Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 733 1/10 200mm touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M7H
That what opinions are for...

But, as a long time Serpent driver I can assure you 1 thing compared to other brands.
Yes, the plastic parts now seem to have a (to) tight fit, but after you have driven the car everything will settle, and then you will see that the amount of play on the parts will be very little compared to other brands.... and this little amount of play will stay that way for a very long time!....
And I have seen hugh amount of play on other branded cars... "this supose to be like this" is the comment from the owner then.... sure...
I don't know about the plastic parts loosening up.

As a long time Mugen driver, this spring I built my first Serpent kit, a 966 for my son who's partially supported by Serpent now.

I have to say, the built didn't go as smooth as I am used to from my Mugens.

Among missing parts I was actually shocked how tight some of the plastic parts fitted, and I went back to a very old routine, to "bake" the car at 80°C for a few hours.

The suspension became a bit more free after that, but all the ball ends didn't.

I ended up using a long time Serpent driver's ball reamer to make them move freely. Strange thing was that they started to tighten back up.

Sorry to say, but I replaced them with Mugen parts

I think serpent is working on a new plastic compóund to solve this problem

@ Katze: As with full size cars, the first production runs are prone to have small problems. It's callled field testing. That's why I usually wait a few month before I purchase a new kit
Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stefan
Maybe the new chinees plastic is a bit different....

I know a mugen fits together perfectly, and with a snake you sometimes have to do some work, although my 950R, 960'08 which I upgraded to 966, went together without the use of a reamer at all....
I also believe people should just put the car together and drive with it, because it will loosen up...
Old 07-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Tech Adept

[/QUOTE]

What type of receiver is this??? Is it Ok for the radio Esprit II type R??? thank you very much...
Old 07-19-2009, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan

As a long time Mugen driver, this spring I built my first Serpent kit, a 966 for my son who's partially supported by Serpent now.

I have to say, the built didn't go as smooth as I am used to from my Mugens.

Among missing parts I was actually shocked how tight some of the plastic parts fitted, and I went back to a very old routine, to "bake" the car at 80°C for a few hours.

The suspension became a bit more free after that, but all the ball ends didn't.

I ended up using a long time Serpent driver's ball reamer to make them move freely. Strange thing was that they started to tighten back up.

Sorry to say, but I replaced them with Mugen parts

I think serpent is working on a new plastic compóund to solve this problem

@ Katze: As with full size cars, the first production runs are prone to have small problems. It's callled field testing. That's why I usually wait a few month before I purchase a new kit

+1....Also, I remember reading about a process HUDY uses to remould parts so after they cool he can see where the shrinking areas are, remold them, and this is what allows for a first time fit.....although I am sure the plastic has something to do with it
Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by and23
What type of receiver is this??? Is it Ok for the radio Esprit II type R??? thank you very much...[/QUOTE]

That is a Airtronics/Sanwa 2.4ghz FHSS-2
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

ok... now i intend to do some unbiased field test reporting as i got back from a few runs at the track...

<< First impressions >>
Build process was rough for me but the finished product looked really handsome indeed. Car started up fine and nothing was seriously binding. Suspension was still too stiff for my liking and that caused handling problems for the first couple of tanks. Car was totally all over the place. The plastics bits loosen up and the car tweaked massively towards the right. Some sub trimming allowed the car to track straight again.

<< Set-Up >>
Started out with the stock setup and the car was handling sweet at my local track(after the car loosened up of course). Was impressed since the only other car that handled sweet right from the box was a Kyosho. Tweaked the shock positions and changed my rear diff oil to a harder one and the car was suddenly great! Certainly did not expect the setting-up to be so easy. As i slowly got used to the car(and maybe the car loosened up further), i felt that i was putting out faster and faster laps.

<< Handling Impressions >>
The car can handle weight changes really fast. I suspect its due to the low CG and centralised weight placement. Noticeable less roll for sweepers and chicanes/S turns/180 turns were suddenly much more fun. I suspect the car will be very fast in a tight technical track. The "sweet spot" for the car was very wide. The car responds to setup tweaks but is not overly sensitive which is a good thing i guess. Ran my tires down to the rim and the car was consistent in handling throughout the day.

<< Verdict >>
The 733 is impressive both aesthetically and performance wise. These two point will definitely allow Serpent to sell a lot of 733s. They can sell even more 733s if they buck up on the manual and plastic part mouldings.
I am wowed by the car because of how it can corner so damn fast and its easy drivabillity. I think Serpent has a potential front runner now. My NT1 is excellent but I think the 733 is better. Will test out more extensively to ensure that it is not perceived superioriority due to the new "car syndrome".

