R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Funny engine noise - have I wrecked my new engine !? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/40130-funny-engine-noise-have-i-wrecked-my-new-engine.html)

gregor 05-08-2004 12:17 PM

Funny engine noise - have I wrecked my new engine !?

Hi there,

I have just purchased a Duratax Torq .16 engine , which has only been run a couple of times .

At first the engine would start , but then would die away . When I could run it for a few seconds it would rev waaaayy up , but go no where ! ?

Now , after inspecting the engine and reinstalling it , the engine makes a very very strange noise , as if a stone is stuck in the engine or exhaust and is pinging about (obviously there is not stone)

I cant get the engine to run right at all . My pullstart is also quite hard to pull , but the engine aint blocked !!!

If anyone knows of any sort of solution to the problem Id be very greatful!

Regards
Gregor

Marcos.J 05-08-2004 12:28 PM

Re: Funny engine noise - have I wrecked my new engine !?

Originally posted by gregor
Hi there,

I have just purchased a Duratax Torq .16 engine , which has only been run a couple of times .

At first the engine would start , but then would die away . When I could run it for a few seconds it would rev waaaayy up , but go no where ! ?

Now , after inspecting the engine and reinstalling it , the engine makes a very very strange noise , as if a stone is stuck in the engine or exhaust and is pinging about (obviously there is not stone)

I cant get the engine to run right at all . My pullstart is also quite hard to pull , but the engine aint blocked !!!

If anyone knows of any sort of solution to the problem Id be very greatful!

Regards
Gregor

how did you break it in?

gregor 05-08-2004 12:29 PM

I didnt , its halfway through break in from the last owner , only a couple of tanks through

jfc_tech 05-08-2004 09:02 PM

Originally posted by gregor
I didnt , its halfway through break in from the last owner , only a couple of tanks through
i understood u...thats why i hate buying second hand especially something important like an engine.
have u asked the previous owner to show it running B4 u bought it from him?

nitrous36 05-08-2004 09:13 PM

Does it have a tuned pipe? In some tuned pipes there is a cone shaped piece that can be inserted the wrong way.

FTSPEEDWAY 05-08-2004 09:25 PM

it sounds like the flywheels may be loose. That would cause the pinging noise and also make the engine not want to run right ir idle.

snemi00 05-09-2004 06:20 AM

I think the problem may be with your pull start assembly. You may not have put it back together properley.

gregor 05-09-2004 10:33 AM

Originally posted by snemi00
I think the problem may be with your pull start assembly. You may not have put it back together properley.
I never took it apart ?

What could the problem be with the pullstart ?