Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rs4 2, temperary racer, what hopups?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

how much was shipping on the kit?
if the price is in brittish pounds it is 180 usd, but if the price is in euros then it is the 120 you said before..i guess that is the cause of the confusion maybe?
let me know how much it is after shipping and everything okay.

back to the rs4, no it doesnt have any hopups, my dad baught it new, broke it in, and when the pullstart broke he just put it in the closet and never drove it any. really all I was looking to do was find a motor that would fit over onto the r40 kit also and run for now, an FM rx to work with my mx-3s, and maybe a two speed, even though I'd have no use for that later on.

other than the motor and radio gear, I dont really want to spend any major cash on it, but just a few parts here and there to make it better for the track for now, and better for parkinlot bashing once I get the r40.

but if after shipping, that is still a good deal, I'll proably just order the r40 and leave this alone to play around with until the rs4 while I'm waiting to get it/put it together

any motor recomendations? something that will work on both cars?

thanks
pedro
Old 06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes that was it. I think someone else said oh that means its $120 converted and I kinda went on that and that it was EURO.

It is GBP and the price total w shipping in america was like $220. Well over what I would call a sale.

Also thats the highest Ive ever seen shipping charges in my entire life. I of course canceled the order.

But yeah if you need any info on the rs4-2. Ask away, ill check back on this thread.

Oh and Ill look elsewhere for R40 kits. I have contacted this one company and let them know of the incoming hara edition kits and advised them to liquidate. Simply for the fact that no one will buy the regular kits anymore.

Unless its a great deal, so hopefully they make the intelligent move. Ive seen this particular company do it before. So Ill let you know if it comes through. If anything if we can go around and get a few people to go in on the last r40 kits. Im sure we could find someone that would give us a good price....

Maybe.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

To get back to the engine question....

Any .12 engine will work on the rs4-2. Rear exhaust, side exhaust, pull start; it doesn't really matter. The car allows it all... However, the engine that came with my rs4-2 when I bought it had some weird kind of shaft. A standard (SG ?) shaft should fit though...

The R40 however is a different beast. If I recall correctly, the best fit is for a rear exhaust engine. Pull start engines are not supported, so a starter box is also required. (Once you have a starter box you'll never ever want to go back to pull starts)
Old 06-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

Its all about the driver. The RS4-2 platform can do just fine for somebody just starting out in racing. If you have the stock .15FE on it, my suggestion is to run that untill it dies. By the way, any replacement motor needs to have a threaded or standard shaft to work. The R40 comes with an adaptor that will let you use a standard shaft motor in place of an SG type that most motors use today. If you are looking to get a new motor, get an OS TZ or TR or an STS D3r. They are really good solid motors and the price is great. A rear exhaust motor will mean you need to gat a starter box, but you can use the motor in almost any car you get after that.

If you need a bit more speed, you can either get the 2 speed or start with a 15 tooth clutch bell. For many parking lot tracks it will be fine.

If you are still doubting the car, my son won the rookie nitro class with a box stock RS4-2. The only hop up was a new pipe and the 15 tooth clutch bell. Learning how to drive under pressure is the most importaint thing.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Rapid Roy have you seen the d3r motors first hand? I just got mine wondering what you think of them.

Also so the rs4-2 can run SG shaft motors? Is there anything you need to do to get it to fit?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Artifical,

I don't have any first hand experiance with the STS motors. I have heard good things about them though and they seem to have good support. Also, I just assumed that a standard crank version was available. That might not be the case. I should really research a bit before I post. You can get a SG crank motor into an earlier RS4, but you need different engine mounts and flywheel. Wolfpack sells a kit here http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/html...ar_mounts.html
It's much cheaper to just go get a standard crank. You can always use the adaptor if you want to use the same engine in the R40 later. My experiance has been that it will be time for a new engine when its time for a new car.