R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Jye
Tech Regular

Default Rs4 3

Anyone know if a rear exhaust engine works on this kit? I noticed hpi offers a optional header for the car and its a rear exhaust header. If so has anyone ever done this, which engine and pipe did you use?
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Tech Regular

i have seen many people change their engines on a RS4 to rear exhaust engines, but before getting a new engine consider the fact that you may have to upgrade some of the tranny parts to stronger ones cause you will be putting more stress on the car with a stronger engine. especially parts around the differential like the drive cups. Cause on the RS4 EVO they tend to snap HPI makes some rear exhaust engines that would fit the RS4
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Jye, you can transplant a rear exhaust engine into the RS4 3. To do this, you'll probably also be changing from a pullstart engine to a non-pullstart type. I don't know if you'll find a rear exhaust engine with pull start. The O.S. 12TR or the HPI 12XS are economical candidates for this swap. You need a standard shaft engine, not a pilot shaft. You'll probably want to use a slide valve style carb setup, instead of the rotary that comes with the kit. Here's what you need to do it right.

Engine
Rear exhaust system
Non-pullstart flywheel
Non-pullstart engine mounts
HPI slide valve throttle linkage kit
Starter box

The non-pullstart flywheel and engine mounts allow you to lower the engine 5mm, which will improve handling.
i300i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Jye
Tech Regular

ok thanks. and i3000i, do you know which chassis allows me to use a starter box with the rs4 3?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jye
ok thanks. and i3000i, do you know which chassis allows me to use a starter box with the rs4 3?
I used the standard HPI chassis with an OFNA 10243 starter box. Haven't tried any other chassis with the RS4 3. I bought that starter box because it works well for both the RS4 3 and the Nitro TC3.
i300i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Jye
Tech Regular

ok.one more thing, about exhaust, you needed to hpi optional header for the rs4 3 like this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAZ8&P=7 . and also which pipe did you use, or can i find any right side exhuast pipe. i see os has one.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 AM   #7
Tech Regular

how about a pipe for the kyosho fw-o5, that chasis set-up is very close to the rs4 3.
owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
Jye
Tech Regular

I looked for a setup on the hpi site, and they have a sg shaft novarossi as the engine. Also the have a wolfpack radicals transmisson. Has anyone ever tried using the wolfpack radical shaft 2 speed with a threaded or sg shaft rear exhuast engine on the rs4 3?