Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Serpent 966

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Guys....we all want to see this happen, but if you have some time, check out this thread on Rctech....there are at least 4-5 group of ppl testing the lipo/brushless motor onto their MUGEN KYOSHO and SERPENT for the past year......the 966e is nothing new at all. Basicly, these ppl already tested onto their MUGEN KYOSHO for the past year.....

The problem they all see is....batteries is not large/powerfull enough (current model)s to move a 1/8th ON ROAD car that will last more then 5-6 minutes with FULL RACE condition (comparing to the nitro on road with 2-speed)....do not even compare the OFF ROAD version to the on road, off road can last 20 minutes because it does not use full throttle on pathment all the time like On road...ON ROAD is a totally different thing and these guys blowing motors after motors, lipos after lipos, and still trying to find the best combination for these 1/8th on road conversion for a good 6-8 minutes FULL SPEED run (like a 5 minutes qualifier for nitro on road)...

These ppl also have big batteries support behind them (they are not using the $30 lipo, they won't work) with prototype MAH and high C Rating, Saddle packs or straight packs...etc. And they are still testing things out. You can also find videos of them in action....there are only a FEW of them does look promissing....and they are all running in 6S configuration with 2350kv or slower motor.

Thats why...I am wondering what kinda LIPO/Motor package that SERPENT is releasing or using to back up their research....apparently, 4S is really pushing it, for both the run time and performance wise...and running more then 6 minutes without blowing up the speedo or motor is really pushing it. Serpent DOES NOT sell the LIPO or MOTOR for this 966e. That means, owner has to buy what is available in the market. It might get the car to move, but for how long, and how fast...no one know.

GO thru the below link....you will find a lot of usefull information so you don't have to waste $$$$ for blowing up speedo, motor and lipo. (They did that all the time...). Also, within the thread, you will know there is no reason for CENTAX, no reason for 2-speed........MAY BE, you can keep the brake, but for on road...I think I will let the speedo do the drag braking job instead of a phyical brake like Nitro engine does...(remember, nitro engine cannot BRAKE itself and thats why there is a phyical brake on nitro version). And 15-20 minutes of a run time...it is a DREAM only (at least for this moment of technology of lipo/brushless motor). You can find all these data within the link below.

Not to mention...someone did a full carbon 966e looks even better then the original Serpent 966 itself.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nroad-car.html
Old 11-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

4pcs battery !
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Guys....we all want to see this happen, but if you have some time, check out this thread on Rctech....there are at least 4-5 group of ppl testing the lipo/brushless motor onto their MUGEN KYOSHO and SERPENT for the past year......the 966e is nothing new at all. Basicly, these ppl already tested onto their MUGEN KYOSHO for the past year.....

The problem they all see is....batteries is not large/powerfull enough (current model)s to move a 1/8th ON ROAD car that will last more then 5-6 minutes with FULL RACE condition (comparing to the nitro on road with 2-speed)....do not even compare the OFF ROAD version to the on road, off road can last 20 minutes because it does not use full throttle on pathment all the time like On road...ON ROAD is a totally different thing and these guys blowing motors after motors, lipos after lipos, and still trying to find the best combination for these 1/8th on road conversion for a good 6-8 minutes FULL SPEED run (like a 5 minutes qualifier for nitro on road)...

These ppl also have big batteries support behind them (they are not using the $30 lipo, they won't work) with prototype MAH and high C Rating, Saddle packs or straight packs...etc. And they are still testing things out. You can also find videos of them in action....there are only a FEW of them does look promissing....and they are all running in 6S configuration with 2350kv or slower motor.

Thats why...I am wondering what kinda LIPO/Motor package that SERPENT is releasing or using to back up their research....apparently, 4S is really pushing it, for both the run time and performance wise...and running more then 6 minutes without blowing up the speedo or motor is really pushing it. Serpent DOES NOT sell the LIPO or MOTOR for this 966e. That means, owner has to buy what is available in the market. It might get the car to move, but for how long, and how fast...no one know.

GO thru the below link....you will find a lot of usefull information so you don't have to waste $$$$ for blowing up speedo, motor and lipo. (They did that all the time...). Also, within the thread, you will know there is no reason for CENTAX, no reason for 2-speed........MAY BE, you can keep the brake, but for on road...I think I will let the speedo do the drag braking job instead of a phyical brake like Nitro engine does...(remember, nitro engine cannot BRAKE itself and thats why there is a phyical brake on nitro version). And 15-20 minutes of a run time...it is a DREAM only (at least for this moment of technology of lipo/brushless motor). You can find all these data within the link below.

Not to mention...someone did a full carbon 966e looks even better then the original Serpent 966 itself.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nroad-car.html
Exactly! everything you tells is absolute true!
Been there done that..
I do not like the configuration on this new 966, 4s lipos will kill batterys, Esc and motor. 6s and 2000kv motor and low gearing is probably the way to go, add some nice 6S lipos of 5000-6000mah then you have 10-14minutes of runtime in 65mph range on large tracks.
Will serpent make people disapointed? I think so.
I will order the gear adaptor and the motormount for my 966 though
Old 11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tjompa
Exactly! everything you tells is absolute true!
Been there done that..
I do not like the configuration on this new 966, 4s lipos will kill batterys, Esc and motor. 6s and 2000kv motor and low gearing is probably the way to go, add some nice 6S lipos of 5000-6000mah then you have 10-14minutes of runtime in 65mph range on large tracks.
Will serpent make people disapointed? I think so.
I will order the gear adaptor and the motormount for my 966 though
I would not say Serpent is going to disappointing us...at least, SERPENT stepped in and start their own project. I am just looking forward for them to reveal the whole project, especially that 4S lipo (saddle pack) that they are using, then the motor....and a video about a running 966e vs a nitro 966. If the 966e is only about 1 second slower then the nitro version 966...I would say they did a pretty good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZRqqyzB2j4

The above video...is probably the best running brushless on road conversion so far...of course, I am sure the E-kyosho or E-mugen here in USA are doing something as good or even better then that. But from what I can tell....with the current LIPO and MOTOR that we can buy...6S is the ONLY way to go if we want the speedo/motor not blowing up and still do 65 mph...

