Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Reciever Pack

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Lipo Reciever Pack

I am interested in buying a lipo receiver pack for my mtx4r. Whats everyones opinion. Do they last longer on a charge. I have a lipo charger so thats not an issue. What one do you guys recomend or do you not recomend them at all. I know its a novalty thing but they are lighter.

lmk asap
Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

you will also need a regulator........and yes the charge last's longer

no recommendation as i'm a Serpent guy....but i would think any 7.4v reciever pack size. MTX4 has more room than Serpent in the battery placement
Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
I am interested in buying a lipo receiver pack for my mtx4r. Whats everyones opinion. Do they last longer on a charge. I have a lipo charger so thats not an issue. What one do you guys recomend or do you not recomend them at all. I know its a novalty thing but they are lighter.

lmk asap
I have run lipo batteries for 3 years. I have a regulator/cut-off to protect the battery. In my opinion, there are 2 main advantages to lipos = 1) they are much lighter so you can add weight (if you have to) where you want it to enhance the handling of the car and 2) the servo speed is very fast right up to the instant that the low voltage cut off shuts off the system. I don't think that they last any longer because 1400mah is 1400mah regardless of if it is nicad or lipo. If there is a difference in time I don't think it is significant.

Be warned that these batteries can be dangerous. I have had to replace the batteries 2x due to damage caused by low voltage situations caused by a longer than normal storage period between race weekends. I suggest that you should charge your pack to about 1/2 capacity or more before storing the car between race weekends.

When my lipo packs went bad I did not realize that I had a problem until the charger shut off well before it should have when I attempted to recharge the car. It was at this point I removed the battery pack and found it PUFFED up and was HOT! I have heard horror stories of lipo fires created by batteries damaged by charging or physical damage.

Because of this I also started removing the battery pack from the car after a race weekend and storing it in plain view where I could see them during recharge.

Lee
Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I have run lipo batteries for 3 years. I have a regulator/cut-off to protect the battery. In my opinion, there are 2 main advantages to lipos = 1) they are much lighter so you can add weight (if you have to) where you want it to enhance the handling of the car and 2) the servo speed is very fast right up to the instant that the low voltage cut off shuts off the system. I don't think that they last any longer because 1400mah is 1400mah regardless of if it is nicad or lipo. If there is a difference in time I don't think it is significant.

Be warned that these batteries can be dangerous. I have had to replace the batteries 2x due to damage caused by low voltage situations caused by a longer than normal storage period between race weekends. I suggest that you should charge your pack to about 1/2 capacity or more before storing the car between race weekends.

When my lipo packs went bad I did not realize that I had a problem until the charger shut off well before it should have when I attempted to recharge the car. It was at this point I removed the battery pack and found it PUFFED up and was HOT! I have heard horror stories of lipo fires created by batteries damaged by charging or physical damage.

Because of this I also started removing the battery pack from the car after a race weekend and storing it in plain view where I could see them during recharge.

Lee
Thanks

Ok Now you have given me more questions

What lipo Pack do you recomend?
What Lipo Cutoff do you recomend?
Also does this put greater wear and tare on my servos With the higher voltage?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
Thanks

Ok Now you have given me more questions

What lipo Pack do you recomend?
What Lipo Cutoff do you recomend?
Also does this put greater wear and tare on my servos With the higher voltage?

Thanks
I have used a couple of brands - Xceed and Align. The voltage shut off I use is the Novak 5460 (it has a small light in it to let you know when it is on and it also has it's own on/off switch included). I have both of these in stock.

I never had any problems with my servos. I think that the shut off regulates the voltage to prevent it from being too high. I have heard of a lot of people not using a voltage regulator cut off and they had no problems with their servos. I don't recommend this if for no reason than keeping the batteries from over discharging.

Lee
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, new here.. I am also interested in buying some Li-Po's for my receiver but have a few questions:

What is recommended 2 cell or 3 cell?

does the voltage have to be cut off at 6v? meaning i would have to buy a regulator?

Is there any recommended mah limit? I am currently using 1400mah Nihm's can i get say a 2500mah Li-Po so it would last longer?

and finally would something like these be suitable?

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN-1559

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-b...0-74v/details/

Sorry for all the questions!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Hi Guys
I have the vxr 1300 lipo in my nt1, when it was new it would peak to about 1300 mah when charging but now it only charges till about 300 - 400 mah

should i be concerned?

im using the swallow advance to charge my battery. its been used for about 5-7 race days and i would charge it the night before then charge it before the final
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrgsr
Hi Guys
I have the vxr 1300 lipo in my nt1, when it was new it would peak to about 1300 mah when charging but now it only charges till about 300 - 400 mah

should i be concerned?

im using the swallow advance to charge my battery. its been used for about 5-7 race days and i would charge it the night before then charge it before the final
If the pack is swollen or gets hot when you charge it you should be concerned.

Lee