? There is no knock sensors on the motorLOL!!!
Old 07-29-2020, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by inlinesick
So since i strickly use Vp 30% should i leave all the shims? Is there some kind of chart i could use, to avoid detonation? There is no knock sensors on the motorLOL!!!
Adjusting deck height is not really hard but it something that you need to follow a system to do correctly so that you are checking after each adustment until you find the limits. If you are not familiar with how to do this then I would suggest that you just leave the deck height alone. Again adjusting it is more a fine tuning type of thing, it's not going to make a nite and day difference. So imho if you are not familar with how to do it properly it is not worth risking the potential damage to your engine messing with it. Just my $0.02
inlinesick likes this.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

I'd like to congratulate team driver Cameron Saxton on taking the win in Intermediate Nitro Buggy at the Wicked Weekend! Cameron used our B3-Pro II and 2058 pipe set to power him to the win.

I would also like to congratulate team driver Evan Vail on his top 10 finish in Nitro Pro Buggy running our B3-Pro II and 2058 pipe set in addition to Werks team captain Robin Nelson on narrowly missing out on a podium spot in 40+ Nitro Buggy also using our B3-Pro II and 2058 pipe set.

Overall this was an excellent outing for us at Werks Racing with our different engine models taking the win in Sportsman Nitro Buggy, Sportsman Nitro Truggy, Intermediate Nitro Buggy in addition to top 10 finished in Pro Nitro Truggy, Pro Nitro Buggy and 40+ Nitro Buggy!
frewster likes this.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Unboxing of 2019 werks B3pro2

Old 04-01-2021, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for posting the review, I'll take a look at it!
jersey likes this.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Werks
Thanks for posting the review, I'll take a look at it!
thanks!, it’s more of a unboxing cause I haven’t ran it yet. I’ve only run a b5pro2 so far. I have another B3pro2 and a b7 Kortz that I haven’t run yet. Season bout to start up soon so I’ll get it broken in and have footage and review later down the line.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jersey
thanks!, it’s more of a unboxing cause I haven’t ran it yet. I’ve only run a b5pro2 so far. I have another B3pro2 and a b7 Kortz that I haven’t run yet. Season bout to start up soon so I’ll get it broken in and have footage and review later down the line.
Awesome, let me know what your thoughts are once you get a chance to run them! Also took a look at the unboxing and noticed you mentioned that our crank did not have DLC coating, there is a reason for that. DLC aka diamond like coating is a treating/technology that is used to increase surface hardness of metal, basically you are making it diamond hard in order to decrease wear and hence extend part life. This treatment was initially introduced in RC engines by Jean Paul of JP Racing in France around 2002 or so when he introduced his line of JP Modified OS V-Spec engines (his modified motor was basically copied by OS and released as the OS Speed engine). It (DLC) was done to address a specific issue that OS had with previous generation engines which was that the they were not able to properly harden their crankshafts, so the crank pins wore prematurely. So it was not unusual with the V-Spec and it's predecessors that when it was time to replace the piston/sleeve set and rod you would also need to replace the very expensive crankshaft too because it was out of tolerance making rebuilding the engine a very expensive proposition! The Italians on the other hand never had any issues with being able to properly harden their steel, so using our cranks as example in testing we have found that on average with a normally operated engine our crank pins easily will last the life of 5x piston and sleeve set replacements before being out of tolerance. Who rebuilds an engine 5 times nowadays??? So with the exception of OS engine what is the actual benefit to the owner of Italian engines? Honestly the only one that comes to mind is the fact that it has a cool black look to it and I guess you can boast to people that your crank has DLC coating on it. On the flip side though what a lot of people do not think about is that DLC crank that added zero to your performance or engine life (unless you have an OS engine) probably increased the price that you will pay for an engine with it by $80-$120.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Werks
Awesome, let me know what your thoughts are once you get a chance to run them! Also took a look at the unboxing and noticed you mentioned that our crank did not have DLC coating, there is a reason for that. DLC aka diamond like coating is a treating/technology that is used to increase surface hardness of metal, basically you are making it diamond hard in order to decrease wear and hence extend part life. This treatment was initially introduced in RC engines by Jean Paul of JP Racing in France around 2002 or so when he introduced his line of JP Modified OS V-Spec engines (his modified motor was basically copied by OS and released as the OS Speed engine). It (DLC) was done to address a specific issue that OS had with previous generation engines which was that the they were not able to properly harden their crankshafts, so the crank pins wore prematurely. So it was not unusual with the V-Spec and it's predecessors that when it was time to replace the piston/sleeve set and rod you would also need to replace the very expensive crankshaft too because it was out of tolerance making rebuilding the engine a very expensive proposition! The Italians on the other hand never had any issues with being able to properly harden their steel, so using our cranks as example in testing we have found that on average with a normally operated engine our crank pins easily will last the life of 5x piston and sleeve set replacements before being out of tolerance. Who rebuilds an engine 5 times nowadays??? So with the exception of OS engine what is the actual benefit to the owner of Italian engines? Honestly the only one that comes to mind is the fact that it has a cool black look to it and I guess you can boast to people that your crank has DLC coating on it. On the flip side though what a lot of people do not think about is that DLC crank that added zero to your performance or engine life (unless you have an OS engine) probably increased the price that you will pay for an engine with it by $80-$120.
Ight I’ll let you know once I get some time on it. Yea I was just giving some info. Yea I remember everyone saying vspec cranks wore out quick etc. I didn’t Rc then but have heard it and read it etc. os now are soft metals to I wouldn’t buy a os unless it had dlc. Yea I know some guys don’t even rebuild dlc engines so for some people there just buying it cause it’s fancy top of line engine etc but for a guy that’s gonna rebuild engines etc it’s good thing. But yea I know some steel cranks that are hardened steel will last super long as well. I know the nova cranks as well are hardened and can withstand a lot of gallons Wasn’t saying non dlc is bad thing. Only thing about non dlc some cheaper fuels may rust it or if someone doesn’t take care of engine can rust that’s really the only thing for someone that doesn’t take care of there stuff though. But yea depends on manufacture some companies like os I’d only buy dlc engine. But like nova I know there steel cranks last long time. But yea looking forward to getting it out on the track. Gonna try p3 plugs and werks 5 plug. Then I wanna try couple pipes I have on it and see how it feels. Is b3 pro 2 still in production I saw amain discontinued it. Will absolute still carry it? Are the other werks engines getting there heads changed to the mid profile head or was that just for B3pro2? Thanks
Old 04-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jersey
Is b3 pro 2 still in production I saw amain discontinued it. Will absolute still carry it? Are the other werks engines getting there heads changed to the mid profile head or was that just for B3pro2? Thanks
Yes the B3-Pro 2 is still in production and we have them in stock. Over the last 6 months or so dealing with the pandemic, only limited staff being able to come into work etc A-main has been scaling back the products they stock and the B3-Pro 2 was one of the victims. Not sure if they will pick it up again when things get back to normal but again as mentioned if a person can not find one in stock at a dealer they can order it directly from us. In regards to your cooling head question, we are always testing and developing out products and we update them frequently during their production runs. I can't get into the specifics until product is released but we have a lot in the werks .
jersey likes this.