Wiki Posts
Search

need help chosing tire truer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default need help chosing tire truer

Im in the market for a tire trurer. I dont want to spent 450.00 on the hudy one. Anyone have any suggestions? I dont want a pos one but dont need the best either. If it matters Im running sedan
Old 03-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

I got this one from Ofna in 1999 and it was already 2 years old. Used it heavily and it never let me down.
With the Hudy carbide cutting bit it's working awesome.
The motor is a mule and will cut anything you throw at it.
The same truer is available from Corally, but I suppose it's more expensive...

The Ofna is $ 239 at nitrohouse: http://www.nitrohouse.com/tire_truer_parts.htm

Old 03-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

buy this one. i was in the same boat as you, i wanted a hudy but i can't see spending that much money. after talking to numerous people this is the truer everyone said to get. buy from kamikaze and sam will hook you up.

http://www.kamikazercracing.com/prod...php?prod=20002

also like the above post, you can use the hudy carbide cutter.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

I can vouch for the ofna manual tire truer. A very good truer.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I have this truer ofna manual and am extremley happy with it 10out10 got it from kamikaze Sam.
cheers
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Tire Truer

I have both, the Ofna, and the Hudy. I have had the Ofna for about 3 years now, and it worked great. I did change out the motor, but that was only because of the on-going use. Then I got a great deal on the Hudy. The Hudy does cut quite a bit faster, and overall smoother operation, but the Ofna still works great. If I had to but my first one again, it would be the Ofna. Even though the Hudy does cut faster, and smoother, for the price difference, I would go Ofna
Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The Ofna truer is a good truer. You could also get just the Hudy blade and it will cut just like a Hudy and you will still come out cheaper. Alot of the guys I race with have them and they work well. Integy makes a auto truer that is even less $$s than the Ofna but it is a good bit slower. I like the rest of the other posts, would recommend the Ofna if you don't want to spend the $$$s for the Hudy.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The problem I had with the ofna truer was that the bit motors died on me. That also happened to a few other people that I know. I actually gave my truer to someone here on the site for the cost of shipping I was so pissed with it. Turned around picked up a hudy after my second ofna burned out and I have never looked back at the purchase.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

I also have the OFNA Manual true'r and would buy it again served me well all of last season never had any issue with it the cut was fine and with enough amps behind it it can cut just about any foam tire you can fit on the arbor. I mainly run it off a 7AH gel cell like you find in most starter boxes runs strong all day long.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you go Ofna manual or auto the Hudy carbide cutter is a must #10 2067. I would also recommend the Hudy arbor's. The cut is acceptable. I would replace all wiring that leads or feeds the spindle motor with the stuff that the electric guys use for batteries to esc? to motor. This will provide a significant increase in grunt especially when cutting 1/8th rears.
Hudy fully automatic, what can I say...Ferrari's are expensive for a reason(and so is what is usually in the passengers seat).
Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

what about the team magic or hard trurer? How is that one
Old 03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

another question, Im new to all of this, Does these trures, for example, say I want to cut the rears to 60mm, how do I know where 60mm will be at, is there a digital read out that I set to where I want to cut or do you have to use calipers
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The Ofna auto is marked on the tool holder in 2.5 mm increments. With the Hudy cutter it cuts 35 shore 1/8 tires 2.0 mm smaller than what the scale reads. I use the scale to get close(rough in the diameter) then from there use calipers to achieve my desired O.D.
The Hudy scale is Very acurate. If you want to be dead on you will still want to check with calipers(you will be checking alot less).
They are both scaled if you want to cut camber into the tires...
Old 03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ofna Manual tire truer has got my vote. I got mine on ebay and its worked great! Blade on it was still new so no need to replace it. Ill be getting the Hudy Carbide blade once the one on there now wears out.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
The Ofna auto is marked on the tool holder in 2.5 mm increments. With the Hudy cutter it cuts 35 shore 1/8 tires 2.0 mm smaller than what the scale reads. I use the scale to get close(rough in the diameter) then from there use calipers to achieve my desired O.D.
The Hudy scale is Very acurate. If you want to be dead on you will still want to check with calipers(you will be checking alot less).
They are both scaled if you want to cut camber into the tires...
I milled my tool arbor down by 2mm; now my Ofna auto truer cuts within .1 mm of the dial scale using a hudy bit. I also labeled my knob adjustment in .1mm increments. Mine is truly good as a hudy but not a real hudy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.