Wiki Posts
Search

The lipo in bump box debate

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default The lipo in bump box debate

Hey guys! My dad is having an issue with his bump box in the fact that with gel cell battery it doesnt have the power to turn over his motor. He is running a Losi 454 engine in his onroad ofna. It has only 1 season on it and so it is still a pretty tight motor. The guys at the track are all older and think that the torque needed to turn that motor over in a bump box would burn up a lipo so they are suggesting to my dad that he run 2 NiMH 7 cell batteries in his bump box instead of a 4s lipo. I already have the 4s lipo and just want to wire it up for him so he can get his motor started easier but he is totally against it because of the guys at the track. What do u guys think?

Thanks!
Kyle

Last edited by brothainchrist0; 08-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ridicules!!! Put lipos in that thing and let it rip!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1966ss
Ridicules!!! Put lipos in that thing and let it rip!!!
Thats exactly what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in the wrong either.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brothainchrist0
Thats exactly what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in the wrong either.
no it not wrong but i would really pre heat the motor first.i have a DC comp heater that i run of my box.that has a gel cell also.my box is a dual motor box. lips would be just as good but get a voltage alarm in it.i just never switch over mine cause i don't have a problem with it but i'm going to put a 4s to start my cars and a3s for the Como heater.look up bumb box show case there is a good pix of how to set up a curio box in thr thread. second thing you can say is the box will be a lot lighter after taking a diet
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just a suggestion, but I use a 12V Car Booster (The type for when your full sized car dies).

Its 12V, can crankout 40+ amps, and works well with a tire truer too. You can normally pick them up on sale $20-30.

Shawn.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks a lot guys for the input! I think we will try this lipo out and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Those bump boost boxes only have a normal gel style battery so might as well stick with the one in the bump box...
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

forget that. rip the gel cell out and replace it with a 3/4 s lipo. lighter box with more power all the time. I have an old ofna box with built in glow driver i might convert. need to put a variable resistor on the glow ignitor to bring the voltage down though.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I have both styles. I've got that old school Ofna "pink" box with the huge motor that's powered by a large gell cell. The whole contraption is heavy and I use it on my bench press but it has more than enough grunt to fire any old crusty nitro motor. Then I also have a smaller dual motor box with dual lipos that sounds like it's gonna explode every time I spool it up.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Tech Elite

haha, thanks guys! I will throw in that lipo and see how it does. thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by brothainchrist0
haha, thanks guys! I will throw in that lipo and see how it does. thanks!
Hopefully you won't have to tell us in the future that your Lipo Box turned your car/truck/or house into a '787'...........the caution here is that when you experience the severe 'stall current' on a Lipo, think 'short circuit'.

The Ofna 'chrome top' box with the 'direct drive' motor didn't have the torque for several of my GT motors. The large drive wheel gave up some torque advantage the 'belt drive' types with a smaller drive wheel had. I've tried beveling the chassis plate to get starter drivewheel access, made sure the motor mounts didn't hold the flywheel too far up in the chassis and made sure to use right diameter flywheel.

I've also got a box that has the ability to add the 'backup boost' that was mentioned. Proper pin lineup and 'engine preheat' for newer engines is always a good thing.

I vote 'NO' on the starter box 'Lipo'...........