Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
What is the correct direction for the ventilated brake disc?
Yes, it was discussed just recently. I think there was no correct answer. Like Justrace, I install mine the same as his. I find that the brakes will not grab so suddenly and giving rear wheel lock and gives a more linear braking.

But then looking at how AMG Mercedes install on their real 1:1 cars, it's the other way around ! Perhaps they want better braking and they can afford the stability as they don't run oneway front ! So there is no real answer. Just test and see which side you prefer.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

I usually run with the front solid axle, so I can use all the braking power I can get. I have it set the 'mercedes' way and find it works perfectly, with plenty stopping power.

When using the one-way I hardly brake at all, just a little drag brake (and ABS set up on my transmitter). The vented disk is better there too, since the original steel disk tends to get very hot on the rather technical track I usually drive...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Qlone
I usually run with the front solid axle, so I can use all the braking power I can get. I have it set the 'mercedes' way and find it works perfectly, with plenty stopping power.

When using the one-way I hardly brake at all, just a little drag brake (and ABS set up on my transmitter). The vented disk is better there too, since the original steel disk tends to get very hot on the rather technical track I usually drive...
Qlone, do you run the race brake pads (9607) when running solid front or when running oneway front?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JustRace
I don't think you can search a specific thread. You can search and use the display as post to sort the search.

As for the disc, I set mine with the vent like this:
Front / Rear not like this Front \ Rear
Actually you can with this version of vBulettin. futureal is looking at installing it.

Oh and I do the same with the brake disc.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InitialD
Yes, it was discussed just recently. I think there was no correct answer. Like Justrace, I install mine the same as his. I find that the brakes will not grab so suddenly and giving rear wheel lock and gives a more linear braking.
Much more progressive.

But then looking at how AMG Mercedes install on their real 1:1 cars, it's the other way around ! Perhaps they want better braking and they can afford the stability as they don't run oneway front ! So there is no real answer. Just test and see which side you prefer.
Something to do with weight-to-braking power ratio or momentum?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Tech Adept

Qlone, do you run the race brake pads (9607) when running solid front or when running oneway front?
No, I run the normal pads at the moment. When they become bad I will replace them with the (better) race pads...

I notice somewhat more wear on the brake pads compared to my impulse, which I only drove with the front one-way...

Oh, btw: Which vented brake disk(s) do you all have? I ordered #801345:
but I got a bag with one of

Last edited by Qlone; 05-24-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Tech Regular

Default Springgssss

Hi all,

As some ppl know i bought my s710 second hand, and i got lots (2 complete (Front/read) sets) of shocks and with the 705 i had, it gave me 3 complete sets of shocks...;

The 2 sets i got with the 710 where filled and without air.. bit i don't know what's in them.. the cap says 35W with 1.2mm hole and 50w with 1.2mm hole...

now i have disassembled all the shocks so i can figure out what what is.. but i do not know what's better.. the 1.2mm holes or the 0.9mm (??) holes and with what oil.. since i don't use the serpent oil.. i use the trinity silicon oil witch has different numbers.... (the serpent oil is a little to expencive, i really have a budget :S )

So, any tips on what to do with the sets i have, and, what's beter, the alloy shock howsing or the composite?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Qlone
but I got a bag with one of
Qlone, Julius recommend using the above disc. Where did you order it from? Perhaps the guys already know that if you either drive the 950R or the 710, the 9606 vented disc is better.

BTW, the 9606 vented disc with 9607 race brake pads combination is just magical. If you're into heavy braking, that's the ticket to fade free braking. No problems doing a full 45 minutes of it.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
now i have disassembled all the shocks so i can figure out what what is.. but i do not know what's better.. the 1.2mm holes or the 0.9mm (??) holes and with what oil.. since i don't use the serpent oil.. i use the trinity silicon oil witch has different numbers.... (the serpent oil is a little to expencive, i really have a budget :S )

So, any tips on what to do with the sets i have, and, what's beter, the alloy shock howsing or the composite?
I find the performance of the composite ones really good when you fix them up properly. I find the aluminum ones leak while the composite ones can go weeks without leaking and still work good.

Anyway, I believe Pyramid / Goldfinger can help you out on that one. Don't quote on me but the 75wt Trinity oil will be somewhere about 45wt Serpent oil. The 30wt / 35 wt Serpent will feel like 50wt / 60wt Trinity shock oil. Check with them...

Usually, the thicker oil will work better with the 1.2 mm hole pistons. But I'm told that if you play at the MACH track, the 5 x 1.2 mm hole pistons with 50wt Serpent oil combi does not work as good previously before the new layer of tarmac was laid at the MACH track surface.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you're into heavy braking, that's the ticket to fade free braking. No problems doing a full 45 minutes of it.
yes, but the belts will wear out faster.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

I find the performance of the composite ones really good when you fix them up properly. I find the aluminum ones leak while the composite ones can go weeks without leaking and still work good.

Anyway, I believe Pyramid / Goldfinger can help you out on that one. Don't quote on****

Usually, the thicker oil will work better with the 1.2 mm hole pistons. But I'm told that if you play at the MACH track, the 5 x 1.2 mm hole pistons with 50wt Serpent oil combi does not work as good previously before the new layer of tarmac was laid at the MACH track surface.
The local guys can tell me a lot of stuff about it.. i don't race a lot @ mach, but still one national race there so all info about that is nice... i hope julius will race another national race, it's great watching does fast guys

Unfortunalty i still have the 4 hole pistons..
Old 05-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

serpent 710 for sale. check for sale thred or pm me for questions. $220+shipping.sorry for posting here,just want the word to get out.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by redsand
yes, but the belts will wear out faster.
I thought so too but on the contrary, I have not had to change any of my belts yet after close to half a year playing and with a few races to boot with the solid front / front diff. I changed all my belts before the Thailand race beginning this year and I'm still using the same belts. Our tracks are not the best of condition in terms of dust and small pebbles. Perhaps the performance of the belts are due to soaking them first in silicone lube before putting them on.

I would think if it was on a 705 / Impulse, the front belts would be the first to go. Kudos on Serpent with the new pulleys and kevlar belts on the 710.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Unfortunalty i still have the 4 hole pistons..
The 710 should already come with 1.0 mm adjustable 5 hole shock pistons... The later batch of 710 comes with adjustable 5 hole pistons with 1.0 mm as well as 1.2 mm versions.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Belts

Perhaps the performance of the belts are due to soaking them first in silicone lube before putting them on
Do we really need to do this? Does this increase performance and/or durability?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.