Mr Hudy, look out!!! A little competition will be good. * hint hint - new car *
Old 07-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got the kit, have not started building it but will like to make a few comments:

1) Kit is confirmed manufactured in China (Says on the box)
2) Beautiful matt aluminum parts (However, some minor scratches on the front aluminum bulkhead (Seems to be a manufacturing issue or it could be an initial batch issue)
3) Full colour manual but like what Katze has mentioned, manual was pixelated and poor resolution. Manual also not very detailed like those from xray and kyosho. Not a kit for beginners....
4) No setup sheets included, Serpent did not even bother to include some decals considering the price!
5) Very thick and sturdy 4mm carbon fibre parts
Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

some parts arrive !
Old 07-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by katze
ok... now i intend to do some unbiased field test reporting as i got back from a few runs at the track...

<< First impressions >>
Build process was rough for me but the finished product looked really handsome indeed. Car started up fine and nothing was seriously binding. Suspension was still too stiff for my liking and that caused handling problems for the first couple of tanks. Car was totally all over the place. The plastics bits loosen up and the car tweaked massively towards the right. Some sub trimming allowed the car to track straight again.

<< Set-Up >>
Started out with the stock setup and the car was handling sweet at my local track(after the car loosened up of course). Was impressed since the only other car that handled sweet right from the box was a Kyosho. Tweaked the shock positions and changed my rear diff oil to a harder one and the car was suddenly great! Certainly did not expect the setting-up to be so easy. As i slowly got used to the car(and maybe the car loosened up further), i felt that i was putting out faster and faster laps.

<< Handling Impressions >>
The car can handle weight changes really fast. I suspect its due to the low CG and centralised weight placement. Noticeable less roll for sweepers and chicanes/S turns/180 turns were suddenly much more fun. I suspect the car will be very fast in a tight technical track. The "sweet spot" for the car was very wide. The car responds to setup tweaks but is not overly sensitive which is a good thing i guess. Ran my tires down to the rim and the car was consistent in handling throughout the day.

<< Verdict >>
The 733 is impressive both aesthetically and performance wise. These two point will definitely allow Serpent to sell a lot of 733s. They can sell even more 733s if they buck up on the manual and plastic part mouldings.
I am wowed by the car because of how it can corner so damn fast and its easy drivabillity. I think Serpent has a potential front runner now. My NT1 is excellent but I think the 733 is better. Will test out more extensively to ensure that it is not perceived superioriority due to the new "car syndrome".

Mr Hudy, look out!!! A little competition will be good. * hint hint - new car *
good review, i know with some high end off roading kits you need to "breakin" the car to losin it up, maybe the same case here. i'll have mine in the morning
so next track day i can run both cars and get my thoughts about it.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

1st I don't have a 733 but wished I did got to see a couple of local drivers & Dj run his 733 today
Very smooth but Dj is always smooth a couple of things that I saw compared to his 720 the 733 has more corner speed & very smooth that it almost looks like an electric car on the track that is dialed instantly.
as for the other local drivers there 733's looked really good as well
really got a chance to look it over & im very impressed if I spent more time on it the next thing I would be doing is buying 1 the 733 is very free rolls really good.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
some parts arrive !
when are the spurs gonna be in?

arms and belts too?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

when are the spurs gonna be in?

arms and belts too?
the spurs and pinions are the same as the 720s "WC" gears, has of all of the clucth system
Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

They can sell even more 733s if they buck up on the manual and plastic part mouldings.
As the manual is not online yet, I wonder if it is the same idea as the manual for the 966?
Here you have a link, to compare:
http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=4945

If not, I reckon they did everything they could to get the 733 on the market, and not mis the train and let the V10 steel customers...

Will test out more extensively to ensure that it is not perceived superioriority due to the new "car syndrome".
Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
As the manual is not online yet, I wonder if it is the same idea as the manual for the 966?
Here you have a link, to compare:
http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=4945

If not, I reckon they did everything they could to get the 733 on the market, and not mis the train and let the V10 steel customers...

i dont believe they got the car in the market correctly. for reasons i will not get into at the moment. but all i ican say is that many distributors do not have kits yet and do not know when they will get theirs for their own preorders, but a certain HK shop has 100 kits. well they did yesterday.

Last edited by Pattojnr; 07-20-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: cant spell for shit
Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

101 kits he has, but he already had this 4 days ago, so does he really have them?, or is this just a fake number he put in his system...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.