Community
Wiki Posts
Search

fail safe.. is it really worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default fail safe.. is it really worth it ?

just wanted some info on fail safes

trying to set my gws fail safe on my fw-05r however i cant get it to hold the throttle closed without putting so much force on the servo.

any ideas on that ?

thanks
Jhn
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Get an electronic one.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the small ofna failsafe (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYG2&P=ML)

And YES, IT REALLY WORTH ... on my truck last weekend during the race i was receiving a small interference on a hi-speed turn at every lap, and fortunately just when the car wanted to turn crazy the failsafe activated it self in every turn and aplied some brakes on my, after 1/2 second i had the control again ... so for me its great ...

Here its a pic of it :

Old 04-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: fail safe.. is it really worth it ?

Originally posted by mrgsr
just wanted some info on fail safes

trying to set my gws fail safe on my fw-05r however i cant get it to hold the throttle closed without putting so much force on the servo.

any ideas on that ?

thanks
Jhn
Go get a $20 OFNA fail safe or that Vernom one....$20 is really nothing, but will safe your $500 plus car running on to the highway or onto a concrete wall.

Those throttle return springs are so 80s....not that it does not work, it only works with HIGH END throttle servos.....those $30 cheap servo are so hard to move and those springs are not strong enough to pull those cheap servo back to the brake position....

Also, the idea is to set the throttle servo to BRAKE position when something happen, not just to the close/idle position, you want the car to BRAKE when something happen, not just slide...
Old 04-18-2005, 08:34 PM

I've always used PCM on my radio with built in failsafe, now I use the new Spektrum system with failsafe built in. I never thought the add on was worth the weight and trouble mounting. I guess with the lesser radio systems it could be of some help. Just remember no failsafe works if you loose batt voltage.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

The ko propo Fail safe work great. It stop your car if the reciever pack voltage hit 5.0v. The bad thing about fail safe is if it activate at the long straight it and be dangerous too.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If you don't want the failsafe to totally crunch the brakes on, just limit your brake epa down until it's where you want it, then setup the failsafe. Then you can move the epa to the normal setting.

I'd rather spend 25 bux on a failsafe than buy the whole front end of my cars or a motor.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default Problem with electronic failsafes .......

is that they only work when the battery is hooked up and charged. Lets say the battery gets disconnected or the switch comes loose and turns off the radio - then you are screwed so you need electronic and the ol spring thing.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Exactly the reason I run a failsafe AND throttle return spring. No such thing as to overcautious when driving a toy car that you've got near a grand into!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Had a KO fail-safe installed about a week ago.
Was playing at a local track 2 days ago when rx batt voltage dropped. Failsafe kicked in...
Worth the money I'd say...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Although my last race I was using a failsafe and a return spring and still had a runaway!! The throttle servo went out, but locked in full open position. A guy caught it and shut it down luckily. Anyhow after taking the servo out, putting a horn on it thing still wouldn't turn. It was completely locked. Don't ask what kinda servo...I was testing a new kind for kicks. And yes you get what ya pay for. Airtronics and Futaba for me please and thank-you!!
Just saying there are instances where they won't work. But I wouldn't run a nitro without one!

Last edited by jbrow1; 04-21-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

After spending $120 dollars on the front end of one of my first nitro cars. I put one on every nitro car I have. Never had a runaway again. Ofna, KO, Venom they all work and are worth the money, nice little $25 insurance policy. I'm sure there are plenty of instances that an electronic failsafe won't work. So what, because there are plenty when they do work and work well.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by jbrow1
If you don't want the failsafe to totally crunch the brakes on, just limit your brake epa down until it's where you want it, then setup the failsafe. Then you can move the epa to the normal setting.

I'd rather spend 25 bux on a failsafe than buy the whole front end of my cars or a motor.
You forgot about the average $75 a piece chassis.............
Old 04-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

There are no such thing is 100% GARANTEE run away free device.
If you batteries suddenly cutted out, the plug competely off, your throttle servo burned, your throttle linkage suddenly locked into the WOT position........NO failsafe can save you.

Everyone should spend an hour or so to check all the electronics and servo condition, a day or so before SUNDAY race..........I've been doing that for a long time (almost 20 years).....back then, there is no such thing is FAILSAFE.........just throttle return springs or plumbing O-rings.........but I have never had 1 run away in my life.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

you can buy a bag of fail safe at a dollar store for buck they called rubber band been using it for almost 6 years and its cheap and lite wite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.