Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team magic G4 wheel off set help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Team magic G4 wheel off set help

Hi guys im new to the rc nitro world. i have a team magic g4 and have a 200mm body. i am wanting to change the wheels but am confused about the offset? anyone know whats the max and mini offset i can run? at the moment my wheels are 26mm wide @ front wheels (from out side face of wheel to hex is approx 5mm leaving 21mm from chasis side of wheel to hex. is this poitive or negavtive offset?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vang
Hi guys im new to the rc nitro world. i have a team magic g4 and have a 200mm body. i am wanting to change the wheels but am confused about the offset? anyone know whats the max and mini offset i can run? at the moment my wheels are 26mm wide @ front wheels (from out side face of wheel to hex is approx 5mm leaving 21mm from chasis side of wheel to hex. is this poitive or negavtive offset?
offset wheels change the rollcenter of that end of the car, if the track width is kept the same. Once you start fine tuning your car to a track, then you can fine tune the roll center through using offset wheels.
As far as Ive seen, you can get -1 offset (rims are closer to the chassis center) up to +3 offset (rims sit further from the chassis)
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Ohh, and it doesnt only apply to Team Magic cars, goes for all cars.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Cheers thanks for that. But any idea what kinda offset my wheel are at the moment as per above? are these + or - offset? or any idea what th max is i can run without the wheel rubing on the body or chasis?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

What kind of wheels and tires are they?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

um they are GRP ARROWS WHEELS AND TYRES (NVX06E) GRPGANDINI.COM
Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

BASED ON THE DIMENSIONS ABOVE ARE THESE +8 OFFSET OR -8?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vang
um they are GRP ARROWS WHEELS AND TYRES (NVX06E) GRPGANDINI.COM
Those are standard offset (about 1-2mm negative) tires for the rear. Those will fit the G4 rear with no problems.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
offset wheels change the rollcenter of that end of the car, if the track width is kept the same. Once you start fine tuning your car to a track, then you can fine tune the roll center through using offset wheels.
As far as Ive seen, you can get -1 offset (rims are closer to the chassis center) up to +3 offset (rims sit further from the chassis)
Sorry to inform you, but if you reduce your offsets your wheelnuts will protrude and fail the scrutiny. This may be why Shepherds and other cars have the wheel "bolts" not nuts as you then dont have to get the dremel out and start grinding the threads

The best solution for Team magics Ive found to date are wheels +.5mm-+.8mm, otherwise you will have to buy different hex hubs. I did use offsets to get a feel for how track widths impact the car handling.

You will find that you may also have to cut down our balls on your arms to allow to narrow the track width

This also depends on the CV joints and the pin positions as you may be pushing your dog bone into the outdrives and seizing suspension

Since using capricorn all my problems have been solved. I used matrix and strugled to get under 200mm on the rear.

Last point, I measure various wheels from various mfg and none maintained a similar offset ration front and rear, so you might mix and match.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blis
Sorry to inform you, but if you reduce your offsets your wheelnuts will protrude and fail the scrutiny.
Well, Im just stating that I have found wheels that sat inside the chassis, but I didnt check if the wheelnuts protruded or not - I think they were Jaco's that I noticed them in.