Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck Sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default Stuck Sleeve

Hey everyone!! I have this engine wherein the sleeve is jammed in. A simple tie strap wont bring it out and I've tried pushing it out from the backplate opening. I've tried some other stuff like putting it over the stove and then I tried goin the other way by sticking it in the freezer but I may have done it wrong. So maybe you guys have a different approach to this? Id appreciate any ideas. thanks!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Genius
Hey everyone!! I have this engine wherein the sleeve is jammed in. A simple tie strap wont bring it out and I've tried pushing it out from the backplate opening. I've tried some other stuff like putting it over the stove and then I tried goin the other way by sticking it in the freezer but I may have done it wrong. So maybe you guys have a different approach to this? Id appreciate any ideas. thanks!
What motor is that? What is the reason sleeve got stock-conrod broken? or just want to take it out for maintenance? Does sleeve move a little bit or completely stack?
Edward
Old 10-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

Actually its an old engine of a friend and im just trying to revive it. Its a MAX .12 or .15 on road engine. I think he said that he put a drop of dura lube or something (I have no idea why) haha. Nothings broken I just want clean up the inside. The sleeve wont seem to budge, no movement at all.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Genius
Actually its an old engine of a friend and im just trying to revive it. Its a MAX .12 or .15 on road engine. I think he said that he put a drop of dura lube or something (I have no idea why) haha. Nothings broken I just want clean up the inside. The sleeve wont seem to budge, no movement at all.
Attach fly wheel to engine and tigh it as normal. Heat up engine to 280-290 F and put 3 tie wraps ( sometimes one doesn't work) and try to turn over by fly wheel with channellock pliers. Should go.
Edward
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I had the same problem a while back. End of story, I destroyed the engine by trying to force it out with a small metal pic, lol...but I learned something that will likely work.I had tried the zip tie method to no avail. They are simply too soft. So, I tried (with a different engine) using a plastic shock spacer. Put it on top of the piston and drop it to BDC, then slide it half way off the piston, so it just barely grabs the bottom of the sleeve, then simply turn the flywheel as you would with the zip tie method. This should work due to the harder and thicker plastic that the spacer is made of.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

put a flywheel on nice and tight....... soak the engine in WD40 overnight....heat the engine with a hairdryer.......use a LARGE ziptie

it will come out.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys thanks for the great tips! I finally got that stuborn sleeve out. I soaked it with WD-40, found a thicker piece of plastic, and I heated it up. what a great feeling to finally get that thing out of there. thanks guys!
Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Just be careful with WD-40. I have seen people who have soaked an engined in it. If your engine is modified it can remove the silicone in the crank. Otherwise your safe.

John