On Road Class Consolidation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Road Class Consolidation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

The off road example probably wasn't my best analogy. IMO, I think the classes based on skill level makes the strongest format for the development and growth, for a strong race program.
I'm pretty sure a spec motor would be determined by the track owner based by the size of his track, for the novice and intermediate levels. I think ROAR is thinking of the 17.5 to be the spec motor for the novice level and the 13.5 for the intermediate level racer.

The biggest complaint I hear about the ECT program is the additional super stock classes. Most want it eliminated, due to the majority running the same motor in super stock and mod classes. What's the point, other than double track time. Makes for an already long day, longer. The racers would remain the same, but would make for more competition.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut
Seems like a plan to drive more people out of on road than anything. 5.5t intermediate good luck with that one. Kinda like having the high school drags and you can only run nitro funny cars.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JROCK4224
Umm, when was the last pro stock club race? never. At at club race if you run a 19 turn or 10.5 you run with the mods...like I choose too. I think Maybell post was in essence, to club racing more than big races. At the club level a simple determination of mod or stock, novice is easier. WGT, F-1, Mini and Trans am are all similar to slash classes, defined rules....spec class if you will. I think being a confused off roader that would it makes it easier for us to wanna come race. Me, I'm excited about racing on road this year. Gonna run some 13.5 touring and my wgt is all built and ready for some track time......Can't wait

Dut.......is that gtb gone yet?
damn it man, keep up.

fred compared the traveling ECT off road series, to the traveling NWIC on road series
Old 02-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcplus
Ok we will not get rid of 1/12 in the nwic!

What we are thinking is

1/12 17.5 lipo 7.4? 13.5 3.7?
WGT 17.5 lipo 7.4
stk rubber sedan 17.5.
??? rubber sedan (maybe) most likely 13.5 or 10.5
foam sedan 10.5?

Guys this is all still up in the air and we are still in development. We realize there are to many classes and that the 1/12 battery thing is an issue still in the R&D stage. The decision may not be made soon as technology is still changing. We all hope to have a decision long before the series starts next year.

Remember we will try to stay as close to the rest of the world as we can and that races are now 6 min in most classes and 8 min in 1/12

The other thing that i think has reduced the turnout is triple a mains. Allot of people don't come to race if they can't make the a because they don't get to race as much as the a main guys. I think we need to go back to single mains with a bump up everyone pays the same and gets the same amount of racing!
Yes if you brake then your last so be it don't crash or take that chance. reward consistency. I even like average your best 3 out of 4 quals to set the mains.

Sean-Cherry- if I was forced to race in what you call expert class with the 5.5 motor i would no longer race because it is above my skill level. if i had to race expert with a 13.5 or 17.5 and we all used the same motor in novice sportsman and expert i would be fine with that.

Ron Smith
RCPlus Hobbies
1685 25th ST. SE
Salem Oregon 97302
503-364-9188
For WGT I would think anything slower than 13.5/4 cell would be better. I would be worried that 17.5 7.4 lipo would be to fast. While I could live with the 10.5 4 cell detour it did spread out the racers and the lowest turnout was at SIR. 13.5 Single cell lipo might be worth looking at so no one has to go out and buy a 21.5.

Also for quals I like the idea of best 3 out of 4 or maybe even best 2 out of 4. Single A's, 2 bumps?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Dut.......is that gtb gone yet?
Yup
Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Just a note on another topic? How about everyone put there name in there post someware so we all know who everyone is?

Ron Smith

Last edited by rcplus; 02-16-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added name
Old 02-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtveten
The biggest complaint I hear about the ECT program is the additional super stock classes. Most want it eliminated, due to the majority running the same motor in super stock and mod classes. What's the point, other than double track time. Makes for an already long day, longer. The racers would remain the same, but would make for more competition.
Agreed! If you elimanted the pro stock, then you'd have plenty of time for Brians 30min Enduro. Which actually sounds funner, then everyone dropping out of mod and into prostock. At first I loved prostock, but after this year, I dropped out of ECT cause everyone dropped out of mod and into prostock. Not that I ever had a chance in mod or prostock but I woulda raced mod had I known that prostock would be FULL of sand baggers! Myself included, although I don't think I qualify as a sand bagger cause that would mean I had a chance to win anything....and I don't. Cause I suck! Cant wait to suck at on road this summer....at least it's sunny .....usually!

