R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Foam Tire Prices (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/504846-foam-tire-prices.html)

Phil Trotta 04-19-2011 07:08 AM

Foam Tire Prices

Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.

Bishop 04-19-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER (Post 8986089)
Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.

Look around before bagging the manufacturers, I'm not seeing the prices your complaining about where I shop...

stefan 04-19-2011 07:26 AM

I think this is mostly due to the weak Dollar.

Tire prices actually went down quite a bit over here last year, at least for sedan foams.

The engine prices are that high, because we are willing to pay.
I get really angry when I compare the prices of on road engines to off road engines.

There's simply no difference in technology between the two that would justify the price differences.

They come off the same CNC machines and are made of the same materials.

lil-bump 04-19-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by stefan (Post 8986169)
I think this is mostly due to the weak Dollar.

Tire prices actually went down quite a bit over here last year, at least for sedan foams.

The engine prices are that high, because we are willing to pay.
I get really angry when I compare the prices of on road engines to off road engines.

There's simply no difference in technology between the two that would justify the price differences.

They come off the same CNC machines and are made of the same materials.

The only difference between onroad and offroad engines. The manufactures put alot more RD into onroad engines trying to get every bit of performance out of the engine. We ask alot more performance out of an onroad engine when you consider run time, torque and speed. The manufacturers are just trying to re-coupe there engineering time.

But I agree; the cost of onroad engines is ridiculous. That is one of the main reasons I will not switch to 1/8 onroad. IMO...

Pass you soon...

nitrodude 04-19-2011 08:13 AM

You dont remember the days when a set of SEDAN tires were $30? These days sedan tires can be had for less than $20. I wasnt racing 1/8th back then, but there was a time when tires were about $50 a set. The tires you talk about are a bit more expensive because there has been advances in materials, the new tires with carbon in the plastic are going to cost more simply because a material(carbon) has to be added.

I actually think its less expensive to race now, than it was 3 years ago.

J.Gonzalez 04-19-2011 09:18 AM

As most of tires and engines are coming from/made in Europe and Asia. Dont expect prices to go down any time soon.

Pretty soon the dollar will be worth as much the peso!

Just check out 5 year trend of euro and yen versus dollar. Dont need a degree in economics to see that rc racing is going to continue to get more expensive.

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...:USDEUR&ntsp=0

Onroad vs Offroad prices has more to do with volume and what market will tolerate.

Good luck selling a 700$ offroad engine but I bet you could sell a 2000$ onroad engine.

YmeBP 04-19-2011 09:41 AM

+1 I see the same thing. Also don't forget offroad buggy tires are NOT cheap, a set of good tires will run you 50$ easy and are good for 1 to 2 weekends from what I understand.

We demand performance, that costs money to engineer.

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez (Post 8986674)
As most of tires and engines are coming from/made in Europe and Asia. Dont expect prices to go down any time soon.

Pretty soon the dollar will be worth as much the peso!

Just check out 5 year trend of euro and yen versus dollar. Dont need a degree in economics to see that rc racing is going to continue to get more expensive.

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...:USDEUR&ntsp=0

Onroad vs Offroad prices has more to do with volume and what market will tolerate.

Good luck selling a 700$ offroad engine but I bet you could sell a 2000$ onroad engine.

Pooh2 04-19-2011 09:48 AM

I agree with Jamie.

Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the what some guys post. They really have no idea what they are talking about!!! Tires are cheaper now than 5 years ago.

The dollar is weak and will get weaker if Obama does not change they way he thinks. RC, like everything else will cost more in the future.

nitrodude 04-19-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pooh2 (Post 8986793)
I agree with Jamie.

Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the what some guys post. They really have no idea what they are talking about!!! Tires are cheaper now than 5 years ago.

The dollar is weak and will get weaker if Obama does not change they way he thinks. RC, like everything else will cost more in the future.

:nod::nod:

ralphierace13 04-19-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by lil-bump (Post 8986260)
The only difference between onroad and offroad engines. The manufactures put alot more RD into onroad engines trying to get every bit of performance out of the engine. We ask alot more performance out of an onroad engine when you consider run time, torque and speed. The manufacturers are just trying to re-coupe there engineering time.

But I agree; the cost of onroad engines is ridiculous. That is one of the main reasons I will not switch to 1/8 onroad. IMO...

Pass you soon...

dont know bout u, but i dont see any r&d todays motors are not any faster then the jp's and carlsens of years ago and i only see run time getting worse, i think todays clutches made these motors faster if they got faster and the banging clutches also kill the run time so they didnt spend on r&d, i agree no diff with the offroad motor, im running a tero nero team edition mod for onroad and its whooping ass all over!!!

ralphierace13 04-19-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pooh2 (Post 8986793)
I agree with Jamie.

pooh u probaly dont spend much on tires judging on your lap times of late, dont think u go fast enuff to were a set out!! lol

Pooh2 04-19-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ralphierace13 (Post 8986960)
pooh u probaly dont spend much on tires judging on your lap times of late, dont think u go fast enuff to were a set out!! lol

Okay.:)

Phil Trotta 04-19-2011 10:43 AM

Last season. Grp was 2 to 3 bucks cheaper. As were jaco / exceed. All the new tires with the hybrid carbon rim are great but not cheap. When you run every weekend. Not bashing. And not starting a rally against anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed.

Pooh2 04-19-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER (Post 8987056)
Last season. Grp was 2 to 3 bucks cheaper. As were jaco / exceed. All the new tires with the hybrid carbon rim are great but not cheap. When you run every weekend. Not bashing. And not starting a rally against anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed.

Hey Jack,

It could be where you are shopping. Tires are cheaper if you shop around for better prices you WILL find cheaper tires. Most GOOD hobby stores have tires and good prices. Hope this helps!

Phil Trotta 04-19-2011 10:54 AM