Wiki Posts
Search

MOTONICA P81RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys,

a new question.

I built the RS with the short wheelbase as shown in the setup sheet on the Motonica website.
In the front it's all good, but in the rear, it took quite a few mods.

I had to shave the rear upper arms, so the wouldn't touch the rear swaybar and I also had to flip the H-arms for the rear body mount to also clear the swaybar.

How are you doing this?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

yes it comes close to the upper Arm. But the adjustable anti roll bar fits perfectly.

I tested mine last week using almost the same set up found on the motonica site. Very good steering but not enough traction. What kind of set up are you running?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran the standard P81 with short wheelbase front and rear. I changed to short in the front and long in the rear and for me the car got better. It loosened the rear and the car rotated just a bit more in tight corners.
To run the rear short, yes, you need to grind a little on the upper arms, a small amount on the front of the right rear lower arm (to ensure the spur gear does not rub when the suspension compresses, and cut about 2mm off the stock sway bar. Do not flip the h arms.
Our tracks are typically very high bite with tight corners. When I say high bite, I have run up to rear 45 and front 40 shore tires, and normally 40 shore rear with 37 shore front.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Got my RS yesterday - Thanks Garen !!!

Very busy building
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have been checking out this motonica p81rs an it has me drooling, my lhs can get me one but is a little leery of part support. judging by this thread that doesnt seem to be a problem. i want the gt body but was wondering if the kyosho ferrari gt body will fit ? does anyone know if it does?also what do you think of the os spec engine? i almost ordered the serpent 966 today but after reading this thread i still want the p81rs. any input will be greatfully appreciated,thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by beaven
i have been checking out this motonica p81rs an it has me drooling, my lhs can get me one but is a little leery of part support. judging by this thread that doesnt seem to be a problem. i want the gt body but was wondering if the kyosho ferrari gt body will fit ? does anyone know if it does?also what do you think of the os spec engine? i almost ordered the serpent 966 today but after reading this thread i still want the p81rs. any input will be greatfully appreciated,thanks
Hey there, you wnt be sorry with motonica products. The car is super strong and has a great importer and service. Garen Hogobian is the guy at motonica USA and he will take good care of ya.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Beaven, parts are in stock and your LHS can order them with no issues. The Kyosho body will not fit, the width and wheelbase is different on the buggy based cars. I have not run the OS on road engines, but I know someone that does and his car is plenty fast. At our last race he finished right behind me in 3rd, so it does go well. The OS off road engines are smooth and fast, I can't imagine the on road ones would not be either.
You will be very happy with the RS. If you get one, be sure to ask us questions if you have any issues with the build or setup.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

my lhs is ordering my p81rs today or monday, i really want to do it as a gt, are the motonica body and posts available? if not i guess i will go with the wedge type but not without grumbling thanks for the input i am grateful,later
Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Yes, the Grand Turismo body and posts are in stock.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

great,when you talk to my LHS, Xtreme Hobbies, please tell him you have them and send them with the order. what tires/wheels can i use on this bad boy? thanks so much for your help....
Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

well my p81rs is on the way!!!! i cant wait, hope its a good build, although i cant see it being anything but that !!!! i just hooked up with a guy that runs at floyd bennett field on off days so i will get a taste of drivind on a real track, look out

Last edited by beaven; 02-14-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

another question or two, exhaust what size pipe,will a ofne jp 4 work or is that more for off road, and are there any on road gt tires available and what about wheels? thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by beaven
another question or two, exhaust what size pipe,will a ofne jp 4 work or is that more for off road, and are there any on road gt tires available and what about wheels? thanks
The OFNA JP-4 pipe is an off-road pipe.
This car is a 1/8 scale open car. (pan style) And uses foam tires.
The GT cars are Buggy Based.
Buggy Based/GT cars use offroad/buggy type wheels and tires.

Last edited by D Starks; 02-15-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

For tires and wheels, of course we suggest the Motonica brand, but you can use just about any other brand of tire, such as GRP, Xceed, Mugen, Jaco, etc. Off road or GT tires do not fit.

As far as the build goes, it is easy if you have built an on road 1/8th car before. I am building my car and hope to have it done very soon. I will post an assembly guide on motonica-usa.com (support page) and I highly recommend you print it out and have it handy when you build your car. It will save you a lot of time and ensure your car is built right the first time.

As far as header and pipe go, any of the on road combos will work. I run a BP Racing 935RTC (which Xtreme can order as well) with a Novarosi 2052 pipe and medium or long conical header. I will be testing and hopefully switching over to the BP header and pipe as soon as I get to test them.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

i want to thank you for your help,my lhs is ordering the 935 rtc engine and motonica tires. i built a xray nt1 so i shouldnt have any big probs with this bad boy.wasnt sure if they made street type threaded tires for these thats why i asked,should have known the gt cars are on a different platform as my buddy had a gt2,must have had a senior moment.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.