Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Sewing Machine Oil for one way bearing ? >

Sewing Machine Oil for one way bearing ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sewing Machine Oil for one way bearing ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Sewing Machine Oil for one way bearing ?

read that some use Sewing Machine Oil to lube their one-way bearing. Is this good or bad to do ?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just use one way bearing oil... The one way bearings on our little cars takes a lot of abuse. You dont even have to oil them that often, just one drop every once in a while is enough. Im sure someone at the track has some that they can let you borrow.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Just use one way bearing oil... The one way bearings on our little cars takes a lot of abuse. You dont even have to oil them that often, just one drop every once in a while is enough. Im sure someone at the track has some that they can let you borrow.
Hey Steve I have some on order but just was asking because of what I read, I think back in the day Serpent or Mugen used to make one way oil that now seems hard to find.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Hey Steve I have some on order but just was asking because of what I read, I think back in the day Serpent or Mugen used to make one way oil that now seems hard to find.
Xceed has it now
Old 05-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sewing machine oil will be fine.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BigC2007
read that some use Sewing Machine Oil to lube their one-way bearing. Is this good or bad to do ?
Usually the product in rc packing price will raise up a lot, but it wil be the same product that you can find in hardware or automotive industry, sewing oil don't give me problem for the past few year.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

According to people "in the know", what you want for one-ways is automatic transmission fluid for 1:1 cars. HTH
Old 05-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia
Usually the product in rc packing price will raise up a lot, but it wil be the same product that you can find in hardware or automotive industry, sewing oil don't give me problem for the past few year.
I have to agree with you on the raise in prices just because its for the RC world.

Originally Posted by heretic
According to people "in the know", what you want for one-ways is automatic transmission fluid for 1:1 cars. HTH
wow automatic transmission fluid.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia
Very true but on the other hand a tiny bottle for a few bucks with which you can do at least a whole year is no cost to think about compared with what people in total can spend on this hobby.

But I was told that oneway oil is actually turbine oil.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I used to use ATF on oneways for years without issue. Now I use xceed oneway fluid.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The price sky rockets if it has Hudy sticker on it, LOL

I been using and testing all the Xceed line of oils, one way(yellow) , high pressure (blue) and thrust (red) . I also use the Xceed diff oils. I have been extremely happy so far, not one bearing failure yet.

And on a side note some one ways prefer one way grease over oil and vise versa.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:45 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Very true but on the other hand a tiny bottle for a few bucks with which you can do at least a whole year is no cost to think about compared with what people in total can spend on this hobby.

But I was told that oneway oil is actually turbine oil.
I seem to recall Ron Paris recommending mineral oil. in the mid-late '90's serpent introduced a one-way oil (looks and smells like mineral oil), I think the issue with bearing failure was that the plastic retainer would swell with some oils, causing the bearing to slip instead of engaging.

regarding value, I expect that $6 bottle to last more than my lifetime. to me the cost is if you buy the wrong thing and need to get another. although even 2 bottles of RC specific lube is still cheaper than replacing failed one-ways.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Any automobile automatic trans cruising the roadways are loaded with sprag type bearings similar to the oneway clutch bearings in our RC cars. One of the primary functions in the formulation of automatic transmission fluid is proper lubrication and function of the sprag bearings in the transmission. Seeing as modern trans fluids are supporting sprag function in cars with substantially more loads than our RC cars, automatic trans fluid should be more than adequate and proper for the oneways in our RC cars. Dont let the multi color offerings from the various RC suppliers fool you......transmission fluid in its base form is a clear product with red dye added for identification purposes. Base oil suppliers will dye it whatever color you like your oneway oil to be.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

One-way bearings in model cars have been around for more than 25 Years, and the 'special' one-way oil for around 8.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
I seem to recall Ron Paris recommending mineral oil. in the mid-late '90's serpent introduced a one-way oil (looks and smells like mineral oil), I think the issue with bearing failure was that the plastic retainer would swell with some oils, causing the bearing to slip instead of engaging.

regarding value, I expect that $6 bottle to last more than my lifetime. to me the cost is if you buy the wrong thing and need to get another. although even 2 bottles of RC specific lube is still cheaper than replacing failed one-ways.
Hey Tony good info.

Originally Posted by JVStrat
Any automobile automatic trans cruising the roadways are loaded with sprag type bearings similar to the oneway clutch bearings in our RC cars. One of the primary functions in the formulation of automatic transmission fluid is proper lubrication and function of the sprag bearings in the transmission. Seeing as modern trans fluids are supporting sprag function in cars with substantially more loads than our RC cars, automatic trans fluid should be more than adequate and proper for the oneways in our RC cars. Dont let the multi color offerings from the various RC suppliers fool you......transmission fluid in its base form is a clear product with red dye added for identification purposes. Base oil suppliers will dye it whatever color you like your oneway oil to be.
Never thought about ATF for a RC one-way.

Originally Posted by JTeamtech
One-way bearings in model cars have been around for more than 25 Years, and the 'special' one-way oil for around 8.
I like that ........... "special"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.