Search

Weekend in Vegas!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

:cool :
Old 11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh now you want to come out of the closet fred!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Danny A.
As for the post by TechNazi, that would be Craig Kaplan. He was there and he even raced in the lower mains on Sunday and didnt seem to have much problem.

So to answer your question, what am I hoping to get out of this, well I hope we can have races in Vegas like we once did. Where there were so many entries that signups were closed when the list was full. Where all my friends that once enjoyed coming to race in Vegas decided to return for some good competition, laughs and memories that one would WANT to remember years down the road. I want positive change from all of this.

And BTW, why are you speaking for technazi?
Who said he was speaking for me? He simply stated who I was and that I ran at the race in the lower mains. However, I did bump to the 'B'!

All in all, yes, the traction was not as good as it could have been. When it got a bit loose I needed to adjust my driving so that it was smoother and I seemed to have better lap times even though traction was down. I agree. Yes, you heard right... I agree. However, Danny, you were comparing the Vegas track to 301? Last time I checked, 301 Raceway isn't in the middle of the desert where winds blow and sand/dirt get blown all over the place. Sure, nobody really likes the wind when racing, but it's a part of life. It's just unfortunate that the Silver Bowl track happens to be in the middle of dust and dirt that can easily be blown on the track and take away our traction. Heck, look at the Moto GP race they tried to have at Indianapolis this year. It rained somewhat, but the winds were blowing so bad and the main reason they called the race. Remember the Silver State Nitro Challenge? Track was horrible with winds and dust way worse than what we experienced at this race, but everybody stayed with it and did the best they could. Mother Nature just wasn't cooperating on the most part.

Do you wash a car right before it rains? Maybe some do, but then complain after it rains that the car wash wasn't a very good one as they look at the water spots on their hood. Well, not too far off an analogy from the track I'd say. Look, I'd like to see racing what it once was years ago as well, but it probably won't happen any time soon. Anyone remember the parking lot races that Hobby People used to have in So Cal? It was a parking lot race and they would numerously fill up with 250+ entries at each race. Towards the end, they were lucky if they got 60 entries. Was it because of the track not having traction? Doubt it. Just a sign of the times. Look at on road racing in general. It's down! No getting around it.

1/10 4wd open - what happened to this class?

1/10 Nitro Sedan - only 1 heat at this race? This used to be the most popular on road class some 8 years ago! Is it because of the track? Heck, Associated doesn't even support this class any longer. HPI doesn't really any longer either and they were one of the early birds with their Nitro RS4.

1/10 pan cars - what happened to these? Remember Bolink? Remember the Agitator cars?

SV Speedway (or KZ, however you want to call it) - this was supposed to be the 'be all' of on road tracks. A racing mecca for on and off road racers. If on road racing was as popular as some people think then how did this track go so wrong?

With everyone getting layed off or losing financial income, do you really think that people are going to risk spending a couple of hundred dollars to race their hobby cars? That money could easily go to rent, a car payment, or credit card bill that's more critical.

The drop in turnouts in racing isn't all related to way some people organize a race. The hobby industry is cyclic. Some companies do well while others suffer. Take Tamiya for example. While people knew of them in the late 80's and early 90's, they were mostly known for their plastic models and realistic off road cars such as the Bruiser. They were HUGE in the early 90's with their electric sedans. Tons of people started off with their cars and if you raced them then you probably had one which was heavily modified. People would even buy them to have fun in their driveway or in some parking lot. How many people are racing or driving Tamiya now?

At this point, I'm not complaining any longer. I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to show a point and for everyone to realize just how small the on road community really is. Yes, we can all point fingers, but I don't think that really solves anything at this time in our economy/era. Maybe we should just all look to a more positive time when can simply run, traction or not, and bring the hobby to what it once was..... a hobby.