Ron Burgandy......
Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcplus
Just a note on another topic? How about everyone put there name in there post someware so we all know who everyone is?
Starting with you?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Mike. A thread about this is a great idea!

I feel it is also important to take a hard look at eliminating foam TC racing. We all know they are fun to drive but they are just plain too expensive. RC icon Rick Hohwart has been saying this for years. I remember him predicting a few years back that if we keep running foam tires that TC racing will suffer. Look where we are now...

The Euro stars love to run foam once a year when they come to the IIC in Vegas. The thing is that they dont have to pay for the 12-18 sets of tires they use during the event.

It may take years for the big US races to eliminate foam tires for TC. I hope its is not too late...

Onroad electric is my first love in RC racing...I am frightened that if we dont cut the classes way down, go to rubber tires only for TC and eliminate sandbagging at all levels then we are doomed!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

yes you are correct i forgot it in the last post but the one befor i did and I'm editing my id as i type so it showes every time thanks roger!

Ron Smith

Last edited by rcplus; 02-16-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added name
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed! If you elimanted the pro stock, then you'd have plenty of time for Brians 30min Enduro. Which actually sounds funner, then everyone dropping out of mod and into prostock. At first I loved prostock, but after this year, I dropped out of ECT cause everyone dropped out of mod and into prostock. Not that I ever had a chance in mod or prostock but I woulda raced mod had I known that prostock would be FULL of sand baggers! Myself included, although I don't think I qualify as a sand bagger cause that would mean I had a chance to win anything....and I don't. Cause I suck! Cant wait to suck at on road this summer....at least it's sunny .....usually!

Ron Burgandy......
Is this signed Achorman?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

If you are asking if Ron B signed his post yes he did.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtveten
The off road example probably wasn't my best analogy. IMO, I think the classes based on skill level makes the strongest format for the development and growth, for a strong race program.
I'm pretty sure a spec motor would be determined by the track owner based by the size of his track, for the novice and intermediate levels. I think ROAR is thinking of the 17.5 to be the spec motor for the novice level and the 13.5 for the intermediate level racer.

I think I know what you were saying, I was more going off of Koreys post. in electric off road, for years there were two types of chassis, buggy and truck, broke into two classes, stock and mod. we have to remember also at TRCR, they allow the 13.5 to run in the 17.5 class so they don't have a third class like on road does.

if we think back to the 'old' days of FW, before the 19t motor came out, there was a mod class, and stock class but going great, after the 19t, some dropped out of mod, and some dropped moved up from stock, and thus the class numbers dropped. last year the 13.5 (19t) numbers were up, 17.5 (stock) was rebuilding. mod was in and out. dropping the 13.5 class will make 17.5 more competitive, and hopefully grow the mod class. The WGT class on the other hand will be split into two groups, but hopefully run as one class. SIR has a bunch of 1/12 scales itching for a place to run plus some regular FW racers aren't ready to give up on it yet either, so i expect that class to be rethought and added to the regular race program. with Trans Am being a SILVER CAN class this year, This should be where the Novices learn to hone thier skills and we can drop the novice class. Nitro could be nitro reguardless of skill and that would take care of any novice gas guys which last year there were NONE of.

so how does,

MOD
Stock 17.5/27t
WGT
1/12
T/A
and Nitro look, dang, thats still a lot of classes

none of that is offical or has even been run by the "rules commitee" so don't get excited.

just my opinion
Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
damn it man, keep up.

fred compared the traveling ECT off road series, to the traveling NWIC on road series
Ron Burgandy, yeah what Ritchie said, this got started on the NWIC thread and thought it would continue on that way. At TRCR at least the only car with 2 classes consistently is stock and mod 2 wheel and it looks like mod is now the biggest class for club racin'

Fred Forg
Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Ron Burgandy, yeah what Ritchie said, this got started on the NWIC thread and thought it would continue on that way. At TRCR at least the only car with 2 classes consistently is stock and mod 2 wheel and it looks like mod is now the biggest class for club racin'

Fred Forg
These reason that 2wd mod is bigger now is because of brushless and lipo. A few years back you were lucky to get 3 mod buggies on the track. No one wanted the hassle of motor maintenance on a regular basis.

Stay classy Seattle

Mike I still owe Dave Ehrlich one DuTemple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.