Wiki Posts
Search

DM-1 Steering Servo keeps failing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default DM-1 Steering Servo keeps failing

OK, I am a bit stumped here. My throttle servo keeps failing on my DM-1 spec, and I am not sure why. I think I just fried my 3rd Hitec servo on it. I have been using these servos (both these exact servos and ones similar) forever in 1/8 buggies an other abusive situations, and never had a failure, and now I have killed 3. They simply stop working. No impacts, just don't work. They get extremely bound up, as if there was something in them that was gummig up the works. I have taken one appart to try to figure it out, and honestly, just not sure. Any suggestions here? I have the stock lay-down setup, and was wondering if I need to go stand-up. I don't want to go on a wild goose hunt and spend a bunch of money on things that are cool, but don't fix the fundamental problem.

Fried servos - Hitec 625, 645, 605.

EDIT - I put my steering servo, which would make more sense, but it is my throttle servo. Sorry ...

Last edited by qjmcrae; 03-22-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

More than likely you have a bind in the steering linkage somewhere putting an above normal load on the servo. Try the stand up position and make sure the steering is free.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get a Hitec 7955... it wont matter what is wrong with your throttle ...these servos are indestructible

Last edited by CFowler; 03-23-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
More than likely you have a bind in the steering linkage somewhere putting an above normal load on the servo. Try the stand up position and make sure the steering is free.
I mispoke - it is my throttle servo that I meant to say. Does this change your thoughts? It is a pretty simple system, but it does seem to get to some pretty extreme angles, which may cause problems. Anyway, curious if you would still vote for the same cause.

For what it's worth, before it fails they seem to have done similar things, in that it almost acts like my ABS is set, in that it pulsates back and forth like it would with ABS. I have used this with multiple radios and multiple receivers, and I don't even think my DX3s has ABS, and it does it in forward as well as reverse, so I can safely say it is not that, but it acts similar. Just a clue if it makes sense to anyone.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i run a hi torque servo.....the DM-1 is a bit heavy ....also check ya end points & you know Hitech have a 2 year warranty which is good
Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default DM1

The DM 1 has small bearings that the top small plate fits into.
There should be one at each end of the small plate.
Check to see if you have these in place, and that they are seated completely.
One actually works for the brake throw, which basically is the opposite of the the throttle throw.
Also make sure the throttle linkage is perpindicular <level> to the carb, and is not slanted, also that the throttle linkage is pulling straight. This could also cause it to bind. Excuse the spelling, never was good with the ol book learning.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

i use a dx3r all i can say make sure that if does servos are digital or analog, your remote might have to be set to the proper frame rate. mine has an option in the menu called frame rate. it tells you that if u are using a digital servo to put at frame rate 5.5ms and i would assume that there are not digital then you can use 11ms or 16ms. it had to my friend he had digital servos and he never changed the setting so they eventually burned up. check to see if the dx3s has this option. hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dasmurf93
i use a dx3r all i can say make sure that if does servos are digital or analog, your remote might have to be set to the proper frame rate. mine has an option in the menu called frame rate. it tells you that if u are using a digital servo to put at frame rate 5.5ms and i would assume that there are not digital then you can use 11ms or 16ms. it had to my friend he had digital servos and he never changed the setting so they eventually burned up. check to see if the dx3s has this option. hope this helps.
I think you may be on the right track about his situation.
For one thing, Hi-tech or not, I would ditch the analog
servos. I have seen then do some strange things when
used with 2.4 radio systems, even when the radios signal
is set in the proper mode.