.....and William, if a beer makes you happy and want to drive again then hallelujah!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can tell you this Technazi after all the post yesturday and all the PM to me, this thread is not about weekend in Vegas, Track, Cleaning, weather, ect. It simply comes down to there are people out there that just do not like Rich Taylor. There have been past races with him were they say track was in great condition but still found somthing to complain about. Rich has black cloud over his head yes he is responisble for it.

I get it, as I said I have my issue with him, I just hate that know one really wants to be honest in here, they want to creat thread about track conditions when it has nothing to due with it. I told Rich Taylor last night on phone I dont care what you do or did not due they came to the race with there mind made up already they dont like you. I have had sevral old racer tell me I be back when Rich leaves. Great how about making stand now and try to find solutions to these issues. You will find I am not hear to bs I will tell it like it is. Truth. I am sorry as Adults we can not find solutions to simple problems. In my oppinon kicking some one out is not solution. We all have failed if thats what this is going to come down to. Thats my feelings
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Danny, I agree with you I want to see the racing back the way it was this was my favorite track on the west coast!

Last edited by csystp; 11-18-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chuyz06
hey tony whats up? let me get that gnx
not yet chuey
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aturbotony
not yet chuey

Grand National?????
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Grand National?????
Old 11-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Robert R
I can tell you this Technazi after all the post yesturday and all the PM to me, this thread is not about weekend in Vegas, Track, Cleaning, weather, ect. It simply comes down to there are people out there that just do not like Rich Taylor. There have been past races with him were they say track was in great condition but still found somthing to complain about. Rich has black cloud over his head yes he is responisble for it.

I get it, as I said I have my issue with him, I just hate that know one really wants to be honest in here, they want to creat thread about track conditions when it has nothing to due with it. I told Rich Taylor last night on phone I dont care what you do or did not due they came to the race with there mind made up already they dont like you. I have had sevral old racer tell me I be back when Rich leaves. Great how about making stand now and try to find solutions to these issues. You will find I am not hear to bs I will tell it like it is. Truth. I am sorry as Adults we can not find solutions to simple problems. In my oppinon kicking some one out is not solution. We all have failed if thats what this is going to come down to. Thats my feelings
Old 11-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Robert- I hear ya and understand that Rich has pissed off quite a few people. There are even times when I have 'disagreed' with Rich, but I've moved on and looked at it in a different mind set. Yes, I don't always get along with people, but I try to find a solution for it. Not saying that nobody else is trying, but things need to change. Either outlooks need to change or suggestions need to change.

While I've seen a lot of people complain, I haven't really seen anyone give a constructive criticism on what to do to improve the situation. Personally, I can't do a whole lot as I don't even live in the same state, but there are others in Vegas that once used to be a part of the track and I haven't seen anyone 'step up' to put a remedy to the 'problem'.

However, what you're telling me is that it isn't about the track and it's only about Rich. Then why do I see everyone complaining about the traction then? This whole thread basically started off with a statement that the track was in horrible condition and it should have been better.

Perhaps it's a simple matter of letting bye gons be bye gons (or however you spell it) and recreate the 4 Aces Club once again so that there is some 'meat' behind the track where it could be a fun environment to have club racing once again. Additionally, with a club reinstated, there would be more volunteers and possibly some extra funding from the county to donate to the club's organization in keeping the track clean. Keep in mind that in that area it's difficult to do that and ideally the track would be in a huge bubble where weather wouldn't affect it! Then again, it's reality, and we all need to face it.

So you're stating that if Rich leaves all of the old racers would come back. Ok. I can understand that. However, who runs the race then? Who preps the track and cleans it? You? The tractor, and most of the equipment to run the race is either Rich Taylor's or Scott Fisher's (audio). Does the next guy have sprayers for VHT? Does he have a tarp to cover the driver's stand and tables/chairs to offer to the racers? Who brings the transponder decoder, computer, power boxes, and other equipment needed?

