Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HB R8 1/8th official thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 8thracer
Id take issue with what you say about diffusers being illegal ? If you go through the 2015 BRCA construction rules there is nothing relating to under body/chassis in there that would exclude this. In fact in the wet all sorts of guards start appearing on chassis anyway and usually only questionable if the technical inspection deems them unsafe under ruling below.

1.1.2 The Designated Officials may disqualify any car that, in their opinion, would be a hazard to spectators or other cars.

Surely HB anyway would have already ensured these parts are of a material and size that wouldn't fall foul of all EFRA and IFMAR construction regs ?
yeah thats my thought as well.. why have that part if it has not been reviewed by the racing bodies as mentioned..
Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default diffuser ....

Correct me here if I'm out of date on this but I'm sure there was a rule in there somewhere about having any "Aerodynamic Devices??" On the car. Other than comes with the bodyshell. Is the rear wing.
Am I wrong here?
It may have wording like "Added aero' devices" I can't remember. As this is included in the kit. It could be argued that we haven't added it?! ..... It was included by the car manufacturer.
If I'm right on this rule being there at all. :-)

Regards
BM
Old 01-15-2015, 03:55 PM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
Correct me here if I'm out of date on this but I'm sure there was a rule in there somewhere about having any "Aerodynamic Devices??" On the car. Other than comes with the bodyshell. Is the rear wing.
Am I wrong here?
It may have wording like "Added aero' devices" I can't remember. As this is included in the kit. It could be argued that we haven't added it?! ..... It was included by the car manufacturer.
If I'm right on this rule being there at all. :-)

Regards
BM
I remember seeing a rule banning under body aerodynamic devices a few years ago but I just had a look at the current IFMAR rules and can't see it mentioned anywhere.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

The question really we should be asking is does a diffuser have any noticeable positive effects on an 1/8 circuit car ? Its something that perhaps we wont know until people buy the kit and start doing back to back tests with the part fitted and then taken off. If it is an improvement and proved legal then for sure it will start appearing on other makes, If its just a gimmick that achieves little in real world then I guess most will be running without it anyway. Its like carbon inner wheel discs that have appeared on other makes which also supposedly are an aerodynamic aid ? but I cant tell any difference in performance with or without them ? .
Old 01-17-2015, 01:14 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by occ
I remember seeing a rule banning under body aerodynamic devices a few years ago but I just had a look at the current IFMAR rules and can't see it mentioned anywhere.
I have looked into it as well and could not find it and indeed it was a rule in the past. I also remember the 235 class that Serpent had a simple lexan difuser kit for their Impact

Originally Posted by 8thracer
The question really we should be asking is does a diffuser have any noticeable positive effects on an 1/8 circuit car ? Its something that perhaps we wont know until people buy the kit and start doing back to back tests with the part fitted and then taken off. If it is an improvement and proved legal then for sure it will start appearing on other makes, If its just a gimmick that achieves little in real world then I guess most will be running without it anyway. Its like carbon inner wheel discs that have appeared on other makes which also supposedly are an aerodynamic aid ? but I cant tell any difference in performance with or without them ? .
I have runned a MRX4 with a full size chassis undertray with only holes for the tires and the flywheel. The car was glued to the track! The whole setup had to be changed to get it right.
Yes, I do think that such a difuser can add something to the performance.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

though Adrien Bertin is not using it!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

I have runned a MRX4 with a full size chassis undertray with only holes for the tires and the flywheel. The car was glued to the track! The whole setup had to be changed to get it right.
Yes, I do think that such a difuser can add something to the performance.
What you are saying here is the key to whether a diffuser will work on a 1/8 scale car or not. A quick peak at just about any full size race car using a diffuser will most likely reveal a smooth belly pan the full length of the car. I feel, unless you duplicate the same thing on a 1/8 car, the diffuser for the most part is just along for the ride.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Back to the subject at hand, when is a US distributor going to pick this car up? Looking to update from my Mugen MRX4R and this is one of cars I am considering.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by occ
Yes, Ifmar banned any ground effect device, but HB claims it a rear bumper
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The split radio deck to lower the CoG is clever, makes the top deck and tank as low as an RX8/C802 but keeps the weight down the centre line as good as possible using the lay down servos like the Velox V8 and MRX-5 etc. and they've stuck with the receiver battery (a heavy component) down the centre line under the tank too, which makes the most sense.

Quite possibly the best packaging layout of any car I've seen on the market. Can't understand their decision to shy away from a front wire anti roll bar option though? Maybe this will come as an update.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Anymore news on this? Wanting to pick one up as well. Talked to Tower Hobbies and they said they don't see any plans on having it at this time, but I doubt the person on the phone would really know. Would buy one from overseas, but international shipping is pretty much deferring me from getting one.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:06 PM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R10 Rob
Anymore news on this? Wanting to pick one up as well. Talked to Tower Hobbies and they said they don't see any plans on having it at this time, but I doubt the person on the phone would really know. Would buy one from overseas, but international shipping is pretty much deferring me from getting one.
It seems France is the only country you can buy the car from. I spoke to A-main recently and they will not sell it.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

So the only way to get one is to purchase from overseas? WTH? Why market it on the US site then?

I have noticed recently that HPI doesn't like to release stuff in the US. Currently the mini baja, new Ken Block rally car and its new wheels, accessories, and now the R8. I just do not understand the logic behind having it on their US website, but not sell them here.

Last edited by R10 Rob; 03-15-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up HB Racing R8 1/8 IC Onroad Car New Thread

Hey there guys I thought that I had to start this thread because I've just about finished building the HB Racing's R8 ic onroad car kit.

I've actually made a photo diary of the build and I'll post the photo's on here for everyone to see the quality parts and materials used in the kit off the shelf stock standard; Absolutely beautiful piece of Engineering, the build has been fantastic with only a couple of small manufacturing issues that you get with most kits.

So guys I would like to hear from anyone else that has built and races the
HB R8, it would be good to know how to tweak it and tune it to get the best out of the car; After I finish building the car I will of course be racing it and I plan on sharing any and all the little things I learn along the way and also any anomalies that I come across that need to be shared with R8 drivers on here or plan on racing the HB racing R8.

So anyway I will start adding the build photos that I have to date.
Attached Thumbnails HB R8 1/8th official thread-dscf0945.jpg   HB R8 1/8th official thread-dscf0971.jpg   HB R8 1/8th official thread-dscf0974.jpg   HB R8 1/8th official thread-dscf0976.jpg   HB R8 1/8th official thread-dscf0977.jpg  

Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Tech Lord

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...al-thread.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.