Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Foam tyres

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm sorry to say but i have found ATS tyres to be one of the weakest that i have tried. I put on a brand new set of the christiani (white'ish rim) tyres and i clipped a timber, it wasn't a bad crash but more of a scrub. When i was inspecting the car after the race i found chunks of foam missing on the edge of the tyre and you could see where the plastic rim was stressed and a bit bent I have had similar if not worse crashes since then but while running Enneti tyres and the worst i can do is put a mark them. The ATS rims are extremely lite though so i suppose it's a compramise of weight V's durability. The ATS tyres accelerate better i suppose but as i'm not a world class driver i can't really notice any difference in tyres so for me durability is the biggest selling point. Enneti are definately the best tyres i have ever used, nitro-shoes would probably be the next best.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

I've been running Twisters this whole season (11 races by now) and am very happy with them. Yes, I've chunked an odd tire during that, but I have done the same before, previous few years I've used mainly GRP and some Enneti. I don't recall breaking a Twister wheel yet, but I've been using only the "normal" serpent-style wheels, not the lightweight ones. For the price (much cheaper than anything else available in EU) they are hard to beat.
If you're in Europe, I can warmly recommend http://www.storm-discount.com/ , I have ordered 3 times from them this summer, total of 100+ pairs, very good communication and reasonably quick delivery.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by freestyles
I'm sorry to say but i have found ATS tyres to be one of the weakest that i have tried. I put on a brand new set of the christiani (white'ish rim) tyres and i clipped a timber, it wasn't a bad crash but more of a scrub. When i was inspecting the car after the race i found chunks of foam missing on the edge of the tyre and you could see where the plastic rim was stressed and a bit bent I have had similar if not worse crashes since then but while running Enneti tyres and the worst i can do is put a mark them. The ATS rims are extremely lite though so i suppose it's a compramise of weight V's durability. The ATS tyres accelerate better i suppose but as i'm not a world class driver i can't really notice any difference in tyres so for me durability is the biggest selling point. Enneti are definately the best tyres i have ever used, nitro-shoes would probably be the next best.
Your issues that you're having is with ats light weight tyres not their regular rim..If you were to purchase the regular rim you would not have these issues, like you said you have to give up something to get a lightweight rim like that and like you I'm not a world class driver as well so I just stick to the regular ones and have no issues..
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have run a few IN 1/8.Grp,Msr,Kawahara,Twister and Jaco.The jaco prsims and the kawahara's have the toughest rim.jaco and twister are priced to sell.The grps have the weakest rim of them all but they did have alot of grip and were very light.The kawaharas are very nice offering tons of grip very sturdy and they never chunked but they are the most expensive.The msrs cost the same as the kawaharas but is comparable to twister in performance.
I like the twisters the best as they are the cheapest almost as light as the grps and can handle a few hits before chunking.My second favorite now is the jaco prisms as the rim is toughest of them so they are very hard to chunk/bend they have good grip and are the second cheapest.The thrid would be kawahara and then msr then grp.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Cant go wrong with Jacos..

http://jacoracing.net/nitroshoes_1_10.html
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Do you know if ATS make their 'normal' rim in another colour than yellow? Unfortunately i don't like yellow wheels but that's just me
Originally Posted by meronr
Your issues that you're having is with ats light weight tyres not their regular rim..If you were to purchase the regular rim you would not have these issues, like you said you have to give up something to get a lightweight rim like that and like you I'm not a world class driver as well so I just stick to the regular ones and have no issues..
Old 08-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you know if ATS make their 'normal' rim in another colour than yellow? Unfortunately i don't like yellow wheels but that's just me
They used to make them in white, but i'm not sure if they still make white ones along with the yellow rims though.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

they definitely make them in white and if not just get the twister tyres they are the same thing and I know you can get them in white
Old 08-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GRPs, Nitroshoes, and Kawaharas for me so far. Haven't tried the Prism setup yet. While the Kawahara's are a bit more expensive, they are really consistent. The GRP's are very very good tires with a great price and Ashford is the best place to get them.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Please post what scale you are running that way everybody knows what to look for in different scales.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

All i use now for my 1/10 is Enneti's. I still use the ATS 1/8 foams for my buggy though as we race our buggy's/trucks on ashpalt
Originally Posted by sm1nts2escape
Please post what scale you are running that way everybody knows what to look for in different scales.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

I run BSR and GRP. 1/10 tires. These two brands hold up on the best on low traction surfaces like where I race.