Think of this..... Purely hypothetical........Try running the race with one or two other people. Maybe even just yourself and one other where you have to set up everything and make sure it's working in a matter of a few hours. Have you done that before? I sure have. Quite a few times. Believe me, I'm not the happiest person to be around when I feel pressured like that and I've even pissed off some people. I know it's hard to believe for those that really know me, but it's true. Look at Charlie Barnes. He puts on a friendly race in parking lots, but if you try to approach him while he's setting up you can really get the wrong impression from him. Could you imagine if 20 people started helping Rich with the track? He might actually shed a smile!

Like I said, something needs to change. Maybe it's a simple matter of outlooks and for people to imagine themselves in Rich's position. Maybe it's a matter of people making a stand and getting the track back the way it used to be by being involved. However, I haven't seen anyone say "I'll do it" or raise their hand willing to step up. If people really want something to be to their liking then they need to be a part of it. When it comes to the track, simply adding your 2 cents isn't going to cut it. There needs to be a dedicated group of people who are willing to sacrifice some time and sweat and bring the interest of on road racing back to Vegas.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have said that for while now Technazi, somtimes I wonder if I am even speaking & writting in english. Glad to see some one gets it. We have great track here in vegas not to say its 7 minutes away from home. I hate to see it empty.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by technazi
Who said he was speaking for me? He simply stated who I was and that I ran at the race in the lower mains. However, I did bump to the 'B'!

All in all, yes, the traction was not as good as it could have been. When it got a bit loose I needed to adjust my driving so that it was smoother and I seemed to have better lap times even though traction was down. I agree. Yes, you heard right... I agree. However, Danny, you were comparing the Vegas track to 301? Last time I checked, 301 Raceway isn't in the middle of the desert where winds blow and sand/dirt get blown all over the place. Sure, nobody really likes the wind when racing, but it's a part of life. It's just unfortunate that the Silver Bowl track happens to be in the middle of dust and dirt that can easily be blown on the track and take away our traction. Heck, look at the Moto GP race they tried to have at Indianapolis this year. It rained somewhat, but the winds were blowing so bad and the main reason they called the race. Remember the Silver State Nitro Challenge? Track was horrible with winds and dust way worse than what we experienced at this race, but everybody stayed with it and did the best they could. Mother Nature just wasn't cooperating on the most part.

Do you wash a car right before it rains? Maybe some do, but then complain after it rains that the car wash wasn't a very good one as they look at the water spots on their hood. Well, not too far off an analogy from the track I'd say. Look, I'd like to see racing what it once was years ago as well, but it probably won't happen any time soon. Anyone remember the parking lot races that Hobby People used to have in So Cal? It was a parking lot race and they would numerously fill up with 250+ entries at each race. Towards the end, they were lucky if they got 60 entries. Was it because of the track not having traction? Doubt it. Just a sign of the times. Look at on road racing in general. It's down! No getting around it.

1/10 4wd open - what happened to this class?

1/10 Nitro Sedan - only 1 heat at this race? This used to be the most popular on road class some 8 years ago! Is it because of the track? Heck, Associated doesn't even support this class any longer. HPI doesn't really any longer either and they were one of the early birds with their Nitro RS4.

1/10 pan cars - what happened to these? Remember Bolink? Remember the Agitator cars?

SV Speedway (or KZ, however you want to call it) - this was supposed to be the 'be all' of on road tracks. A racing mecca for on and off road racers. If on road racing was as popular as some people think then how did this track go so wrong?

With everyone getting layed off or losing financial income, do you really think that people are going to risk spending a couple of hundred dollars to race their hobby cars? That money could easily go to rent, a car payment, or credit card bill that's more critical.

The drop in turnouts in racing isn't all related to way some people organize a race. The hobby industry is cyclic. Some companies do well while others suffer. Take Tamiya for example. While people knew of them in the late 80's and early 90's, they were mostly known for their plastic models and realistic off road cars such as the Bruiser. They were HUGE in the early 90's with their electric sedans. Tons of people started off with their cars and if you raced them then you probably had one which was heavily modified. People would even buy them to have fun in their driveway or in some parking lot. How many people are racing or driving Tamiya now?

