Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CVD versus Dog Bones

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default CVD versus Dog Bones

Is there a difference? Some say you get more steering with CVD's. But how? Both do the same thing. Your not changing wheel speed. I have always run CVDs because that was the thing to run. But does it really make a difference?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

I never found much of a steering difference. I did it for smoother acceleration/braking and durability.

The main benefit I found from CVDs was less drivetrain lash when accelerating or braking. This reduced diff outdrive wear and eleminated axle wear since the axle and drive bone were now "tied" together. Sometimes the CVD bones would need replacing but this was not a common occurance compared to how often I'd need to replace dogbones or axles.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Lord

I know with the NT1 running a solid shaft at the front the CVD's dir break, switching to dogbones the problem was solved.

I think the CVD will stay more on its place causing less vibrations compared to dogbones and that is giving a better grip on the wheel.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Pulling up a thread from a couple years ago:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...-cvd-type.html
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Forget cvds and dog bones! They should be reserved for infant toys(radioshack... etc..)! What you guys need are xray ecs drive or losi lcd drives in the front of your cars!!! Cvds and dogbones for the rear end only...Why you need ecs type drives in the front: chatter etc.....
Old 07-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Mebe if the dogbones have more slop then the car will have to turn a few degrees more before the rear end becomes solid. Acting as a gear diff until the slop is gone.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sheeley
Mebe if the dogbones have more slop then the car will have to turn a few degrees more before the rear end becomes solid. Acting as a gear diff until the slop is gone.
Hell i like slop i need slop......sorry got of topic
Old 07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Rice
Is there a difference? Some say you get more steering with CVD's. But how? Both do the same thing. Your not changing wheel speed. I have always run CVDs because that was the thing to run. But does it really make a difference?
Nobody mentioned the reduced chance of having a dog bone release event when using CVDs. This was my main reason for using CVDs.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sheeley
I think this isnt the case, because as the pins on rear dogbones wear out there would be more play and the car becomes very twitchy.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

why not try running both setups. then you will know which you like
Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

From a theoretical standpoint, what we call CVDs and dogbones are the exact same thing. I do think CVDs operate a bit more smoothly with less vibration so they may have a slight edge. The main advantage is that they don't pop out.

To really see any major gains, we would need a true CVD. Something like we are seeing on the electric TCs. I'm sure it won't be long before someone makes a DCJ (Double Cardin Joint) for nitros.

Read these wiki articles to learn more on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constan...#Double_Cardan
Old 07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by musti72
I think this isnt the case, because as the pins on rear dogbones wear out there would be more play and the car becomes very twitchy.
Well I thought it sounded like a good theory lol.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't think they need to come out with a specific DCJ for nitro! Many electric dcj's fit the 1/10 nitros, but for 8scale, a little experimenting with losi lcds is necessary...
Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I don't think they need to come out with a specific DCJ for nitro! Many electric dcj's fit the 1/10 nitros, but for 8scale, a little experimenting with losi lcds is necessary...
While I have never seen them in person, I doubt a Losi LCD will fit ANY 1/8th onroad car.

Electric TC ones will probably not be tough enough for nitro, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Whilst I was working for Litemodz a prototype set of their CVS's were manufactured for my NT1. They work really well. No chatter, and it improved the steering massively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.