The above thread does go thru alot of data...for those who want to work on this kinda project, those info saves TONS of money and times.

To be honest....10-15 minutes run time is kinda high (no matter what you can find now for RC hobby)....I will take good 8 minutes HARD RUNNING without killing the motor, speedo and lipo....then I will be a happy camper (with today technology that is..)
Old 11-26-2009, 07:00 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

especially that 4S lipo (saddle pack) that they are using,
To me it looks like the newest saddle packs which are 2S make this 966 a 4x2S = 8S set-up!....

http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5029

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-b...c-74v/details/

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16346

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16347
Old 11-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by M7H
To me it looks like the newest saddle packs which are 2S make this 966 a 4x2S = 8S set-up!....
The 2S means 2 packs of 3.7v units. So the 4 blocks makes a total of 4S

Getting the same speeds I think more is needed than a common used 2200 - 2750 rpm/v motor, It will be in the range of a NOVAK HV which comes with 3000 up to 4000 rpm/v
Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

the saddle packs I mentioned are already 2S/7.4V
there are 4 of them mounted in the car, which means 8S....
Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by M7H
the saddle packs I mentioned are already 2S/7.4V
there are 4 of them mounted in the car, which means 8S....
Nope that is not correcti...all the packs you mentioned above were all 2S 7.4 TOTAL, each block is 1 cell 3.7V...on Serpent 966, it used 4 blocks = 4x3.7 = 14.8V. Like the one below, times two.

http://rcmarket.com.hk/images/IP-TP2S6000V1.jpg

IF (I highly doubt that) they are indeed 2S each...then I am 120% sure they are not even a 2000mah each, kinda like the cell phone or portable handheld computer batteries....which has low C-rating and will blow up the batteries in no time, if using on the 966e.

This configuration were used by multiple groups of ppl on their Evolva and Mugen already...again, 4S just not powerfull enough.....yet.

Also, high Kv motor won't work cause 4S (14.8V) just can't deliver the power for that kinda fast motor and not to mention, to last 5 minutes without blowing up the speedo and motor....again, faster motor were also tried by these ppl and without using higher voltage/lipo...faster motor just won't get to that fast Kv speed. Remember, the amp draw of these monster are not even close to what it is on 1/8th off road, thats why they have been blowing up lipo and motor left and right by trying to find the right combination.

This 1/8th conversion is a lot harder then everyone think....you cannot say it works on 1/8th buggy conversion, or plenty of 1/10th 190mm were using 4S and why not using it on 1/8th on road....somehow, it is not that easy to get that work out....not even for good 6-7 minutes of run time. Converting a nitro car to electric actually is the easiest part afterall. Take off the brake system, the 2-speed, the nitro engine....it is alot easier then trying to fit the right compoinant into the car and can still run for 6-7 FAST minutes....

Really...read thru the above thread. These guys wasted a lot of money, time, speedo, lipo and motor to get to this point...and it is still not there yet.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

You could try the Future XXL or the YGE 200 HV Navy or maybe the Castle Creations HV240.

The problem with ESCs blowing up is the driving style. As IC engines have very little torque you can give the car full throttle at low revs and let it rip. An electric car will just go to full amps andblow the ESC when you do this. The ESCs have to be limited to ramp up the power slowly. Another solution would be to fit a mechanical 2 speed gearbox to offload the low speed amps

We have the same problem with speed cars. If we gear them up too high you have to feed in the throttle very slowly

Cheers
Old 11-27-2009, 01:10 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
The 2S means 2 packs of 3.7v units. So the 4 blocks makes a total of 4S
JA, ik zie hem!... (na die foto van Solara)
Soms kan het zo makkelijk zijn, alleen moet het kwartje ff vallen....

Nope that is not correcti...all the packs you mentioned above were all 2S 7.4 TOTAL, each block is 1 cell 3.7V...on Serpent 966, it used 4 blocks = 4x3.7 = 14.8V. Like the one below, times two.
Thanks, now I see it!! a picture says so much more then words....

Really...read thru the above thread. These guys wasted a lot of money, time, speedo, lipo and motor to get to this point...and it is still not there yet.
I did, but with the wrong battery in mind...
Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

form HK
Attached Thumbnails Brushless Serpent 966-p1020092x.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

only that is a Shepherd, not a Serpent...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Initiate

is there a actual picture of this brushless Serpent 966-e?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
form HK
It looks good....however, how was that performs? I have friend recently saw a E-1/8th @ ACO in HK....car is super slow, every turn will fish tail, thought that might be the weight problem....I hope that was not the same one as this Shephard.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by losipoppa
is there a actual picture of this brushless Serpent 966-e?
Yes there is on the Serpent website.

It seems they have choosen the LRP SPX8 combo set and probebly the 2800kv version. I have calculated the theoretical speed with the rpm, transmission and 76mm tires and it will hit the 100km/h

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.