At this point, I'm not complaining any longer. I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to show a point and for everyone to realize just how small the on road community really is. Yes, we can all point fingers, but I don't think that really solves anything at this time in our economy/era. Maybe we should just all look to a more positive time when can simply run, traction or not, and bring the hobby to what it once was..... a hobby.

.....and William, if a beer makes you happy and want to drive again then hallelujah!
Couple of hundred! I don't what car you are running but I want one!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=technazi;5066583]Robert- I hear ya and understand that Rich has pissed off quite a few people. There are even times when I have 'disagreed' with Rich, but I've moved on and looked at it in a different mind set. Yes, I don't always get along with people, but I try to find a solution for it. Not saying that nobody else is trying, but things need to change. Either outlooks need to change or suggestions need to change.

While I've seen a lot of people complain, I haven't really seen anyone give a constructive criticism on what to do to improve the situation. Personally, I can't do a whole lot as I don't even live in the same state, but there are others in Vegas that once used to be a part of the track and I haven't seen anyone 'step up' to put a remedy to the 'problem'.

However, what you're telling me is that it isn't about the track and it's only about Rich. Then why do I see everyone complaining about the traction then? This whole thread basically started off with a statement that the track was in horrible condition and it should have been better.

Perhaps it's a simple matter of letting bye gons be bye gons (or however you spell it) and recreate the 4 Aces Club once again so that there is some 'meat' behind the track where it could be a fun environment to have club racing once again. Additionally, with a club reinstated, there would be more volunteers and possibly some extra funding from the county to donate to the club's organization in keeping the track clean. Keep in mind that in that area it's difficult to do that and ideally the track would be in a huge bubble where weather wouldn't affect it! Then again, it's reality, and we all need to face it.

So you're stating that if Rich leaves all of the old racers would come back. Ok. I can understand that. However, who runs the race then? Who preps the track and cleans it? You? The tractor, and most of the equipment to run the race is either Rich Taylor's or Scott Fisher's (audio). Does the next guy have sprayers for VHT? Does he have a tarp to cover the driver's stand and tables/chairs to offer to the racers? Who brings the transponder decoder, computer, power boxes, and other equipment needed?

Think of this..... Purely hypothetical........Try running the race with one or two other people. Maybe even just yourself and one other where you have to set up everything and make sure it's working in a matter of a few hours. Have you done that before? I sure have. Quite a few times. Believe me, I'm not the happiest person to be around when I feel pressured like that and I've even pissed off some people. I know it's hard to believe for those that really know me, but it's true. Look at Charlie Barnes. He puts on a friendly race in parking lots, but if you try to approach him while he's setting up you can really get the wrong impression from him. Could you imagine if 20 people started helping Rich with the track? He might actually shed a smile!

Like I said, something needs to change. Maybe it's a simple matter of outlooks and for people to imagine themselves in Rich's position. Maybe it's a matter of people making a stand and getting the track back the way it used to be by being involved. However, I haven't seen anyone say "I'll do it" or raise their hand willing to step up. If people really want something to be to their liking then they need to be a part of it. When it comes to the track, simply adding your 2 cents isn't going to cut it. There needs to be a dedicated group of people who are willing to sacrifice some time and sweat and bring the interest of on road racing back to Vegas.[/QUOTE

The track has ben the Silverbowl Raceway sence 1983 and From what i remember there has ben ALOT of races run there before Rich showed up.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

(The track has ben the Silverbowl Raceway sence 1983 and From what i remember there has ben ALOT of races run there before Rich showed up.)

whats that mean Fred. So what is your point, please make one at least. Or put the crabs back in your heli, and fly away.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

(The track has ben the Silverbowl Raceway sence 1983 and From what i remember there has ben ALOT of races run there before Rich showed up.)

whats that mean Fred. So what is your point, please make one at least. Or put the crabs back in your heli, and fly away.

Robert, I'm done! I cant tell if this is you or Rich...good by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.