Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Engine Bearings

I posted this question under ceramcs bearings, but I'll post it here too where the motorheads hang-out. Are ceramic engine bearings a no no for .12 and .21 on-road ROAR racing events or are they legal?

Also my RB V-12 after 5 gallons of fuel is starting to see just a whee bit of bearing wear. I want to replace the front and main engine bearing. If ceramics are a no no for engine bearings at ROAR events are there aftermarket steel bearings that are better than the standard kit engine bearings? If so which ones? Also if I upgrade the bearings will there be a noticable difference in performance(rpm, spin-up and longeveity)? I also wish I knew what the standard kit bearings were rated at. ABEC 3,5,7 etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:21 AM

Definately a no-no for ROAR races. I don't know how much if any performance gain it is, I think it is just durability, like never having to worry about the bearings again. BOCA makes good steel replacement bearings although I don't know if they'll have that 11.5 mm ID bearing yet, you might be better off getting the nova mega part, if you can't find rb/nr ones.