Wiki Posts
Search

Overgearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Overgearing

Does anyone run with there front overgeared (front spinning faster than rear) and what track conditions and type (tight and twisty or open) would this suit. Thanks

Taffyjnr5
Old 04-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taffyjnr5
Does anyone run with there front overgeared (front spinning faster than rear) and what track conditions and type (tight and twisty or open) would this suit. Thanks

Taffyjnr5
if by that you mean changing the side pulley for one with 1 less tooth, its actually almost 1.1 drive front to rear,and would suit a small to medium track with low traction. you can use same diameter all round like this or maybe 1mm larger on the back . in low traction conditions it gives you better traction in rear when you gas it and tyre wear is much more even good luck and enjoy
Old 04-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Taffyjnr5
technically it is call front overdrive.

front overdrive is good for low traction track.

the downside are rear tires wear faster and possibility of strained middle belt when front overdrive is too extreme.

racers usually use 2mm - 3mm split between front and rear tires ( smaller front dia. ).
Old 04-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I routinely run front overdrive. What it does is give more on power steering. It allows me to really accelerate through turns. It give more corner exit speed. Many cars as you accelerate out of a turn tend to push as weight transfers to the rear. With the front turning faster than the rears it tends to reduce rear squat as well as pull the car throught the turn.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I routinely run front overdrive. What it does is give more on power steering. It allows me to really accelerate through turns. It give more corner exit speed. Many cars as you accelerate out of a turn tend to push as weight transfers to the rear. With the front turning faster than the rears it tends to reduce rear squat as well as pull the car throught the turn.
is this with using a 24 tooth or 23 tooth gear for side belt
Old 04-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You can get front overdrive with any front pulley. On an MTX4 with a 24t front pulley you will start getting front overdrive when your split is between 2 - 2.5mm. (If my memory serves me right). I would never consider using a 23t pulley on the MTX4 unless you want a lot of front overdrive.

There is an overdrive chart on mugen japans website.

www.mugenseiki.com

Click on english, then on the right side.... setting sheets. You will see all kinds of sheets including the overdrive chart.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Tech Champion

Taffyjnr5
What car is yours ?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have just started in Nitro (raced electic for 2 years) and I am running a Hobao GPX-4 Pro/O.S. Thanks

Taffyjnr5
Old 04-30-2006, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
You can get front overdrive with any front pulley. On an MTX4 with a 24t front pulley you will start getting front overdrive when your split is between 2 - 2.5mm. (If my memory serves me right). I would never consider using a 23t pulley on the MTX4 unless you want a lot of front overdrive.

There is an overdrive chart on mugen japans website.

www.mugenseiki.com

Click on english, then on the right side.... setting sheets. You will see all kinds of sheets including the overdrive chart.
thanks scott, my mistake, next time i'll pay closer attention to how many teeth my over drive chart tells me are there hehehe and looks like i mixed up which pulley did what too sorry about that , back to school for me
Old 04-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asw7576
front overdrive is good for low traction track.
can you explain a bit more, why is it good for low traction track ?